Mumbai is well-known for many reasons, including its infamously clogged traffic. The city's streets are often congested with vehicles, motorbikes, rickshaws and pedestrians vying for space. To alleviate traffic congestion, Mumbai police have begun imposing large penalties for traffic offences.
Besides paying your traffic fee, you may get a text message informing you of it if found breaching traffic norms in Mumbai. This is a quick and simple method to see whether you got your challan and make any required payments. You may also check the Mumbai traffic police's e-Challan website to see whether you've got your challan. If this is the case, enter your challan number and click on the captcha. Then, use your credit card to pay your traffic fine.
Here are a few pointers to help you drive on the right side of the law on the road. To keep your automobile safe, know the traffic regulations, be polite, and obey them.
Let's go deeper to find out more, shall we?
Mumbai's Basic Driving Regulations
Motor vehicles are the primary source of pollution and traffic congestion in Mumbai. To reduce these problems, the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai has implemented several traffic rules all drivers must follow. These rules are designed to keep traffic flowing smoothly and reduce vehicle pollution.
The most important rule is that driving in Mumbai is unlike driving in other parts of India. The roads are much busier, and the traffic is much more chaotic. You must be extra careful and always be aware of your surroundings.
Here are some basic traffic rules all drivers must follow:
1. Always wear a seatbelt when driving. This is not only for your safety but also for everyone else on the road.
2. Never use your cell phone while driving. This is one of the leading causes of accidents in Mumbai. If you need to use your phone, pull over to the side of the road first.
3. Obey all traffic signals and signs. Do not try to beat the red light or go around a stopped car at an intersection. This can cause serious accidents.
4. Drive slowly and cautiously.
Mumbai Traffic Police Latest Traffic Rules, Regulations and Fines
The Mumbai traffic police have been cracking down on errant drivers and imposing stiff fines for traffic violations.
Here is a list of the latest traffic rules, regulations and fines.
- All vehicles must have a valid insurance policy.
- Vehicles must have a valid pollution certificate.
- Driving without a seatbelt is now punishable with a fine of INR 1,000.
- Using a mobile phone while driving will invite a fine of INR 5,000.
- Speeding is punishable with a fine of INR 2,000.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs will lead to the cancellation of your driving licence and a fine of INR 10,000.
- Rash driving will invite a fine of INR 5,000.
- Honking in silence zones is punishable with INR 1,000.
- Not wearing a helmet while riding a two-wheeler: INR 500
- Over-speeding: INR 1000
- Dangerous driving: INR 5000
If you are caught violating any of the traffic rules mentioned above in Mumbai, you will be issued an e-Challan by the city's traffic police. You can pay your challan online through the dedicated website or app.
List of New Traffic Fines
The Mumbai traffic police have issued new fines for various traffic violations. The list includes fines for -
- Talking on the phone while driving
- Not wearing a seat belt
The new fines aim to reduce traffic congestion and improve road safety in the city.
How to Pay Traffic Fines in Mumbai? Step-by-Step Process
If issued a challan but don't know how to pay the same? Look below.
1. Go to the nearest regional transport office (RTO) and obtain a copy of the challan.
2. Make the payment at any of the authorised banks. You can find a list of such banks on the RTO website.
3. Take the paid challan to the RTO for verification.
4. Once the challan is verified, you will be issued a receipt as proof of payment.
Note - The fine amount will vary depending on the offence.
How to Check Your e-Challan and Traffic Fines Status in Mumbai? Step-By-Step Process
If driving in Mumbai, you have incurred a traffic fine or two but don't know where to check your traffic fines and e-Challan status? Don't worry, we've got you covered.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to check your traffic fines and e-Challan status in Mumbai:
1. Visit the official website of the Mumbai traffic police: www.mumbaitrafficpolice.org.
2. On the homepage, look for the 'e-Challan' section and click on it.
3. A new page will open where you will need to enter your vehicle registration number.
4. Once you enter your registration number, click on 'search'.
5. Your e-Challan details will be displayed on the screen.
6. You can then pay your traffic fine online or offline at your convenience.
If you drive a four-wheeler, you must be extra cautious while purchasing car insurance. Renewing insurance for a four-wheeler may be time-consuming and may need extra measures such as a vehicle check.
To keep your automobile safe, know the traffic regulations and obey them. Also, remember to pay your traffic fees on time to prevent getting a ticket. If you have to pay a traffic charge, look to do it online.
We hope this guide was helpful. Get your four-wheeler car insurance from the best online car insurance. And remember to drive safely and follow all traffic rules to avoid getting fined!
Read more -