What is Form 49A: Get Complete Cheat Sheet Here
Form 49A is an application for the issuance of a Permanent Account Number to Indian residents. Any resident of India who wants to apply for a PAN must fill out form 49A. The application form can be downloaded from the NSDL e-Governance official website or the UTIITSL website. Once the form has been filled out, the applicant can pay online and submit the form along with the necessary documents and photos.
Structure of Form 49A
Form 49A is neatly divided into sections to make filing the form easier for the customer. There are allocated spaces for the applicant to affix their photos on the top corners of the document. The document is divided into 16 sections, each with its subsection that must be completed.
Components of Form 49A
A detailed explanation of all the components found on Form 49A is provided below.
- Assessing officer code- The applicant must include the Area code, Accounts office type, Range code, and Accounts office number in the AO code section.
- Full name- This is the section where the individual states their marital status, first, last, and surname.
- Name abbreviation- In this section of the form, the applicant must abbreviate their name as it would appear on their PAN card.
- Gender- The area of the document where the applicant must state their sexual orientation.
- Date of birth- In the case of an individual applicant, the applicant must state their birth date. In an organization, the date of partnership/incorporation/Agreement or Trust deed must be stated.
- Father's name- In this section of the form, the applicant must include their father's first, last, and surname. This only applies to single applicants, including married women.
- Address- In this section of the form, the applicant must enter the details of their home and office addresses. The applicant must be cautious when entering the address and provide accurate information.
- Communication address- The applicant must select either an office or a residence address for communication. This is often the mail address.
- Phone number and email address- The applicant must include their country code, state code, and phone/mobile number.
- Status of applicant- In this section, the applicant must specify whether they are an individual, a HUF member, a company, a partnership firm, etc.
- Registration number- The registration number is assigned to a company, business, LLP, or other legal entity.
- Aadhaar number- If the individual has an Aadhaar card, the Aadhaar number should be listed.
- Source of income- The applicant should state where they get their money.
- Documents submitted- In this section, the applicant must list all of the papers they have submitted and the form.
Guidelines for filling Form 49A
There are some guidelines to follow when completing Form 49A. The following are a few things to keep in mind when filling out the form.
- Language and basic rules- The form can only be filed in English. There is no option to complete the form in a language other than English. It is also necessary to fill out the form in block letters, preferably in black ink. Each box should be filled in with a single character, with an empty box following each word.
- Photographs- In the space given on the top corners of the form, the applicant must attach two recent color photographs. It is critical to note that the pictures should not be stapled or clipped to the form because they will be displayed on the PAN card. It is critical to provide a picture with excellent clarity.
- Signature on the photograph- A signature or a left-hand thumb impression should be given throughout the picture, affixed to the form's left top corner. The applicant must ensure that their signature or thumbprint appears on both the photograph and the paper. The signature or thumb impression for the picture should be found inside the box given rather than on the image.
- Correct details- It is critical to take your time filling out the form and ensuring that you have filled all of the required information. Filling out the form incorrectly may cause complications during processing and, in extreme cases, rejection of the application.
- Overwriting- When submitting the form, avoid overwriting.
- Contact information- When mentioning the address, it is critical to provide full details, including the town, city, and pin code. It is also necessary to include the STD code for the given phone number.
Other forms to obtain a PAN Card
Four other forms can be used to obtain a PAN card.
Form 60 and 61
Form 60 and 61 are used in place of a PAN card for transactions listed in Clauses (a) to (h) of Rule 114B.
- Purchase or sale of immovable property worth more than INR 5,000,000
- Other than a two-wheeler, the purchase or sale of a vehicle.
- A fixed deposit of more than INR 50,000 with any bank.
- A Post Office fixed deposit account with a balance greater than INR 50,000.
- A contract for the purchase or sale of specified securities worth more than INR 10,000.
- When opening a bank account.
- This form is required for applications to install a telephone connection
- Payments over INR 25,000.
PAN is also available to foreign nationals and companies incorporated outside of India. Form 49AA is an application for issuing a Permanent Account Number to foreign nationals and companies incorporated outside of India.
PAN Card form
The PAN card form is the same as form 49. Still, it provides only an option to apply for a PAN card whereas, form 49A can also be used for updating information on an existing PAN card.
Which form is the best?
Easily, form 49A is the most recommended form for use due to the flexibility it provides. It allows for correction and can be used by any individual irrespective of the particular circumstances.
Form 49A is an application for the issuance of a Permanent Account Number to Indian residents. The document is divided into 16 sections, each with its subsection that must be completed. The applicant can only fill out Form 49A in English. Overwriting should be avoided. Four other forms can be used to obtain a PAN card, but form 49A is the most recommended form for use due to its flexibility.