Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Tyre Protection Cover in Car Insurance
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
Tyres are subject to the abuse of varied road surfaces, unforgiving potholes and rugged patches. The repair costs of the tyre and tube is not a claimable event under a basic car insurance policy which is why a tyre protection cover must be opted in for. The tyre damage may have been caused due to burst or impact, flattening due to rough braking or damage due to sidewall bulging. Did you know the average cost of a high-end car tyre goes more than INR 1 lakh? And, this is why availing of a tyre protection cover makes complete sense.
Also read -
- Zero Depreciation Car Insurance
- Consumable Cover in Car Insurance
- Engine Protection Cover in Car Insurance
Features and Benefits of Tyre Protection Cover
- This add-on is valid for a maximum of 4 years.
- Any claims made for damages to the tyre under this add-on will not impact one’s No Claim Bonus amount.
- Allows to save big as a replacement, removing, refitting and rebalancing of a luxury car tyre is an expensive affair.
What is Covered Under a Tyre Protection Cover?
- The cost of adding a new tyre in place of the damaged tyre.
- The labour cost incurred for removing, replacing and rebalancing the tyre.
- The cost incurred due to accidental loss or damage to tyre and tubes due to bulge in the tyre, bursting of tyres or cut to the tyre.
What is not Covered Under a Tyre Protection Cover?
Standard exclusions are as follows –
- No claims can be made if the car was driven under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicating substances.
- No claims can be made if the car was driven by an individual who does not have a valid driver’s license.
- No claims will be entertained if there was contributory negligence on the part of the policyholder or if it was a voluntary act that caused the damage.
- No claim can be made for damages caused due to the depreciation of the automobile.
- No claim can be made for damages caused due to uninsured peril.
Other exclusions under such a policy are as follows –
- The cost of puncture and tyre repair is not covered.
- The damages caused due to manufacturing defects are not covered.
- The damages caused due to a defect in the service provided by an unauthorised service centre is not covered.
- The damages caused due to improper storage or transportation of the vehicle is not covered.
- The damages caused due to racing or a rally is not covered.
- The damages caused due to theft or vandalism of the tyre or tube.
- Any loss or damage arising due to theft of tyres and/ or illegal activities and are fraudulent in nature.
Who Should Buy Tyre Protection Cover?
Experts advise that the following individuals/ car owners must consider purchasing this additional cover –
- Ideally suitable for all car owners
- If you travel on a regular basis in your car
- If you prefer travelling in your own vehicle to hilly areas
- People with new/luxury cars
- People living in accident-prone areas
Factors to Keep in Mind Before Choosing This Cover
The company will indemnify the policyholder for the cost of replacing the damaged tyre with an equivalent tyre subject to the loss settlement criteria as specified by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
|Mean Residual Tread Depth of the Tyre(s) at the Time of Loss||Admissible Claim Amount|
|>= 7 mm||100% of the cost of new tyre(s)|
|>=6.5 and <=6.9 mm||85% of the cost of new tyre(s)|
|>=5 mm and <=6.4 mm||75% of the cost of new tyre(s)|
|>=3mm and <= 4.9 mm||50% of the cost of new tyre(s)|
The tyre will be measured at the centre of the tread and the mean of minimum 3 readings will be taken for the purpose of arriving at the mean residual tread depth which will be the basis of indemnity under this coverage
Also read -
Add ons for your Car Insurance
Tyre Protection Cover in Car Insurance FAQs
1. Does the tyre insurance add-on cover four tyres?
Only four tyre replacement claims are permitted in a policy period and hence, the tyre protection add-on only covers for four tyres.
2. Does a zero depreciation cover provide protection against tyre damage?
The Zero-depreciation cover offers a hundred percent coverage for all types of fibre, plastics, and metals but does not cover the replacement cost of tyres and tubes in case of a total loss of the insured vehicle.
3. Can claims be made for slashed tyres under the policy?
Slashed tyres are usually a product of vandalism and are not covered under the tyre protection cover. But certain measures can be taken on your end to prevent such vandalism from happening. For instance, you must ensure that your car is parked in a safe place where there is enough security available, install motor sensor lighting in the parking area, ensure that there are security cameras in the place where the car is being parked etc.
4. How much premium must be paid for this add-on?
The minimum insurance premium for a tyre protection add-on for a car is INR 200. This amount may vary as per the terms and conditions of the insurance company though.
5. Will the claim get rejected on grounds of incorrect information?
Misrepresentation or fraudulent representation of facts will result in the rejection of the claim. The insurance company will conduct a thorough background check before processing the claim, and will easily find out if the facts so stated are correct or not. Furthermore, one might get into legal trouble for making fraudulent claims as it is a criminal offence to do so.
You May Also Like
Recent ArticlesView All
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company offers various ways to check comprehensive, third-party, or own-damage car...Read More
The comprehensive car insurance policy offers better risk coverage on the road than third-party car insurance....Read More
Check out this list of the best ten smallest cars in India, ranked by features including price, gas economy, a...Read More
In a way, the most expensive cars are more than just cars; they are a statement of excellence in all aspects. ...Read More
One of the leading players in the Indian insurance marketplace, Bharti AXA has a lot to offer when it comes to...Read More