The use of alternative treatment strategies for curing chronic ailments is becoming quite popular among people these days. These alternate treatment means would include Ayurvedic, Homeopathy, Siddha, and Unani methods (AYUSH). Amongst these, Ayurveda is India's own healthcare methodology for several decades now.
Ayurveda is also known as the “Science of Life” which would offer a body of wisdom that would help people to remain vital. Ayurveda emphasizes the fact that health can be defined as a balanced integration between the environments, our body, mind, and spirit. The medicines offered by Ayurveda are mainly based on plants and provide much better relief for some ailments than Western medicines.
Health Insurance and Ayurvedic Treatment
Over the past few years, there has been a huge evolution in health insurance. During current times, a lot of importance is being given to various insurance elements out of which Ayurveda is the one which is quite popular. Health insurance coverage with Ayurvedic treatment is a very common requirement today and many health insurance companies are offering this benefit.
Since 2012-13, the IRDAI has recommended the health insurance companies to provide coverage for the alternate medicine forms i.e. AYUSH form. The AYUSH is a body of the Central Government thus, making it easier for the health insurance companies to provide cover for the alternate medicines. You can choose a treatment method amongst these that would be suitable for you and your family.
Some of the major benefits which are obtained from the health insurance plans which cover Ayurvedic treatment are as follows:-
- Coverage is provided for the expenses incurred in AYUSH treatment which can be reimbursed by the health insurance provider up to a specific limit.
- This coverage is perfect for those treatments which cannot be paid under the basic health insurance policy.
- Ayurvedic treatment would be helpful for those having chronic diseases and this treatment method has low side effects as well.
- Health insurance plans with coverage for Ayurvedic treatment are beneficial if you are allergic to allopathic medicines.
- These health insurance policies which cover the expenses for Ayurvedic treatment have a low premium.
Top Health Insurance Plans Covering Ayurvedic Treatment
Let us have a look at some of the well-known health insurance plans which offer coverage for Ayurvedic treatment.
- Bajaj Allianz Health Guard Plan would offer coverage for Ayurvedic or homeopathy treatment if there is hospitalisation for more than 24 hours.
- Cholamandalam Family Health Insurance Policy is a family health insurance plan that would be offering a sum insured of INR 15 lakh and would provide cover for both the Ayurvedic and Allopathic treatments.
- The HDFC ERGO Easy Health Insurance Premium Plan would offer coverage for AYUSH treatment in case of the treatment being done in a Government hospital.
- The Aditya Birla Activ Diamond Assure Plan would cover the expenses incurred in the in-patient treatment including the Ayurveda, Unani, and Siddha and Homeopathic treatment.
- Digit Health Insurance provides coverage for AYUSH treatment in the form of an add-on benefit.
- Max Bupa Health Companion Insurance Plan would offer coverage for the expenses incurred in the in-patient hospitalisation using the AYUSH treatment methods.
- TATA AIG MediPrime policy would provide cover for the expenses that are incurred in the in-patient hospitalisation during the Ayurveda treatment.
- The Care Health Insurance Plan would also provide cover for the expenses that are incurred in the AYUSH treatment.
- Iffco Tokio Individual Health Protector Policy would offer coverage for AYUSH treatment to the policyholders.
- SBI Arogya Premier Policy would offer cover for alternative treatment costs in accredited hospitals only.
- The coverage provided for the alternative treatment/medical care depends upon the insurance provider.
- Many health insurance companies would provide cover only for Ayurvedic treatments while some other companies would cover all the forms of alternative medicines.
- A cap is applicable to the coverage amount which lies within7.5% to 25% of the sum insured of the health insurance policy.
- Many treatments in Ayurveda are only meant for the rejuvenation of the human body which is not covered under the scope of the health insurance plans. So, if any Ayurvedic treatment is being used for wellness-related treatment then those would not be covered under the scope of the Health Insurance Plans.
The Premium for Health Insurance Plans Covering Ayurvedic Treatment
- Insurance providers would charge a higher premium for those health insurance plans which cover the Ayurvedic and other alternate treatments. This premium charge would be much greater than a general health insurance plan. So, if you are a strong believer in these alternative treatments, then only you should opt for these health insurance plans.
- Nowadays, there is a strong concept that alternative medicines are the basis of the healthcare system. This system emphasises illness prevention and has become a new approach among people these days. If you believe in the alternate treatments then you should ensure that your health insurance plan must cover the alternate treatments like Ayurveda.
So, health insurance plans covering Ayurvedic treatment are currently quite popular among the Indian masses. These policies help in catering to the needs of the larger masses mainly for the children and senior citizens as the alternative treatment methods have very low side effects. However, it is advisable for you to first verify the treatments which are covered under these health insurance plans and then purchase them. Also, if you are opting for a super top-up plan, make sure to check whether or not Ayurvedic treatment costs are covered.