The dangers that your car faces are not limited to a few scratches and some ugly dents. Driving safely on the roads is not enough to ensure that your car is free of any kind of damage. Unforeseen events like torrential rains or riots can cause great damage to your car.
One needs to be prepared for all eventualities and purchase a comprehensive insurance cover from a reputed insurance company. Yes, a comprehensive car insurance policy offers protection against riot damages to your car.
What is the Provision for Riot Damages in your Car Insurance Policy?
A riot can cause some major damage to your vehicle or its parts like the windshield, engine, etc. Third-party policies do not cover for such eventualities and only a comprehensive or standalone own damage car insurance plan will protect the policyholder from the losses incurred due to riot damages.
But receiving such a claim is incumbent on the fact that none of the standard exclusionary clauses of the policy have been violated.
The exclusions which can result in the rejection of a car insurance claim to riot damage under a comprehensive policy are –
- Damage to uninsured peril;
- Delay in claim intimation;
- Damages caused when the car has been driven in the absence of a valid driver’s license;
- Damages were a result of contributory negligence;
- Damages caused are not a direct consequence of the rioting;
- If the insurer is of the belief that the information provided in the application was inaccurate, false, or fraudulent.
Things to Keep in Mind While Buying an Insurance Policy
Read the terms and conditions clearly regarding the riot damages and ensure that you understand the implications of even the fine print and complex, legal jargon. If you are unclear about them then make sure that you get in touch with customer support or an insurance agent.
What Should You do If Your Car is Damaged in a Riot?
- Inform the insurer at the earliest.
- In case, you are unable to do that in the shortest period of time as you are injured too, then there are provisions for condonation of delay which can be used.
- The claim must be registered by calling the toll-free number provided by the insurer.
- The insurance company will send a person to do a spot survey and take stock of the situation in case the car is still at the spot.
- A report based on the findings will be prepared and given to the insurer based on which the claim will be accepted or rejected.
- If accepted, then the policyholder will receive an amount equal to the Insured Declared Value of the car.
What are the Documents Required to Make a Claim?
The following documents are required to make the claim –
- Duly filled claim form.
- Survey or Assessment Report to substantiate quantum of loss due to damage to the insured vehicle.
- FIR or the final investigation report.
- Report of Fire Brigade.
- Copy of the insurance policy.
- Original Bills of Replacement and Repair of Damage Parts.
- Newspaper Cutting of The Day on Which Riots Happened.
When can Your Riot Damage Claim Get Rejected?
Most claims that are filed with the insurer will be paid in a timely manner. However, if your claim happens to get rejected by the insurer, then the following reasons might be a cause for the same –
- The policy has expired due to non-payment of premiums or otherwise.
- The coverage is limited and does not include Own Damage cover.
- The damage is due to instances not covered by the car insurance policy.
- The insurer has sufficient reason to believe that the damages sustained by the vehicle were caused by the policyholder himself under fraudulent activities.
- The terms and conditions of the policy are violated by the policyholder.
- The requisite documents are not submitted or are not submitted in the right format/ manner.
How to Find the Best Insurance Policy that Covers Riot Damages?
As the process of selecting all other insurance policies, it is advisable to do a lot of research regarding a suitable insurance cover for riot damages online. Use neutral online websites and comparison charts to get a good idea of the kind of policies that exist and the terms and conditions of each.
Check for reviews and feedback that has been provided by various customers about the car insurance company and the product on social media handles and other websites.
One may even ask individuals who have purchased such a policy directly. In case of doubt, one may also resort to contacting the insurance company itself.
How can You Protect Your Car from Riot Damages?
Here are certain proactive measures that you can take in order to protect your vehicle from damages due to rioting –
- Park the car in a safe spot, possibly in areas that have sufficient security and protection.
- Be vigilant – if you happen to receive news that a particular area is prone to trouble, then stay away from it, for your personal safety and for the safety of your belongings.
- Ensure that you get a suitable comprehensive insurance cover.
Riots, protests, civil unrest, etc. can get violent in a matter of minutes. Your car can get caught in the crossfire too and can sustain some heavy damages. It is best to be prepared for such eventualities with the help of a comprehensive policy with the requisite add-ons to ensure that the financial loss incurred is kept to the minimum.