One cannot stress enough on the importance of making concerted efforts towards saving the environment.
Air pollution in all the major cities of India is resulting in the death and reduced quality of life of millions. It is time that we all did something towards reducing air pollution and an excellent means of doing that is by saving fuel.
Not only does it help the environment but it also helps one save on fuel expenses.
Here are the Top 8 Tips that will Help You Reduce Your Fuel Expenses!
1. Ensure that the tyres have the right pressure
- The best way to reduce fuel expense is by keeping one’s tyres inflated to the optimum level to ensure that the car has better mileage. Reducing the amount of friction by decreasing the contact of rubber with the road or pavement will reduce uneven wear and tear of the tyres, saving a considerable amount of fuel expenses in the long run.
- It is also advisable to check the pressure of the tyres often as possible as it might experience due to changes in external temperature. Pay heed to the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding the reduction of wear and tear and how to maintain steady pressure. Statistically, there is a drop of 0.6% of mileage if a tyre happens to be underinflated by 2psi.
2. Replace spark plugs
- Spark plugs are one of the most crucial components of your vehicle and it is of utmost importance that these are in good working condition. If there is any problem with it, it can be immediately detected with the help of your car engine sound.
- A sluggish, noisy engine is proof that the engine is not working to its optimum and that the spark plugs need a replacement.
- Even if there is no such problem faced, manufacturers often recommend the spark plug to be replaced once every 5 years to ensure that you boost your car’s mileage through better fuel combustion and contribute less to the pollution around you.
3. Do not hit the accelerator paddle if you still haven’t released the clutch completely
- One must not hit the accelerator pedal while the clutch is still depressed – this will hit the fuel economy and contribute to higher expenses in the long run.
4. Turn off the engine during a stop of one minute and more
- One must avoid keeping the engine on if he or she is staying idle on the road as it will reduce the wear and tear of the engine starters and will help save on fuel. Doing this consciously over a period of time will really contribute to a good amount of savings.
- Also do not use the excuse of warming up the car to keep it idle before resuming to move after the signal turns green. There is no need for that to be done in the models that manufacturers make in this day and age.
5. Keep a check on your speed
- Driving at a speed of 45 kmph can help one save a significant amount of money as usually at this speed. that the mileage that the car offers is the best. This may differ from car to car though, which is why it is advisable to learn about one’s car transmission and optimum speed.
- The next step is to put that knowledge into practice by keeping a tab on one’s speedometer.
6. Keep the car light as much as possible
- It is best to divest the car off all the extra, unwanted luggage that it is carrying to ensure that the mileage is kept intact.
- Every additional kilo will require an additional amount of fuel.
7. Fill the tank when it is half-empty
- This is advised due to a simple reason – the more the fuel in one’s tank, the lesser the amount of air in the tank, giving less chance for the petrol/ diesel to evaporate.
- The presence of an internal floating roof protects this from happening, but its limitations start to show when the tank is less than half full. Therefore, one must fill the tank when it is half empty.
8. Fill the tank at slow speed
- Fuel must not be filled at full throttle as it can easily evaporate.
- Instruct the attendant to fill fuel at a slow pace to prevent loss of fuel at the inception.
The increasing cost of fuel has impacted the lives of consumers and the automobile industry alike. The cost of the same does not seem to take too much of a hit – pandemic or not.
Therefore, it is important that as consumers, we take all the measures on our end to reduce fuel consumption and the consequent pollution out of it.
Follow the tips given above diligently and ensure you spread the word to others. The small, step-by-step efforts of many individuals carry with it the potential to change the course of our futures and also learn about car insurance policy.