Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Thiruvananthapuram
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
Proceed without car number
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
Thiruvananthapuram is one of the leading cities in the state of Kerala. Keeping pace with the current trends, the vehicles plying in the city require a valid driving licence issued by the designated RTO, which functions as per the regulations of the 1988 Motor Vehicles Act. This page is a guide to the details about the driving licence practices followed in this city.
Different Types of Driving Licence in Thiruvananthapuram
There are several types of driving licence available as per the rules of the Thiruvananthapuram RTO, depending on the type of vehicle you intend to drive:
- Licence for bikes without gear like mopeds, scooters,etc.
- Licence for bikes with gear such as bullet, Yamaha, etc.
- Licence for light motor vehicles like bikes, cars, etc.
- Licence for medium motor vehicles such as tempo, van, etc.
- Licence for heavy motor vehicles like trailers, trucks, lorries, etc.
- Licence for other types of vehicles and special carriages for other purposes.
What is the Eligibility Criteria to Avail Driving Licence in Thiruvananthapuram?
The Thiruvananthapuram RTO issues driving licence to individuals only if they meet the following criterion, including:
- For a driving licence for any light motor vehicle, the applicant must be at least 18 years of age.
- A driving licence for any heavy motor vehicle, i.e., while obtaining a transport driving licence or commercial driving licence, the applicant must be at least 20 years of age.
- The individual can get a learner’s driving licence if he/she has completed 16 years of age.
Before applying for a permanent driving licence in any category, the concerned candidate must hold a learning licence Thiruvananthapuram for at least 30 days and within 180 days.
What are the Documents Required to Apply For Driving Licence in Thiruvananthapuram?
To obtain a permanent driving licence in Thiruvananthapuram Kerala, you have to keep the below documents handy:
- Application form 4
- Application fee and eye test certificate
- In case the applicant is above 50 years, then form 1 and 1A for medical and physical fitness certificate
- Address and age-proof documents
- Recent passport-size photographs
How to Apply for a Driving Licence in Thiruvananthapuram?
Any individual with a valid learning licence for at least 30 days can apply for a permanent driving licence in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. You can apply for this either online by visiting parivahan.gov.in/parivahan or offline by directly visiting the nearest RTO.
Online driving licence Thiruvananthapuram:
The driving licence application online Thiruvananthapuram is simple. All you need is to follow these simple steps for completing the procedure of applying for an online driving licence in Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala):
- Visit the official transport department website at parivahan.gov.in/parivahan.
- Then click on “apply online.”
- Choose “driving licence-related services.”
- Select the “new driving licence” option.
- Enter the relevant details and upload all the necessary documents.
- Avail a slot for a driving licence test.
Offline driving licence Thiruvananthapuram:
Observing the offline application procedure, you need to maintain these steps:
- Visit the nearest RTO.
- You can download the form from the website at keralamvd.gov.in or directly obtain it from the RTO.
- Fill out the form with relevant details.
- Schedule a slot for the driving test.
If you pass this test, the driving licence will be automatically delivered to your doorstep at the registered address via speed post within the next few days.
How to Get a Duplicate Driving Licence in Thiruvananthapuram?
Only when your driving licence is damaged, stolen or lost in Thiruvananthapuram you can apply for a duplicate driving licence. For that, you need to observe these few documents:
- LLD application form
- Application fee of INR 500 along with a service charge of INR 50
- In case the DL is stolen, the FIR copy is required
- Address and age-proof documents
You can apply for a duplicate DL in Thiruvananthapuram both online or offline mode. For an online application, you need to visit the official website at keralamvd.gov.in/i and click on “licences”, choosing “duplicate driving licence”.
You need to submit the specific relevant details. In doing so, the application number will be automatically generated. Then you must visit the nearest RTO along with all the necessary original documents.
How to Get a Driving Licence Renewed in Thiruvananthapuram?
You have to opt for driving licence renewal Thiruvananthapuram, once your permanent driving licence expires. A DL issued by Thiruvananthapuram RTO is valid for 20 years, or until the applicant’s age of 50 years, whichever comes earlier. The applicant gets a tenure of 30 days to renew the DL after expiry. You need to submit the following documents:
- Application Form 9
- Application fee of INR 200 and INR 300 after the expiration of the grace period of 30 days along with an additional service charge of INR 50
- Address and age-proof
- Form 1A and Form 1
- Passport-size photographs
The driving licence renewal Thiruvananthapuram is a hassle-free process, if it is applied within the tenure of the grace period, i.e., within 30 days of expiration. If this period is over, then the concerned applicant needs to pay an additional charge of INR 1000 annually. You can either opt for the driving licence renewal Thiruvananthapuram online or through the nearest RTO.
How to Apply for an International Driving Licence in Thiruvananthapuram?
To acquire an international DL in Thiruvananthapuram, you have to submit this list of documents:
- Valid visa
- Valid passport
- Application fee of INR 1000 plus a service charge of INR 200
- Valid air ticket
- Valid DL
- Recent passport size photograph
You can apply for it both online at keralamvd.gov.in or offline method, only if you have attained at least 18 years. All the documents will be verified and then the international DL will be issued. You can even download the application form from keralamvd.gov.in/index.php/forms/driving-licence.
How to Get a Commercial Driving Licence in Thiruvananthapuram?
Applications for a commercial driver's licence in Thiruvananthapuram are accepted both online through the Sarathi website and in-person with your nearest RTO.
- It is also necessary to submit an application along with Form No. 2.
- Form 5 must be filled out and a government driving school certificate must be obtained.
- The application process for a commercial driver's licence can proceed after you pass the test.
Driving Licence Test Procedure in Thiruvananthapuram
It is essential to pass the driving test before you can earn your driver's licence. The process is frequently monitored by an RTO inspector. During the inspection, the inspector would examine the applicant's driving skills and see if they were familiar with Indian road regulations and norms.
Add ons for your Car Insurance
Driving Licence in Thiruvananthapuram FAQs
1. How to get a commercial DL in Thiruvananthapuram?
Fill out the application form with necessary details and attach the required paperwork, pay the application cost, show up for the test, and a commercial driver's licence will be issued upon passing.
2. How to check DL status in Thiruvananthapuram?
You can check it out by visiting the RTO or keralamvd.gov.in.
3. What is the DL test process in Thiruvananthapuram?
Passing the driving test by appearing at the pre-scheduled date, time and venue after the application is mandatory. The results are declared on the same day.
4. Do I need to pay for a driving retest at Thiruvananthapuram RTO?
Yes, if you fail the first test and need to reappear, you have to pay the fee of INR 300 again.
5. What is the process for an online two-wheeler licence apply Thiruvananthapuram?
Visit the official website at keralamvd.gov.in or the nearest RTO to obtain the befitting application form and proceed accordingly for an online two-wheeler licence apply Thiruvananthapuram.
You May Also Like
Buy Insurance Plans
Recent ArticlesView All
How to Check SBI General Insurance Claim Status?
Have you recently claimed your SBI car insurance policy? If so, you may be wondering how to check the status o...Read More
A Guide to Checking HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Claim Status
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company offers various ways to check comprehensive, third-party, or own-damage car...Read More
Convert Your Third Party Car Insurance to Comprehensive Car ...
The comprehensive car insurance policy offers better risk coverage on the road than third-party car insurance....Read More
Permissible Car Insurance Claims in a Year
In India, having a valid car insurance coverage is obligatory by law. This implies that anybody who owns an au...Read More
Top 10 Small Cars in India – Price, Mileage, Specifications
Check out this list of the best ten smallest cars in India, ranked by features including price, gas economy, a...Read More
Top 10 Most Expensive Cars in India - Prices, Mileage, Specs...
In a way, the most expensive cars are more than just cars; they are a statement of excellence in all aspects. ...Read More
A Guide to Buy the Best CSD Car In 2022
If you have been planning to buy a CSD car in India, read on to know the prices of all the models in the categ...Read More
A Complete Guide to Different Bharti AXA Car Insurance Plans
One of the leading players in the Indian insurance marketplace, Bharti AXA has a lot to offer when it comes to...Read More
Mistakes to Avoid While Renewing Shriram Car Insurance Polic...
Shriram General Insurance, undoubtedly, offers best car insurance policies with attractive renewal features. B...Read More