Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Pune
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
A driving licence is a binding legal document that permits you to drive a vehicle in India. The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 defines the rules and regulations to govern driving licence management in the country. Accordingly, location-based RTOs have been established to shoulder the licencing authority responsibilities to function under the State Transport Department. And Pune is no exception in Maharashtra, empowered to comprehensively manage driving licence affairs besides transport-related functions mandated under the Act.
Various Types of Driving Licence (Saarthi) in Pune
- Gearless motorcycles: Granted for people who wish to drive motorcycles without gears
- Geared motorcycles: Granted for people who wish to drive motorcycles with gears
- Light motor vehicles: Granted for people who wish to drive light motor vehicles
- Medium goods and passenger vehicles: Granted for people who wish to drive medium motor vehicles
- Heavy goods and passenger vehicles: Granted for people who wish to drive heavy motor vehicles
- The Pune RTO also grants vehicles used in the infrastructure and construction industry licences.
Eligibility Criteria for a Driving Licence (Saarthi) in Pune
The Pune RTO has fixed the following eligibility criteria in harmony with the MV Act. The applicant must check the norms before applying.
- Minimum 16 years for 50 CC or lower engine capacity vehicles supported with parent’s consent
- Minimum 18 years for non-transport two and four-wheelers in the light motor vehicle category
- Minimum 20 years for the transport vehicles comprising the medium and heavy for commercial use
- The applicant can apply for the permanent licence within the 180 days validity of the learner licence but after 30 days from the issue date.
Required Documents to Apply for a Driving Licence (Saarthi) in Pune
It is already understood that the driving licence is issued in two phases – learner and permanent. Thus, the requirement is elaborate for the learner, regardless of offline or online driving licence in Pune, where you must submit the following:
- Application in Form 2
- Medical certificate and declaration in forms 1 and 1A
- Address and age proof
- Recent stamp-sized photographs
- Requisite fees
- Form 4 for non-transport vehicle
- Form 5 for transport vehicle
- Driving refresher certificate for the commercial vehicle
Procedure to Obtain a Driving Licence in Pune
Online process: Visit the Parivahan portal and choose “Online Services” on the menu bar to open a dropdown menu. Select “Driving Licence-Related Services” to open a new page. Then, choose Maharashtra from the menu. A page opens with icons displaying all the driving licence functions. Choose Learner Licence and navigate to complete the application process. Fix an appointment for the test to appear and earn the learner’s licence after passing.
Offline process: Visit your nearest RTO and fill in the application form. Submit the documents and pay the fee. Now, book a date for your driving test and qualify the test to be granted a DL.
Procedure to Obtain a Duplicate Driving Licence (Saarthi) in Pune
You must apply immediately for a duplicate driving licence if the original is defaced, lost or stolen as not carrying the document on the driving person is an offence under the MV Act. The mandatory documents to submit, whether online or offline, are:
- Form LLD for the application
- Defaced or damaged driving licence
- A valid police report if the licence is lost or stolen
- Driving licence details if not submitted physically
Procedure to Obtain a Renewed Driving Licence (Saarthi) in Pune
The driving licence issued in Pune is valid for a specific period. Therefore, you must apply for Pune driving licence renewal as the expiry date nears. The most convenient way here is to go with driving licence renewal online in Pune with the following documents.
- Apply using form 9
- Form 1A for the medical certificate
- Original driving licence
- Recent stamp-sized photographs
Procedure to Obtain an International Driving Licence in Pune
The International Driving Permit has limited validity for driving in foreign lands. The documents to submit are:
- Application in Form 4A
- Copy of Indian Passport and a valid Visa
- Permanent driving licence
- Recent coloured photographs
Procedure to Obtain a Commercial Driving Licence in Pune
The commercial driving licence is issued to applicants planning to drive transport vehicles for ferrying cargo and passengers. You will need the following documents while applying for the same, online or offline:
- Address proof
- Identity proof
- Form 2
- Form 1A
- Form 5
- Passport-sized photos
Process of Checking the Status of Driving Licence in Pune
You can check the status of your driving licence (Saarthi) in Pune through the following steps:
- Visit Parivahan Sewa’s official website.
- Click on 'Online Services.'
- Click on 'Driving Licence Related Services.'
- Choose the state as 'Maharashtra.'
- Click on the drop-down menu titled 'Apply Online.'
- Click on ‘Application Status’.
- Enter the required details.
- Enter the Captcha and submit.
Procedure for Driving Test in Pune
It is already understood that the driving licence in Pune is issued to the applicant in two phases. Accordingly, the applicant appears for two tests before obtaining the licence. The test for the learner licence is an online affair to evaluate knowledge about the Pune transport rules. On the other hand, the driving competence test evaluates the applicant’s driving skills. A Motor Vehicle Inspector conducts the test and declares the outcome on the spot. The DL is issued subsequently.
Add ons for your Car Insurance
FAQs on How to Get a Driving Licence in Pune
1. What is the initial validity of the permanent driving licence issued in Pune?
The LMV driving licence validity is 20 years from the issue date or the holder’s 50 years of age, whichever is earlier.
2. Can you renew the driving licence in Pune after default?
If the Pune driving licence defaulted in renewal even after the 30-day grace, it is renewed within five years subject to payment of the levied penalty.
3. Does the Pune RTO issue a Smart Card driving licence?
Yes, the Pune RTO issues Smart card driving licences to all the online and offline applicants.
4. How much is the validity for IDP issued at the Pune RTO?
The usual validity period for the Pune RTO’s International Driving Licence is one year from the issue date.
5. What is the official website for Pune RTO?
The official website of Pune RTO is https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in/1035/Home.
You May Also Like
Recent ArticlesView All
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company offers various ways to check comprehensive, third-party, or own-damage car...Read More
The comprehensive car insurance policy offers better risk coverage on the road than third-party car insurance....Read More
In a way, the most expensive cars are more than just cars; they are a statement of excellence in all aspects. ...Read More
One of the leading players in the Indian insurance marketplace, Bharti AXA has a lot to offer when it comes to...Read More
Shriram General Insurance, undoubtedly, offers best car insurance policies with attractive renewal features. B...Read More