Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
Tamil Nadu is a south Indian state of India that is known for its various pilgrimage sites and religious temples. Located at the southern end of India, the state has various famous beaches. The state is also famous for its delicious unique cuisines and very famous Bharatanatyam dance. Tamil Nadu is a populous state that follows strict guidelines for roads and transportation.
To drive freely anywhere and anytime on Tamil Nadu roads, the owner of the vehicle must have a Driving Licence (Sarathi) in Tamil Nadu. To apply for a Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu one can go to a nearby RTO or can apply online on the transport website.
Different Types of Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu
There are different Licences for different vehicles. Here are the types of Tamil Nadu state motor driving Licences:
- Medium Goods Vehicle: Including vans and carriage autos
- Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): Including private cars, jeeps, and taxis
- Heavy Goods Vehicle: Including trucks and tractors
- Road Roller: Vehicles used for construction
- Heavy Passenger Vehicle: Including buses and other passenger vehicles
- Motor Cycle without gear: Including vehicles without gear such as mopeds and scooters
- Motorcycle with Gear: Including all sorts of motorcycles with gear
What is the Eligibility Criteria to avail Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
Following is the eligibility criteria to obtain Learning Licence Tamil Nadu:
- For motorcycle without gear: 16 years minimum or above
- For a motorcycle with gear: 18 years minimum or above
- For commercial vehicle: 20 years minimum or above
- To apply for a permanent driving Licence, the applicant must have a learner’s Licence
- The Applicant can apply 30 days after the date of issues of learner’s Licence on or 180 days within the expiry of learner’s Licence.
What are the Documents Required To Apply For Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
Documents required for Driving Licence Tamil Nadu are:
- Original learning Licence
- Copy of age proof
- Duly filled application form no. 4
- Insurance certificate
- Copy of address proof
How to Apply For Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
Applying for Sarathi Driving Licence Tamil Nadu is easy both offline and online. The process is:
- Get to the Tamil Nadu state government website
- Download the application form for a driving Licence
- Submit the properly filled form with necessary documents to the nearby RTO office
- Select date and time for driving test
- Reach RTO office for test
- If cleared, the Licence will be delivered to the respective address
- Get to nearby RTO Tamil Nadu
- Collect the application form and duly fill the form
- Submit the form with necessary documents
- Select the date and time for the driving test
- Reach RTO office for test on selected time
- If cleared, the permanent Licence will be sent to the address
How to Get a Duplicate Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
If by any chance, the driving Licence is lost or misplaced, the applicant must apply for a duplicate Licence, online or offline. For
Duplicate Driving Licence Tamil Nadu, the applicant must submit a properly filled LLD application form with documents including a copy of FIR made for loss of driving Licence and details of the original Licence.
How to Get a Driving Licence Renewed in Tamil Nadu?
A Licence is valid only for 20 years and is to be renewed once it expires or once the applicant age reaches 50 years. For
Tamil Nadu Licence renewal, the applicant must submit renewal form no. 9 duly filled with documents including original documents, age and address proof, etc.
How to Apply for an International Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
For residents of Tamil Nadu to ride vehicles abroad, it is necessary to apply for a Licence for international driving. For this, the applicant must submit duly filled application form no. 4A with documents including valid driving Licence copy, visa copy, passport copy, etc.
How to Get a Commercial Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
To apply for Commercial Driving Licence Tamil Nadu, one needs to submit a properly filled form no. 8 with documents like a copy of the original driving Licence, Aadhaar card, proof of address, proof of age, etc.
How to Check a Driving Licence in Tamil Nadu?
To check the status of a driving Licence, one can get to the website where you have submitted a Tamil Nadu RTO application. On reaching this website, select the online service tab and then click on the driving Licence-related services tab, now get to apply online tab, finally, click on the status of the application. Here, enter the application no. and DOB with a captcha code. Finally, click submit to check the status of your driving Licence.
Driving Licence Test Procedure in Tamil Nadu
To obtain a valid driving Licence, the applicant should pass a Tamil Nadu learning Licence test. This test is conducted to test the driving skills of the applicant. The assigned inspector checks for the driving knowledge of the applicant in this test. Once the exam is cleared, the Licence will be sent to the registered address. If failed, an applicant can apply for the test again after 7 days of the test.
Recent ArticlesView All
Read this article to learn the most common reasons why car insurance claims are denied and the factors you sho...Read More
It's easy to get Future Generali Car Insurance, which may help you in case of an accident. Read this to know a...Read More
ICICI Lombard comprehensive car insurance policy is a feature-rich policy offering many benefits like 50% NCB,...Read More
This comparison article covers all the essential factors to consider when deciding to stay with or leave your...Read More
Confused about what to choose from the available car insurance options? Check this comprehensive guide to know...Read More
Many commit errors when filing a car insurance claim and receive painful claim application rejections. So, lea...Read More