Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Jammu and Kashmir
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
Proceed without car number
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
You must have a valid driver's licence if you plan on driving through Jammu & Kashmir. The State Vehicle Department of Jammu and Kashmir enforces the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, which mandates that drivers must always have a valid driver's licence when behind the wheel. In addition, the region's Regional Transportation Authority gives out a driver's licence in Jammu and Kashmir.
It's not difficult to get a driving licence in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) if you know what to do. Complete instruction on applying for a driving licence in Jammu and Kashmir has been provided below. In addition, an international driving permit and licence renewal in Jammu and Kashmir can be obtained using the information we've mentioned below.
Different Types of Driving Licences in Jammu and Kashmir
- Two-wheeler licence- Motorcycles with an engine smaller than 50 cc also require a valid driving licence.
- Light Motor Vehicle licence- For motorcycles or moped vehicles with an engine capacity greater than 50 cc, you must have a valid light motor vehicle driving licence to operate the vehicle in the Jammu and Kashmir State.
- Motorcycle driving licence- To operate motorcycles without gears, this type of driving licence is issued. This type of licence allows users to ride any cc vehicles with the condition that the vehicle does not have any gears. Scooters and mopeds are issued this type of motor driving licence.
- Light motor vehicle licence- A light motor vehicle licence is a type of non-transportation licence. This type of licence can also be used for the commercial use of a light motor vehicle.
- Heavy Passenger vehicle licence or open licence- An open or heavy-passenger type of motor vehicle licence is issued for driving permits for all types of vehicles and trucks. A heavy passenger licence is also called the ‘All India Driving Permit.’
- Heavy goods motor vehicle licence- A driver's licence for a heavy-duty vehicle.
- Heavy trailer licence- People who currently need a heavy vehicle driving licence can apply for a heavy trailer licence.
What is The Eligibility Criteria To Avail Driving Licence In Jammu and Kashmir?
Applicants for a driving licence in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) must meet the following requirements:
- Ought to be 18 years old
- A learner's licence should already be on record.
- After 30 days or 180 days of receiving a learner's permit, you should apply for a permanent driver's licence
- Should be well-versed in all traffic laws and ordinances
- A commercial driver's licence requires a minimum age of 20 years
What are the Documents Required to Apply For A Driving Licence In Jammu and Kashmir?
The following documents must be submitted to the RTO to apply for a driver's licence in Jammu and Kashmir:
- Age proof
- Address proof
- Application form 4
- Valid original learner’s licence
- Three passport-sized photographs
- To obtain a commercial driver's licence, applicants must fill out application form 5
How To Obtain a Jammu and Kashmir Driver's Licence?
- Offline process: Users can visit the Regional Transport Office (RTO) and fill in the details in the application form. Potential licence holders also need to submit the necessary documents required to complete the process. After payment of application fees for the licence, you need to select and choose a date for your driving test. The RTO will grant users a Driving Licence if they pass the conducted test.
- Online Process for licence permit: To obtain a driving licence permit through online technique, users need to visit Parivahan Sewa's official website. On the website, various tabs regarding driving and transportation services are mentioned. From these tabs, you need to choose the 'Driving licence related services' tab, and then click on the 'Apply Online' tab. Here you can select the option 'New Driving Licence,' or ‘Renew Driving Licence’ and fill out the application form for the same. Upload all the required documents as mentioned and pay the necessary application fees through the payment portal on the website. Schedule a date for your driving test and visit the RTO office for your test. You will be granted a Driving Licence following successful completion of the test.
How Can You Obtain a Duplicate Driving Licence In The State Of Jammu and Kashmir?
To obtain a duplicate driving licence in Jammu and Kashmir, simply follow these simple steps:
- Xerox Copy of the Original Driving Licence
- Application Form 1
- Application form LLD
- If stolen, basic details of the driving licence
- An FIR Copy
- Challan clearance report (commercial DL)
- Application for a duplicate driving licence must be submitted. Application fees, valid address and age proof and a notarised affidavit mentioning the reason for applying for the duplicate licence must also be mentioned.
- Previous driving licence details and corresponding number must be attached and submitted along with the application.
How To Avail a Renewed Driving Licence In Jammu and Kashmir?
For 20 years or until the age of 50, a permanent driver's licence would be granted. A fresh one must be issued after that period. This can be done online or offline.
Following are the required documents:
- Two photos of passport size
- Receipt of INR 200/- application fee
- Age Proof (Self-attested)
- Address Proof (Self-attested)
- Form 9 from the Regional Transport Authority. Form 9 is a necessary form to be filled for renewal of driver's licence
- For vehicle drivers over forty years of age, they are required to submit Form 1A
- A xerox copy of the driver’s expired driving licence
How Can Drivers Obtain an International Driving Licence in the State Of Jammu and Kashmir?
To obtain an international driving permit in J&K State, applicants can choose to submit their application to the RTO authority either through the online portal or through the offline process. They're effective for one year. It is necessary to have a permanent driving licence even if there is no exam to obtain an international driving permit.
Following are the required documents:
- Nationality proof
- 5 Passport-size photographs
- Affidavit of authenticity for a permanent driver's licence
- Attested copy of proof of address
- Affidavit of authenticity for the visa
- Affidavit of attested copy of passport
- Medical Form 1-A
How To Avail a Commercial Driving Licence in Jammu and Kashmir?
In Jammu and Kashmir, you can obtain a commercial driver's licence through the online or offline process, as mentioned in the steps above. In Jammu and Kashmir, to obtain a commercial driver's licence, applicants need to submit the following documents:
- Address verification
- Identity verification
- Form 2
- Form 1A
- Form 5
- Passport-size photographs
How To Check Driving Licence Status in Jammu and Kashmir?
To find out if your Jammu and Kashmir driver's licence has been issued, go to their website and complete these steps:
- Select Online Services from the drop-down menu
- Then select Driving Licence Related Services
- Select Jammu and Kashmir as the state
- Select Apply Online from the drop-down option
- Select the 'Application Status' option
- Fill in the required information
- Fill in the Captcha
- Click the Submit button
Driving Licence Test Procedure in Jammu and Kashmir
Under the supervision of a Motor Vehicle Inspector, even in Jammu & Kashmir, driving licence tests are administered. An exam is required regardless of whether an applicant applied online or offline. It is also needed that they bring along a vehicle of the same class as that which will be tested. The driving school has a vehicle that can be borrowed for this purpose.
Add ons for your Car Insurance
FAQs on Driving Licence in Jammu and Kashmir
1. How can I verify if my driving licence has been renewed in Jammu and Kashmir?
An online check of your Jammu and Kashmir driving licence status can be done at saarthi.nic.in and an offline inquiry at the RTO where you applied for it.
2. What is the validity of the commercial licence issued in J&K?
A commercial licence in J&K is effective for three years.
3. Is it possible to obtain a driver's licence by attending a driving school?
One cannot get a driving licence by attending driving school. You simply need to apply to your school.
4. What is the validity of a learner’s licence in J&K?
A learner's licence in J&K is valid for six months.
5. How long does it take for a new driver's licence to be granted in Jammu and Kashmir?
It takes a week in Jammu and Kashmir to renew a driver's licence.
You May Also Like
Buy Insurance Plans
Recent ArticlesView All
How to Check SBI General Insurance Claim Status?
Have you recently claimed your SBI car insurance policy? If so, you may be wondering how to check the status o...Read More
A Guide to Checking HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Claim Status
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company offers various ways to check comprehensive, third-party, or own-damage car...Read More
Convert Your Third Party Car Insurance to Comprehensive Car ...
The comprehensive car insurance policy offers better risk coverage on the road than third-party car insurance....Read More
Permissible Car Insurance Claims in a Year
In India, having a valid car insurance coverage is obligatory by law. This implies that anybody who owns an au...Read More
Top 10 Small Cars in India – Price, Mileage, Specifications
Check out this list of the best ten smallest cars in India, ranked by features including price, gas economy, a...Read More
Top 10 Most Expensive Cars in India - Prices, Mileage, Specs...
In a way, the most expensive cars are more than just cars; they are a statement of excellence in all aspects. ...Read More
A Guide to Buy the Best CSD Car In 2022
If you have been planning to buy a CSD car in India, read on to know the prices of all the models in the categ...Read More
A Complete Guide to Different Bharti AXA Car Insurance Plans
One of the leading players in the Indian insurance marketplace, Bharti AXA has a lot to offer when it comes to...Read More
Mistakes to Avoid While Renewing Shriram Car Insurance Polic...
Shriram General Insurance, undoubtedly, offers best car insurance policies with attractive renewal features. B...Read More