Which Is Better for You: Real Estate Vs Sip?
Investing in real estate has become a popular investment option, thanks to the property being considered a solid asset. As it has the potential to grow exponentially over the years, real estate is an alluring option for many. Add to this the psychological sense of relief that comes with owning property and knowing that there’s a safety net, and it’s no secret why real estate is such a booming market in India.
On the other hand, investing in mutual funds through SIPs also delivers high returns over a similar period of time. SIP mutual funds are often considered to be a relatively safer option, when compared to debt mutual funds, since the investment is carried out via monthly premiums, rather than in the form of a lump sum in one go.
So, which one should you pick?
Through this article, let’s compare the two and learn about the returns you can expect from both over a period of time. The table below shows the differences between the two:
SIPS in Mutual Funds
They can give you high returns when you invest for a long period of time, as they are market-linked products.
The location of the property has a huge say in determining the returns that you can expect from this investment.
You can choose from a variety of funds like debt funds, hybrid funds, equities, etc. when you invest in mutual funds through SIPs.
There is no option of diversifying your investment in real estate, apart from investing in residential and commercial properties.
Depending on the duration of the investment and the type of fund, LTCG and STCG tax is applicable to mutual funds.
Under capital gains law, earnings from land/property are taxable post indexation. If you are a first-time homeowner, you can also enjoy tax rebates up to INR 1 Lakh under Section 80EE.
Liquidity options are available.
No liquidity options are available unless you sell the asset. However, you can earn monthly rent, which does bring a certain amount of liquidity to the table.
There are no extra charges or expenses, when it comes to investing in mutual funds through SIPs, even during the tenure.
You will have to pay for expenses such as stamp duty charges, mandatory registration costs, and expenses related to the maintenance of the property over time.
Frequency of Investment
You can make your investments in different ways, be it on a weekly, monthly, or quarterly basis. It basically depends on the type of plan you choose.
For a ready-to-move-in property, you can either make the whole payment in one go, out of your own pocket or use a home loan. In the case of an under-construction property, you can make the payments in instalments as well.
What returns can you expect to get by investing in real estate in different cities in India?
While picking the right investment avenue for your needs, it’s important to understand the returns you can get so that you can make an informed decision. The table below shows the different returns you can expect and the figures are based on the fact that the investment amount is INR 50 Lakhs.
ROI – 5 Years
5 Year Amount
ROI – 10 Years
10 Year Amount
What Returns can you expect to get by investing in a mutual fund through SIPs?
The following are the returns offered by some of the top mutual funds in India. The figures are based on the fact that your investment in a mutual fund is INR 50 Lakhs.
ROI – 5 Years
5 Year Amount
ROI – 10 Years
10 Year Amount
SBI Bluechip Fund
Mirae Asset India Equity Fund
Reliance Large Cap Fund
Aditya Birla Sun Life Advantage Fund
DSP BlackRock Opportunities Fund
Top Reasons to Invest in Real Estate
- Rent it out: One of the biggest advantages of investing in property is that you can rent it out and get regular returns on a monthly basis.
- Get a loan: You can easily get a loan against your property, which can prove to be handy in an emergency situation.
- Enjoy great returns thanks to appreciation: If your property is at a prime location, then you should be able to enjoy a great ROI if and when you sell it after a few years.
- Make smart investments easily – You do not have to be a savvy investor to make smart investments in the real estate market. By understanding a few basic factors such as the importance of location and emerging market trends (such as affordable housing), you should be able to make a smart investment in real estate.
Top reasons to invest in a SIP-based mutual fund
- Create the habit of saving – Since you are bound to pay a certain premium on a regular basis, it helps you create the habit of saving. If you are not that good at it, you even have the option to start as low as INR 500 per month.
- Achieve your financial goals – Mutual Funds through SIP can enable you to achieve both short-term and long-term goals. In fact, a lot of mutual funds are goal-oriented, which helps you keep track of the performance of the funds and plan your life’s milestones accordingly.
- Enjoy easy liquidity – Thanks to the immense popularity of SIP mutual funds, you can easily sell them whenever you want and get the returns quickly. In most cases, you should be able to get the whole amount in a matter of 2 working days.
In conclusion, it’s important to note that investing in any of these two is a good option as both of them have their own advantages. However, if you are looking to gain higher returns on a regular basis, then SIPs are definitely the right option for you to choose. You can not only diversify your portfolio with them but also enjoy the returns as and when you like. Note that you should conduct a thorough comparison between different mutual fund options before finalising one.