Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in West Bengal
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
According to the State Transport Authority, Section 139 of the MVA (Motor Vehicles Act), it is mandatory for all motor vehicle owners to carry driving essentials while driving. These include a valid driving licence, pollution under control certificate, a valid insurance. Any person who is caught driving a vehicle on public roads not carrying the required documents will be subjected to pay a fine. Therefore, acquiring these documents becomes extremely important. On this page, we cover all the essential information you need to get a valid driving licence in West Bengal.
Different Types of Driving Licence in West Bengal
There are different types of driving licence (Saarthi) in West Bengal:
1. Light Motor Vehicle Licence: For driving light motor vehicles, like a car or a bike.
2. Heavy Motor Vehicle Licence: For driving heavy vehicles such as commercial trucks.
3. Medium Motor Vehicle Licence: For driving media/commercial vehicles such as delivery trucks, tempos, and minivans.
4. Commercial Motor Vehicle Licence: Driving box trucks, trailers, taxis, pickup trucks, etc.
5. Motorcycle With Gear Licence: For driving a bike with gears.
6. Motorcycle Without Gear Licence: For driving motorcycles with no gears, including scooters, mopeds, and vehicles not exceeding the limit of 50CC.
What is the Eligibility Criteria to Avail Driving Licence in West Bengal?
Any candidate willing to get a driving licence (Saarthi) in West Bengal, must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- Your age, as an DL applicant in West Bengal, should be or above 18.
- If you wish to apply for a DL for commercial vehicles, then you must have completed 20 years of age before applying.
- You must be having a valid learners' licence when applying for a DL.
- You must be having adequate knowledge of of the various applicable rules and regulations of West Bengal.
What are the Documents Needed to Apply for a Driving Licence in West Bengal?
The documents required to apply for a driving licence in West Bengal are:
- Address Proof (ration card, LIC policy bond, valid passport, voter's ID, employers certificate issued by the sate or central government
- Age Proof (birth certificate, high school certificate, passport, voters ID, etc.)
- 3 Passport Size Photos
- Valid Learner's Licence
- Medical Fitness Certificate
- Application Form 4
- Application Form 5 (in case of commercial DL)
How to Apply for a Driving Licence in West Bengal?
A driving licence (Saarthi) in West Bengal can be applied online or offline. Both the methods are given below.
Online method: Visit the official West Bengal Transport's website or Sarathi website. Select on the 'Apply Online' tab. Search the 'New Driving Licence' option and click on it to access the application form. Fill it out with correct details and submit it along with all the specified documents. To finalize the process, pay the fees. Appear for the driving test on the appointed date. If you clear the test, you will be granted a DL.
Offline method: The offline method is identical to the online method. Only difference is that for initiating the process, you have to visit a RTO office. Get an application form, fill it, submit the documents, and pay the fees. Give the driving test on the scheduled date.
How to Avail a Duplicate Driving Licence in West Bengal?
You would require the following documents to get a duplicate driving licence in West Bengal:
- Completely filled application form
- 2 passport-sized photographs
- A copy of the PAN card
- Report of challan clearance (commercial DL)
- FIR copy (if stolen)
- Damaged DL (if damaged)
- LLD application form
One can avail a duplicate DL in West Bengal through the online or offline methods mentioned above.
How to Avail a Renewed Driving Licence in West Bengal?
To renew your driving licence in West Bengal, you need to have the following documents.
- Duly filled application form
- A copy of DL
- Copy of identity proof
- Certificate of medical fitness
- 2 passport-sized phographs
- A copy of the PAN card
- Report of challan clearance (commercial DL)
One can avail of a renewed DL in West Bengal through the online or offline methods mentioned above.
How to Avail of an International Driving Licence in West Bengal?
In some countries, which don't recognize DL issued in India, you will be required to have an international driving licence to operate a motorized vehicle. You can apply for an international driving licence in West Bengal by bringing the following documents to the nearest RTO:
- Application form for international driving licence
- Valid Indian DL
- Report of challan clearance
- Medical fitness certificate
- Proof of identity
- Proof of residence
- 2 passport size photos
How to Avail of a Commercial Driving Licence in West Bengal?
For availing of a commercial driving licence (Saarthi) in West Bengal, you need the following documents:
● Address proof
● Identity proof
● Form 1A for medical fitness
● Form 5 by the training center
● Form 2 for CDL
● Passport-sized photographs
You can avail of the DL in West Bengal through the online or offline method mentioned above.
How to Check Driving Licence Status in West Bengal?
You can check the status of your West Bengal driving licence (Saarthi) online by following the procedures below:
1. Visit official Parivahan Sewa's website.
2. Select 'Online Services.' in the menu
3. Then click on 'Driving Licence Related Services.'
4. Select a West Bengal State and click on 'Apply Online'.
5. Click on 'Application Status.'
6. Enter the required details.
7. Click on 'Submit.'
Driving Licence Test Procedure in West Bengal
The driving licence test is conducted by an inspector from the RTO in West Bengal. This test assesses your understanding and awareness of the numerous traffic rules in West Bengal. Qualifying for the examination will grant you a learner's licence. Thirty days after LL avail, take your motor vehicle and LL for a driving test to show driving skills. Passing it will make you avail of permanent DL in West Bengal.
Add ons for your Car Insurance
Driving Licence in West Bengal FAQs
1. Are there any fees for driving tests to acquire a driving licence in West Bengal?
Yes, you have to pay INR 300 in West Bengal for the driving test.
2. What happens if I fail the driving test to avail DL in West Bengal?
In case you fail the driving test, you have to wait for 14 days. Then you can retake the driving test. However, you'll have to pay the fees again.
3. After passing the test, how long does it take to receive a driver's licence in West Bengal?
A driving licence in West Bengal is delivered within a month from the date of qualifying for the test.
4. Is Digilocker licence valid in West Bengal?
Yes, the West Bengal Transport Authority has accepted the Digilocker licence.
5. How many chances do I have to pass the test for getting a driving licence in West Bengal?
You will have a maximum of 3 chances. In case you fail in all of them, you have to restart the whole licence process.
Recent ArticlesView All
Availing a car insurance without a driving license can be possible under certain circumstances. Know what are ...Read More
Are you looking for the difference between third-party and first-party insurance? Learn the difference on the ...Read More
Difference between comprehensive and third-party car insurance: Comprehensive policy covers both own damages a...Read More