Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Bihar
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
Proceed without car number
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
Under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, the government of India made it mandatory to hold a driving licence (DL) to be able to drive a motor vehicle.
The Regional Transport Authority of Bihar is responsible for issuing driving licences. This department also takes care of other services such as licence fees, renewal of a driving licence, issuing smart card driving licence, international driving licence, traffic violation fines, tax collection, etc.
Different Types of Driving Licence in Bihar
The type of driving licence in Bihar depends on the kind of vehicle the person drives.
- Motorcycle Without Gear Licence: This type of licence is issued to people driving a motorcycle with gears such as a moped or scooter.
- Motorcycle With Gear: This type of licence is issued to people driving a motorcycle without gears.
- Light Motor Vehicle Licence (LMV): This type of licence is issued to people who want to drive a light motor vehicle, such as a car or a bike.
- Heavy Motor Vehicle Licence (HMV): This licence is issued to people who wish to drive heavy motor vehicles such as commercial trucks, lorries, etc.
- Medium Motor Vehicle Licence: This type of licence is issued to people driving medium vehicles like minivans and tempos
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Licence: This is issued to people driving commercial vehicles such as trucks.
What is the Eligibility Criteria to Avail Driving Licence in Bihar?
The Regional transport authority of Bihar has set the following conditions as to eligibility criteria to obtain a driving licence in Bihar.
- The applicant should have attained the minimum age of 16.
- For a permanent driver's licence, the applicant should have attained the age of 18 and must hold a learner's licence.
- Should have at least 20 years of age for a commercial or a transport vehicle licence.
- The applicant can obtain a permanent driving licence in Bihar only after 30 days or within 180 days of obtaining a learner’s licence.
- Must be familiar with Bihar traffic rules and regulations.
What are the Documents Required to Apply for Driving Licence in Bihar?
The applicant must submit the following documents to obtain a driving licence in Bihar:
- Age proof: Birth certificate, Aadhar card, Voters ID, passport, etc
- Address Proof: PAN card, Aadhar card, Ration card, Utility bills, SSC certificate, etc
- Valid learner's licence
- 3 passport-sized photographs
- Application Form 4
- Application form 5 for a commercial driving licence
How to Apply for a Driving Licence in Bihar?
An applicant can obtain an online driving licence in Bihar and an offline driving licence.
- Online method: Visit the official Sarathi website and click on the ‘Drivers/ Learners Licence’ under the 'Licence Related Services’ section. Select ‘Bihar’ as your state in the drop-down menu. Now click on the ‘Apply for Driving Licence’ option available on the page. You will be redirected to a page containing instructions regarding the driving licence application online in Bihar. Click on 'Continue' at the bottom and fill in the details. Upload the requirements. Book a slot online for the driving licence test and pay the driving licence fees.
- Offline method: Visit the Regional Transport Authority (RTA) office and collect the application form. Fill out the form and submit it by attaching the required documents. Then, pay the application fee and book a slot for the driving test. The RTO office will grant you a DL if you pass the test.
How to Avail a Duplicate Driving Licence in Bihar?
Documents required for obtaining a duplicate driving licence in Bihar are as follows:
- Copy of the original DL
- Application form LLD
- Torn/damaged DL
- Copy of the FIR, if DL is stolen
- 2 passport-sized photographs
- Aadhar card
You can avail of a duplicate DL in Bihar by submitting a driving licence application online in Bihar through the Parivahan Sewa portal or offline method.
How to Renew Driving Licence in Bihar?
In Bihar, a DL is valid for 20 years or until 50, whichever is earlier. The following documents are required for driving licence renewal online in Bihar:
- Application Form 9
- Medical certificate form 1A (issued for transport vehicles)
- Physical fitness form 1 (for private vehicles)
- Driver refreshing training document (for a heavy motor vehicle or HMV)
- Aadhar card
- Driving licence
- 3 passport-sized photographs
You can do your driving licence renewal online in Bihar online or offline.
How to Obtain an International Driver’s Permit in Bihar?
If you want to drive a motor vehicle abroad, you can apply for International Driver's Permit (IDP) in Bihar by submitting:
- Valid driving licence
- Valid passport
- Valid visa
- 3 passport-sized photographs
- Attested copy of the driving licence
- Attested copy of address proof
- Medical certificate form 1A
- International driving licence form 4A
- Age proof
- Aadhar card
You can avail of an international driving licence through the online or offline method.
How to Avail a Commercial Driving Licence in Bihar?
For availing of a commercial/transport driving licence in Bihar, you need the following documents:
- Address proof
- Identity proof
- Form 4 (application form)
- Form 1A (medical certificate form)
- Form 5 (only for those who trained through a Driving School)
- Passport-sized photographs
You can avail the same through the online or offline method mentioned above.
How to Check Driving Licence Status in Bihar?
You can check the status of your online driving licence in Bihar through the government's portal, using the following steps:
- Visit Sarathi official website.
- Click on the 'Drivers/Learners Licence' tab under the 'Licence Related Services' section.
- Choose the state as 'Bihar.'
- Click on ‘Application Status’ in the top bar menu.
- Enter required details like application number and date of birth.
- Click on 'Submit.'
Driving Licence Test Procedure in Bihar
To obtain a DL, the state government of Bihar mandates an applicant to undergo a driving licence test in the presence of a motor vehicle inspector. In addition to this test, an online exam related to traffic rules and regulations in Bihar is also conducted. If the applicant passes both tests, he will receive the driving licence within a few days. On the other hand, if the applicant fails the test, he can reappear after 7 days.
Add ons for your Car Insurance
FAQs on How to Get a Driving Licence in Bihar
1. How To Check Driving Licence Application Status Online in Bihar?
You can check the status of DL by visiting the central government's Sarathi website.
2. Is a Driving Licence Issued in Bihar Valid Across India?
Yes, a driving licence issued in Bihar is valid across the country.
3. What is the Fee to Avail of an International DL in Bihar?
The fee for an international Driver's Permit in Bihar is INR 1000.
4. Should I Pay Any Fees for Undergoing a Driving Licence Test in Bihar?
Yes, you should pay a fee of INR 50 for the driving licence test in Bihar.
5. Is Obtaining a Driving Licence Certificate Mandatory?
Obtaining a driving licence certificate is not mandatory unless you apply for a commercial vehicle licence.
You May Also Like
Buy Insurance Plans
Recent ArticlesView All
How to Check SBI General Insurance Claim Status?
Have you recently claimed your SBI car insurance policy? If so, you may be wondering how to check the status o...Read More
A Guide to Checking HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Claim Status
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company offers various ways to check comprehensive, third-party, or own-damage car...Read More
Convert Your Third Party Car Insurance to Comprehensive Car ...
The comprehensive car insurance policy offers better risk coverage on the road than third-party car insurance....Read More
Permissible Car Insurance Claims in a Year
In India, having a valid car insurance coverage is obligatory by law. This implies that anybody who owns an au...Read More
Top 10 Small Cars in India – Price, Mileage, Specifications
Check out this list of the best ten smallest cars in India, ranked by features including price, gas economy, a...Read More
Top 10 Most Expensive Cars in India - Prices, Mileage, Specs...
In a way, the most expensive cars are more than just cars; they are a statement of excellence in all aspects. ...Read More
A Guide to Buy the Best CSD Car In 2022
If you have been planning to buy a CSD car in India, read on to know the prices of all the models in the categ...Read More
A Complete Guide to Different Bharti AXA Car Insurance Plans
One of the leading players in the Indian insurance marketplace, Bharti AXA has a lot to offer when it comes to...Read More
Mistakes to Avoid While Renewing Shriram Car Insurance Polic...
Shriram General Insurance, undoubtedly, offers best car insurance policies with attractive renewal features. B...Read More