Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Maharashtra
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
For driving any vehicle on the roads of Maharashtra state, you would require a valid Driving Licence for sure, as per the 1988 enacted Motor Vehicles Act, as it is illegal to drive motor vehicles in Maharashtra without a valid DL. Typically, the Regional Transport Authority of Maharashtra issues the Saarthi, headed by the commissioner of transport of the respective region. The RTO is responsible for giving national and international DL, renewed DL, complying with the traffic rules, etc. So here we are, about to look at the process of applying for a Maharashtra driving licence in a detailed manner.
Types of Driving Licence in Maharashtra
There are various types of DLs in Maharashtra, India which include the following-
- LMV Licence- Issued to individuals who want to ride light motor vehicles such as bikes, scooters, cars.
- Medium Motor Vehicle Licence- Applicable for vehicles such as delivery trucks and tempos having medium motors.
- Heavy Motor Vehicle Licence- Applicable for individuals required to drive commercial trucks and buses.
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Licence- It includes commercial taxis, trailers, etc.
- Motorcycle without Gear Vehicle- It means a motorcycle with a gear of less than 50cc.
- Motorcycle with Gear Vehicle- Individuals who want to drive geared motorcycles of more than 50CC.
Maharashtra (MH) Driving Licence (DL) Eligibility Criteria:
These conditions must be satisfied by each applicant before moving forward as below:
- The applicant must possess a valid learner’s licence.
- For a 2-wheeler with an engine capacity less than 50cc, the applicant must be over 16 years of age.
- Applicants must only apply for a permanent DL 30 days after acquiring the learner’s licence.
- While applying for a commercial driving licence, the applicant must be above 20 years of age.
Documents Needed for Obtaining a Driving Licence (Saarthi) in Maharashtra:
- Educational certificate
- Birth certificate
- Employer issued certificate if you are working for central/state governments
Residence Proof: Passport
- Voter’s ID
- Ration card
- LIC policy bond
- Local body/State/Central government-issued certificate for public servants
- Original learner’s licence
- Application form 4
- 3 passport-sized photos
- Application form 5 for commercial driving licence
How to Apply in Maharashtra (MH) for a Driving Licence?
- Online- Visit the website and click on “e-services.” Now, select" DL-related services" and then “Apply online.” Next, click on "new DL.” Fill up the details and upload scanned documents. Pay the prescribed fee and book a slot at your nearest RTO for the test.
- Offline- You will require to visit the nearest local RTO and ask for the application form. Fill in necessary details, and submit documents and the application form. Next comes the slot booking for the DL test.
How to Get a Duplicate Driving Licence in Maharashtra?
If you have lost your driving licence or someone stole it, you can apply for a duplicate driving licence. It can be done through both online and offline modes. The documentation needed is as follows:
- Copy of the original DL
- Application Form 1
- Application form LLD
- If stolen, details of the driving licence
- If stolen, a copy of the FIR
- Challan clearance report (commercial DL)
How to Renew Your Driving Licence in Maharashtra?
You can follow either online or offline mode for DL renewal. If you are above 40 years, file your application in Form 1A. Other documents required are:
- Self-attested age proof
- Self-attested address proof
- Application Form 9 for DL renewal
- Form 1A (for drivers over 40 years of age)
- Copy of the expired DL
Method of Applying for an International Driving Licence in Maharashtra
An eligible Maharashtra resident can apply for an online or offline international driving licence. Following documents are required-
- Valid residence proof attested copy
- Valid nationality proof
- Attested photocopies of passport, valid driving licence, and visa
- Medical form- 1A
- 5 passport photographs
How to Avail of a Commercial Driving Licence in Maharashtra?
The following documents are required for a commercial DL in Maharashtra:
- Application form- 1A, 2, 5
- Address Proof
- Identity Proof
- Photographs of passport size
How to Check Driving Licence in Maharashtra?
Follow the steps given below after visiting the Saarthi website:
- Click Online Services
- Select DL-related services
- Select “Maharashtra”
- Click “Apply Online”
- Click “Application status”
- Submit credentials
- Submit Captcha
Maharashtra’s Driving Licence Test Procedure
In Maharashtra, the driving test for releasing a driving licence to an individual is conducted at the RTO premise of the applicant’s jurisdiction in the presence of the Motor Vehicles Inspector. To attend this test, the applicants must visit the RTO on the scheduled date of the test in their vehicle. The class of the vehicle brought must match the one that was mentioned in the application. The licence tests will be conducted separately for the 2-wheeler and 3-wheeler categories and the 4-wheeler category.
Add ons for your Car Insurance
FAQs on How to Get a Driving Licence in Maharashtra
1. How to change the address present in a Maharashtra driving licence?
Follow below steps-
- Submit your documents through online mode
- Pay the service charges online
- Go to the RTO office
- Complete the biometric evaluation process
- Submit proofs for the new residential address
- Obtain your DL in 2 to 3 weeks through Indian Post
- Where can I apply for a learner’s licence in Maharashtra?
You must apply for a learner’s licence from your residential area’s Road Transport Office.
2. Should I bring my car to the RTO to attend the Maharashtra driving licence test?
Yes. It is advisable to take your car to the test location. But, if you don't have it, you can take your driving school's car to attend the test.
3. What if I need any corrections in my DL?
The application seeking correction in your existing DL must be submitted at the same RTO that issued the licence before. You are also then required to furnish the below list of docs:
- Supporting docs
- Application Form
- DL Copy
4. Which documents must be kept in hand when driving in Maharashtra?
- Vehicle’s insurance copy
- Vehicle’s registration certificate
You May Also Like
Recent ArticlesView All
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company offers various ways to check comprehensive, third-party, or own-damage car...Read More
The comprehensive car insurance policy offers better risk coverage on the road than third-party car insurance....Read More
In a way, the most expensive cars are more than just cars; they are a statement of excellence in all aspects. ...Read More
One of the leading players in the Indian insurance marketplace, Bharti AXA has a lot to offer when it comes to...Read More
Shriram General Insurance, undoubtedly, offers best car insurance policies with attractive renewal features. B...Read More