Best Health Insurance Policy For a Disabled Differently-Abled Person
Health Insurance Policy For a Disabled Differently-Abled Person to Live a Worry-free Life
Anyone who has disabilities, whether physical or mental, is known as a differently-abled person. The interesting fact is that a large number of differently-abled people are very self-reliant and independent. Many of them even have careers and are financially stable.
However, they do have medical problems and at times, require extra medical care. This is why differently-abled people require good amounts of health insurance.
Is health insurance for disabled people available in India? The good news is that it indeed is.
Read on to know more about how differently-abled people can live a worry-free life with a health insurance plan by their side.
Disability is not a generic term that can be used on every differently-abled person. There are various categories of disabilities. They are:
- Physically disabled - Physical disabilities are disabilities that happen due to an injury or illness at a certain stage in a person’s life. For example, if a person loses his eyesight due to diabetes, or loses his limbs in a motor accident, he is known as a physically disabled person. A physically disabled person is usually mentally fit and can take his decisions on his own.
- Mentally disabled - People who have autism, cerebral palsy, mental retardation, etc are known as mentally disabled people. They usually need assistance with their daily jobs. Some mentally disabled people may also have mobility problems and speech disorders.
- Disabled by birth - Some people are disabled by birth. A cleft lip is an example of this. Some babies are born deaf and mute, while some are born with less than four limbs. People with such conditions are classified as differently-abled since birth.
Depending upon the type of disability a person may require specific health care. In such cases, having health insurance proves to be very helpful.
Health Insurance options for Differently-Abled Person
If you are a differently-abled person or know someone who is looking for a health plan, you can find many health insurance options. Both the government, as well as private health insurance companies, have cashless health insurance covers for differently-abled people. Let us find out more.
Government Health Insurance Schemes
The government of India has a couple of health insurance schemes that have been specifically designed for differently-abled people. They are:
Swavlamban Health Insurance Scheme
This is an excellent health insurance plan for differently-abled people. It has some very good covers. Here are the main features of the health insurance plan:
- Cashless hospitalisation - The cashless hospitalisation facility available for all the policyholders of this scheme.
- Lower-income group - The plan is especially available for those who have a low income of up to INR 2 lakhs per annum.
- Substantial cover - A health insurance coverage of INR 1 lakh is available for one year under this plan, which is quite a substantial cover.
- Wide range of covers - There are many covers available under this plan that not only covers the disabled person but all members of his family as well.
This is a very beneficial plan for differently-abled people and their family members.
Niramaya Health Insurance Scheme
The Niramaya Health Insurance is another health insurance scheme launched to help differently-abled people. This is an affordable health insurance scheme that has the following benefits:
- Comprehensive health plan - The Niramaya Health Insurance Scheme has a wide range of covers that include everything from surgeries to dental covers for differently-abled people. It proves to be very helpful for the policyholder as it offers a well-rounded health cover.
- Fixed premium - The premium of the cover remains fixed. For families that earn less than INR 15,000, the yearly premium is INR 250 and for those who earn more than INR 15,000, the premium is fixed at INR 500.
- No pre-policy checkup - Since the premium and the benefits are fixed under the Niramaya Health Insurance Scheme, the prospective insurance seeker does not have to undergo any pre-policy health screening.
This plan proves to be very beneficial for people who have physical as well as mental disabilities.
Private health insurance options
The private health insurance companies also offer health insurance to the disabled, but they have many terms and conditions associated with the plans. The prospector has to undergo rigorous health screenings as the insurer would want to know the extent of his disability. Then, the premium will also be higher and the list of exclusions will be longer too. If, as a differently-abled person, you are looking to get a health insurance plan from a private health insurance company, make sure you read the policy wordings and terms and conditions very carefully before you make a purchase.
For example, Star Health offers a special health insurance plan for autistic children called Star Special Care Plan.
Tax Benefits for the differently-abled
Differently-abled people can claim additional tax benefits U/S 80U and 80DD of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Who can avail
Tax Deduction Limit
People with a minimum of 40% disability of:
|U/S 80DD||A family member of the dependent person with a minimum of 40% disability|
The bottom line
Everyone deserves to have health insurance, irrespective of their abilities and disabilities. This is why the government has launched various health schemes and more and more private players are also coming forward with their disability health covers. If you are in need of such a plan, explore your options and find good coverage to keep your health protected and secured.