Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Chandigarh
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
Chandigarh is a well-known Indian city and union territory. It is the state capital of Punjab and Haryana in India. The city has its transportation department, ensuring that the public transportation system and other transportation-related activities run smoothly and efficiently. As the number of vehicles and fatalities on the roads has increased, obtaining a driver's licence is now required by law. The Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 requires all individuals to obtain a driving licence to operate on Indian roads.
Different Types of Driving Licence in Chandigarh
RTO Office issues different types of driving licences based on the type of motor vehicle people drive or ride. So, below are different types of driving licences in Chandigarh:
- Motorcycles with and without gear: This type of licence is allocated to people who want to drive motorcycles like scooters, bikes, and mopeds. This licence is valid for both motorcycles with and without gear.
- Light Motor Vehicles: Individuals who wish to drive light motor vehicles such as two-wheelers, cars, auto-rickshaws, and others are issued this type of licence.
- Medium Motor Vehicles: Individuals who wish to drive medium motor vehicles.
- Heavy Motor Vehicles: Individuals who wish to drive heavy motor vehicles.
- Commercial Vehicles: This type of licence is given to people who want to drive a motor vehicle for a living, including cabs, small transport vans, jeeps, etc.
What is the Eligibility Criteria to Avail Driving Licence in Chandigarh?
To apply for a Driving Licence (Saarthi) in Chandigarh, the applicant must first understand the Chandigarh RTO's eligibility requirements.
- To obtain a DL for a motorcycle with an engine capacity of less than 50CC, the applicant must be 16 years old.
- To obtain a DL for a motorcycle with an engine capacity of more than 50CC, the applicant must be 18 years old.
- To obtain a DL for a commercial vehicle, the applicant should be 20 years old.
- Knowledge of traffic regulations and rules
- The applicant must first obtain a learner's licence, after which he will be able to apply for a permanent DL.
What are the Documents Required to Apply for Driving Licence in Chandigarh?
The following documents are obligatory for availing of a Driving Licence in Chandigarh:
- Form 1
- Form 1-A
- Form 4
- Valid learner's permit
- Age proof
- Address proof
- Birth Certificate
How to Apply for Driving Licence in Chandigarh?
The Chandigarh RTO has made it easier for applicants to obtain a driving licence by introducing an online application process. In Chandigarh, one can apply for a driving licence online or in person. Both methods are discussed further below.
- Online Method: Visit the state RTO website. Fill out the form and submit all the required documents. Forms can also be submitted online at parivahan.gov.in. Pay the fee and book a slot for the driving test.
- Offline Method: Visit the RLA office to get the form. Fill out the form and submit the documents along with it. Go for the driving test and qualify for a driving licence in Chandigarh.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Chandigarh?
A duplicate driving licence in Chandigarh can be availed online or offline through the above-mentioned method. You would require the following documents for obtaining a duplicate driving licence in Chandigarh.
- Form LLD
- Copy of an FIR, if the DL is stolen
- Valid age and address proof
- Duly-filled form 4
- INR 420 as fee
How to Avail a Renewed Driving Licence in Chandigarh?
A renewed driving licence in Chandigarh can be availed through the online or offline process mentioned above. The following documents are required for driving licence (Saarthi) renewal in Chandigarh:
- Form 9
- Form 1
- Form 1A
- Original DL
- Self-attested address proof
- An affidavit of address proof, if necessary
How to Avail an International Driving Licence in Chandigarh?
You can follow the above mentioned online and offline processes to avail an international driving licence in Chandigarh. The following documents are required for obtaining an international driving licence in Chandigarh:
- Form 4A
- Medical certificate and physical declaration form
- Attested copy of visa and passport
- 3 passport-sized photos
- Original DL and travel ticket
- Copy of the address proof and affidavit
How to Avail a Commercial Driving Licence in Chandigarh?
You can get a commercial driving licence in Chandigarh through the online or offline process mentioned above. For availing of a commercial driving licence (Saarthi) in Chandigarh, you need the following documents:
- Identity and address proof
- Form 2
- Form 1A
- Form 5
- Passport-sized photos
How to Check Driving Licence in Chandigarh?
One can check the status of one's driving licence (Saarthi) in Chandigarh through the state’s online portal, following the given steps:
- Go to the Saarthi website and click on ‘Driving Licence Related Services.'
- Select the state from the dropdown.
- Click on the header 'Application Status'
- Fill out the Application Number, Date of Birth, and Captcha.
- Click on Submit
Driving Licence Test Procedure in Chandigarh
To obtain a driving licence, an applicant must pass the 'Test of Competence,' according to Rule 15 of the Motor Vehicles Act of 1989. The applicant must drive through multiple curves, incline and decline features, T-intersections, reverse from a blind alley, and other obstacles. The driving test is conducted in the presence of the Motor Vehicle Inspector, whose approval is required before the applicant is issued a driving licence.
Add ons for your Car Insurance
FAQs on How to Get a Driving Licence in Chandigarh
1. What if a person fails the driving licence exam in Chandigarh?
If an applicant fails the driving licence test, he has seven days from the date of failure to retake the test.
2. What is Parivahan Sewa's official website?
You can visit the official website of Parivahan Sewa by clicking on https://parivahan.gov.in/.
3. What are the documents required to apply for a driving licence in Chandigarh?
A person applying for a driving licence in Chandigarh should have a filled-out application form 4, a learner's licence, documents to prove his age and address, and birth.
4. What are the documents required for renewing a driving licence in Chandigarh?
A person should have Form 9 application, Form 1 and 1A application, original driving licence, self-attested address proof, and if necessary, he also has to attach an affidavit of the address proof.
5. What is the cost of obtaining a learner's permit in Chandigarh?
In Chandigarh, the fee for obtaining a learner's licence is INR 950.
You May Also Like
Recent ArticlesView All
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company offers various ways to check comprehensive, third-party, or own-damage car...Read More
The comprehensive car insurance policy offers better risk coverage on the road than third-party car insurance....Read More
In a way, the most expensive cars are more than just cars; they are a statement of excellence in all aspects. ...Read More
One of the leading players in the Indian insurance marketplace, Bharti AXA has a lot to offer when it comes to...Read More
Shriram General Insurance, undoubtedly, offers best car insurance policies with attractive renewal features. B...Read More