Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Karnataka
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
Proceed without car number
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
Karnataka is one of India's fastest-growing states, with more people moving there every year. People are enjoying better lives today than they have ever before, thanks to the multitude of professional alternatives available in the state. The younger generation prefers to drive their cars rather than rely on public transportation. One of the main reasons for this is the ease with which a driver's licence may be obtained in Karnataka. If you are interested in getting a driving licence in Karnataka, here is all you need to know.
Different Types of Driving Licence in Karnataka
When applying for a driving licence in the state, one can choose from the following types of vehicles:
- Light Motor Vehicle Licence: Issued to people who want to drive a light motor vehicle.
- Medium Motor Vehicle Licence: Issued to people who wish to drive medium/commercial vehicles.
- Heavy Motor Vehicle Licence: Issued to people who wish to drive heavy vehicles.
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Licence: Issued to people who wish to drive commercial vehicles.
- Motorcycle With Gear Licence: Issued for people who wish to drive motorcycles with gears.
- Motorcycle Without Gear Licence: Issued for people who wish to drive motorcycles without gears.
Eligibility Criteria To Avail Driving Licence in Karnataka
After selecting a vehicle type, each applicant must review the eligibility requirements for obtaining a driver's licence in Karnataka. The requirements for obtaining a driver's licence in Karnataka are as follows:
- Applicants must be at least 18 years to avail a driving licence
- A valid learner licence
- The applicant must apply for a permanent driver's licence within 30 days of receiving the learner licence or within 180 days of receiving the learner licence.
- All traffic rules and regulations should be well-understood by applicants.
Necessary Documents to Apply for a Driving Licence in Karnataka
When applying for a driving licence in Karnataka, several documents must be copied and attached.
- Age proof
- Address Proof
- Learner’s licence
- Passport-sized photos
- Application form and fees
How To Apply for Driving Licence in Karnataka?
In Karnataka, applying for a driver's licence in person is relatively simple and can be done online or offline.
- Online process: You have to visit the official website of Parivahan Sewa and apply for a new driving licence. The website would redirect you to several different pages. Pay the fees online and book a slot for the driving test.
- Offline process: You have to visit the RTO office and fill the form. After submitting all the documents, pay the fee and book a lot for the driving test.
Procedure for Obtaining a Duplicate Driving Licence in Karnataka
A duplicate driving licence in Karnataka can be availed through an online or offline process. The following documents must be presented to the RTO while applying for a duplicate driving licence in Karnataka:
- If the driving licence is stolen, a copy of the application form LLD FIR will be required.
- If you have a commercial driving licence, Form 1 is required.
- Copy of proof of age and address
- If the licence is stolen, copies of the original licence and the licence number are required.
How to Get a Driving Licence Renewed in Karnataka?
When your initial driver's licence expires, you can renew it in Karnataka by an online or offline process. The following are the requirements for renewing a driver's licence in Karnataka:
- Completely filled out Form 9
- A copy of the expired driver's licence
- If the driver is over 40 years old, a medical certificate and Form 1 A are required.
- Two passport-size photos
- Age and address proof copies (self-attested)
- An application fee of INR 200
How to Avail an International Driving Licence in Karnataka?
In Karnataka, you can apply for an international driving licence both online and offline. When applying for an international driving licence in Karnataka, you must provide the following documents to the RTO:
- Valid proof of citizenship
- Copy of a valid driver's licence, passport, and visa, attested
- Authenticated copy of a legal proof of residency
- 5 passport-sized photographs
- 1A Medical Form
How to Avail a Commercial Driving Licence in Karnataka?
You can get a commercial DL in Karnataka by going through the online and offline processes given above. You will require the following documents:
- Form 5, Form 2 and Form 1A
- Passport-sized photos
- Address proof and identity proof
How to Check Driving Licence in Karnataka?
To check the status of your driving licence in Karnataka, follow the steps given below:
- Visit Parivahan Sewa’s official website
- Navigate through and click on 'Driving Licence Related Services'
- Choose the state as 'Uttarakhand'
- Apply for the application status and enter the details
- Click on 'Submit'
Driving Licence Test Procedure in Karnataka
The driving test is the most crucial aspect of the application process for a driver's licence. If you do not pass the test, you will not be awarded a driver's licence. In Karnataka, a driving licence exam is conducted with a Motor Vehicles Inspector present at the RTO in the applicant's jurisdiction. The RTO conducts two types of driving licence tests; one for 2-wheelers/3-wheelers and the other for 4-wheelers.
Add ons for your Car Insurance
FAQs on How to Get a Driving Licence in Karnataka
1. Is it necessary to obtain a Smart Card DL in Karnataka?
No, having a smart card DL is not required; however, it is preferable than having a paper version.
2. What are the requirements for receiving an IDP in Karnataka?
In order to obtain an international driving permit, you must have a valid driver's licence.
3. What documents do you need to provide with your IDP application in Karnataka?
To receive an IDP, you must provide the following documents: a visa copy, a passport copy, a ticket copy, an original and a copy of your driver's licence, a medical certificate, an application form, nationality evidence, and three passport-sized photos.
4. How much does it cost to apply for an IDP in Karnataka?
To obtain an International Driving Permit, you must pay a charge of INR 500.
5. How long does it take for the IDP to arrive in Karnataka?
If you seek an IDP urgently, you will receive it within seven working days. Otherwise, it could take up to three weeks.
You May Also Like
Buy Insurance Plans
Recent ArticlesView All
How to Check SBI General Insurance Claim Status?
Have you recently claimed your SBI car insurance policy? If so, you may be wondering how to check the status o...Read More
A Guide to Checking HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Claim Status
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company offers various ways to check comprehensive, third-party, or own-damage car...Read More
Convert Your Third Party Car Insurance to Comprehensive Car ...
The comprehensive car insurance policy offers better risk coverage on the road than third-party car insurance....Read More
Permissible Car Insurance Claims in a Year
In India, having a valid car insurance coverage is obligatory by law. This implies that anybody who owns an au...Read More
Top 10 Small Cars in India – Price, Mileage, Specifications
Check out this list of the best ten smallest cars in India, ranked by features including price, gas economy, a...Read More
Top 10 Most Expensive Cars in India - Prices, Mileage, Specs...
In a way, the most expensive cars are more than just cars; they are a statement of excellence in all aspects. ...Read More
A Guide to Buy the Best CSD Car In 2022
If you have been planning to buy a CSD car in India, read on to know the prices of all the models in the categ...Read More
A Complete Guide to Different Bharti AXA Car Insurance Plans
One of the leading players in the Indian insurance marketplace, Bharti AXA has a lot to offer when it comes to...Read More
Mistakes to Avoid While Renewing Shriram Car Insurance Polic...
Shriram General Insurance, undoubtedly, offers best car insurance policies with attractive renewal features. B...Read More