Star Health and Allied Health Insurance
Star Health and Allied Health Insurance is the first standalone health insurance provider in India. It has been selling some of the best and most popular health insurance policies ever since it commenced operations in 2006. The company is well-known for offering economical health insurance plans that are very comprehensive. The Star Health plans are available for families, senior citizens, pregnant women and individuals as well. The company has a very good online presence and so buying health plans online is an easy thing to do.
The best-selling Star Health plans
Name of plan
|Star Family Health Optima Insurance Plan|
|Star Senior Citizens Red Carpet Health Insurance Policy|
|Star Health Super Surplus Insurance Policy|
|Star Comprehensive Insurance Policy|
|Star Gain Health Insurance Policy|
|Star Diabetes Safe Insurance Policy|
|Star Wedding Gift|
|Star Health Corona Rakshak Policy|
Benefits of Star Health Insurance plans
- The Star Health plans bring economic medical insurance within the reach of many people and this is one of the biggest advantages on offer
- Star Health has a wide range of health covers on offer, such as family health plans, senior citizen health plans, diabetic health plans, maternity plans, etc
- The Star Health plans have a wide range of benefits and covers including in-patient care, post and pre-hospital covers, domiciliary care, daycare procedures, OPD covers and so on
- The company has close to 10,000 hospitals across the country on its list of network hospitals, making it easy for you to find a medical centre of your choice
- Most of the Star Health insurance plans have the lifelong renewability option
- The company has an in-house claim settlement team, which makes it simple for the policyholders to get cashless claims in less than 2 hours
What is covered?
The health insurance plans from Star Health usually have the following covers:
- Inpatient care: Hospitalisation expenses, including room rent, physicians’ fees, surgery expenses, diagnostic tests, etc
- Ambulance charges: The plans pay for emergency ambulance charges
- Daycare charges: Many a time, you do not need to get admitted for 24 hours in the hospital for procedures known as daycare procedures. These procedures are covered under the daycare expenses in the Star Health plans
- Domiciliary expenses: When treatment is sought at home, it is known as domiciliary healthcare. Star Health covers domiciliary treatment
- Alternative health care: Apart from allopathic treatments, the plans also cover alternative forms of treatment such as Homoeopathic and Ayush treatments
- Cover for organ donation: When a policyholder needs to undergo an organ restoration surgery or procedure, he or she can get coverage from the Star Health Insurance plans
- Restoration of the sum insured: Most of the mediclaim plans from Star Health give the option of 100% sum insured restoration after a claim has been made on the policy.
What are the common exclusions?
Like all health plans, the medical insurance policies from Star Health also have a few exclusions. You should be aware of those before you get the plan. They are:
- Any ailment contracted within the first month of buying the health insurance policy will not be covered unless the policyholder has ported from another company having completed the waiting period previously
- Dental treatments are usually not covered unless an extra coverage has been opted for
- Convalescence expenses, including ailments related to nutritional deficiency
- Any injury arising from attempted suicide or any other form of self-harm
- Any ailments related to mental health problems or behavioural problems
- Any injury or ailment resulting from substance abuse such as alcohol, drugs, tobacco, etc
- Any sexually transmitted disease, including HIV/AIDS
- Any injury resulting from warlike situations or any man-made calamity
- Any injury caused by a nuclear weapon
The process to buy a Star Health plan
You can buy any Star Health insurance plan online or through an insurance agent. Star Health has over 2.5 lac agents working across India.
- Buying via an insurance agent - Your first option is to buy the health plan via an insurance agent. You can contact a Star Health agent and buy a suitable health plan with the help of him or her. Make sure you go over the policy wordings and understand the benefits before you buy it. Do not get influenced by the agent’s words alone, as you need to get the best plan in an unbiased manner.
- Buying at the insurer’s office - You can also visit any branch or office of Star Health Insurance and get the plan of your choice. Physically submit the documents and pay the premium and the plan will be issued to you without any problems.
- Buying on the official website - You can go to Star Health Insurance Company’s official website and buy the plan of your choice. Buying online helps to make a completely unbiased choice. You also save money as you do not have to pay any brokerage. The administrative fees and processing fees are also lower when you buy online and so you end up paying less for an online health plan.
- Buying via an insurance aggregator’s website - You can also visit a trusted insurance aggregator’s portal and get the plan from there. This is generally a safe practice, but sadly there are some online frauds and you should be careful when buying a Star Health Plan from an insurance aggregator’s portal.
You can choose any of these options and get a good Star Health plan that matches all the health requirements of you as well as your family members.
Star Health Insurance Renewal
It is very easy to renew a Star Health Insurance plan. All you have to do is visit
https://www.starhealth.in/customerportal/instant-renewal and follow the steps there. You can make the payment online and renew your medical insurance coverage. You must renew your plan on time, else it will lapse and you may end up losing your coverage. You may also lose other benefits such as the no-claim bonus or the sum insured restoration benefit. Keep an eye on the expiration date and renew the plan on time.
Other popular Star Health Insurance plans
Apart from the plans listed above, Star Health also has a handful of other useful plans that can be of great use to you. Here are a few of those:
Name of the plan
|Star Unique Health Insurance Policy|
|Star Criticare Plus|
|Star Cardiac Care Policy|
|Star Cancer Care Gold|
|Star Micro Health Insurance|
|Star Special Care Policy|
|Star Health Gain|
|Star Family Delite||This is a very useful family floater health plan that covers all members of the family between the age of five months and 65 years.|
|Star Micro-Rural and Farmers Care|
|Star Hospital Cash||This policy offers a lump sum amount of money for each day you remain hospitalised.|
|Star Outpatient Care||The Star Outpatient Care plan offers coverage for all expenses incurred during OPD consultations.|
|Star Young Star||A health plan available to people aged between 18 years and 40 years, it offers many benefits including mental health coverage and maternity coverage.|
|Star Corona Kavach||This is a health insurance plan dedicated to the expenses incurred in the treatment of COVID 19.|
|Star Novel Coronavirus||Star Novel Coronavirus policy is an affordable family floater health plan that offers protection for the whole family against COVID 19.|
|Star Arogya Sanjeevani||This is a basic mediclaim policy that offers a sum insured of up to INR 5 lacs.|
|Star Family Accident Care|
|Star Accident Care Individual|
|Star Student Care||The Star Student Care plan is exclusively designed to offer medical insurance coverage to students across the country.|
Star Health Insurance Claim Process
It is very easy to make a claim for Star Health Insurance plans. The company does not use a TPA, so the claims are settled directly and very quickly within 2 hours. The claim settlement process is so efficient that it has been lauded by the Hindustan MaRs Survey and Star Health has been called the best claim settlement company.
The first thing that you need to do when making a claim is informing the company. You need to inform the insurance provider at the earliest about your hospitalisation. If it is a planned hospital stay, then you need to inform them at least 48 hours before you get admitted. In the case of an emergency, you should inform Star Health within 24 hours of getting admitted. Just call on 1800 425 2255 (toll-free) and inform the insurer about it.
Depending on the hospital that you seek admission in, you can make a claim. Let us take a look:
- Cashless Claim
As mentioned above, Star Health has a tie-up with close to 10,000 network hospitals. You can get admitted in any network hospital and avail the cashless facility. Produce your Health Card/ Policy Card at the TPA Desk of the network hospital. You need to fill the cashless claim form and submit it to the hospital at the time of getting admitted. The hospital/ the TPA agents will contact the company and the company will settle your bills directly.
- Reimbursement Claim
When you get admitted and treated in a non-network hospital, you need to pay the bill out of your own pocket and then get it reimbursed from Star Health Insurance.
For a reimbursement claim, you need to download the claim form from the insurer’s website, fill it out and submit it along with the required documents. Star Health will go over the documents and if satisfied, reimburse you for the expenses incurred. The documents needed for this include:
- The claim form, duly filled and signed
- Policy document
- Photo ID of the policyholder
- Physician’s advice calling for hospitalisation
- Original prescriptions of doctors prescribing drugs or diagnostic exams
- Discharge summary
- The original FIR copy, in case the hospitalisation resulted out of an accident
- All the bills and memos in original
You can visit the Star Health’s official website and get more information on the claim process and also get the list of all the documents needed.
Star Health Insurance Contact Information
You can call on the toll-free number 1800 425 2255 and speak directly with a customer care executive.
You can drop an email to email@example.com
If you want to post a grievance, you can mail to:
The Manager - Customer Care,
Star Health & Allied Insurance Co. Ltd,
No.1, New Tank Street, Valluvarkottam High Road,
Chennai - 600 034.
You can visit www.starhealth.in/locate-us and find the nearest branch.
Star Health Insurance Review
Star Health Insurance is a premium health insurance provider in India. The company is one of the oldest and most trusted health insurance companies in the country. It offers pocket-friendly health plans that offer a wide range of wholesome covers. The company also has a very good claim process, along with an efficient customer support team. This makes it easy for the policyholders to buy and service their plans as and when needed.