Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Lakshadweep
Enter 4-Wheeler number to get Quote
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
In accordance with the Indian Motor Vehicles Act of 1988, any person who wishes to use a motored vehicle on a public street must compulsorily carry a valid non-expired driving licence. Suppose if you are living at present in the Lakshadweep Union Territory and are confused about the procedure to obtain a Saarthi, we are here to help. There is absolutely no need to approach a middleman or broker anymore. We will provide you with the detailed steps to obtain a driving licence both via online and offline mode in Lakshadweep. In addition, we will also cover the steps for getting a Lakshadweep duplicate driving licence or an international driving licence too.
Driving Licence Types in Lakshadweep
Similar to other union territories and states, Lakshadweep RTO offices will also issue 6 types of driving licences, namely:
- Light Motor Vehicle Licence: Issued to people who want to drive a light motor vehicle, such as a car or a bike
- Medium Motor Vehicle Licence: Issued to people who wish to drive medium/commercial vehicles such as tempos, delivery trucks, and minivans
- Heavy Motor Vehicle Licence: Issued to people who wish to drive heavy vehicles such as commercial trucks
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Licence: Issued to people who wish to drive box trucks, pickup trucks, taxis, trailers, etc.
- Motorcycle Without Gear Licence: Issued for people who wish to drive motorcycles without gears, including mopeds, scooters, and vehicles not exceeding the limit of 50CC.
- Motorcycle With Gear Licence: Issued for people who wish to drive a motorcycle with gears.
Eligibility Criteria for Driving Licence in Lakshadweep (LD)
In a way similar to other states, Lakshadweep driving licence (Saarthi) aspirants must satisfy these criteria:
- Should have completed 18 years of age or older to use a motorcycle with an engine capacity of more than 50cc or for driving a 4-wheeler such as an SUV or a car
- Should be a minimum of 16 years old or more than that for being eligible to utilize a motorcycle of engine capacity less than 50cc
- Must be 20 years aged or older to be in a position to drive a heavy transport vehicle
- Should be aware of all the UT’s traffic rules
- Must have a temporary driving licence for a minimum of a month or two but not over three months to apply for a permanent DL.
Necessary Documents for a Driving Licence Lakshadweep (LD)
For getting a Saarthi in the Lakshadweep UT, a self-attested copy of the following documents must be furnished in the local RTO office:
- Proof of age and address
- Application form 5, for applying for a commercial driving licence
- Application form 4
- Three passport-sized photos
- Original learner’s licence
Procedure to Apply for a Driving Licence in Lakshadweep (LD)
For applying for a driving licence in Lakshadweep through online mode, the following steps have to be followed:
- Online method: Visit Parivahan Sewa’s official website, click on the 'Driving licence-related services' tab, and then the 'Apply Online' tab. Select 'New Driving Licence,' fill out the form and upload all the required documents. Now, pay the application fee online and schedule a date for the driving test to get a DL.
- Offline method: Visit the RTO office and collect the application form. Now, fill out the form and submit the documents. Pay the application fee and book a date for your driving test.
How to Apply for a Duplicate Driving Licence in Lakshadweep (LD)
In case your DL has been stolen or destroyed, you need to avail another one which is a duplicate copy of your original DL. You can do this through the online or offline process by submitting the following documents:
- Filled in Application Form (LLD)
- Copy of FIR in case of driving licence theft
- Form 1
- Challan clearance report issued by the traffic police for commercial driving licence procurement
- Original licence copy
- Address proof and age proof copies
- Number of the old licence if the old licence is stolen
How to Renew an Expired Driving Licence in Lakshadweep (LD)?
The validity of a non-commercial vehicle DL is 20 years or until the holder attains 50 years of age (whichever comes earlier). After its expiry, it must be renewed every five years, whereas a commercial driving licence is valid for only three years. The documents needed for driving licence renewal are described below:
- Copy of the expired DL
- Form 9
- Two passport-sized photos
- Form 1A – for drivers aged more than 40 years
- Payment receipt of INR 200 application fees
- Self-attested copies of address proof and age proof
You can avail the same through the online or offline process.
How to Apply for an International Driving licence in Lakshadweep?
To get yourself an international driving licence in Lakshadweep, you must visit the RTO and submit the following documents:
- Driving licence attested copy, passport, and visa
- Nationality proof
- Five passport-sized photographs
- Resident proof attested copy
- Medical form 1A
To get an international DL in Lakshadweep, opt for an online or offline approach.
How to Get a Commercial Driving Licence in Lakshadweep?
If you want to drive a commercial vehicle in Lakshadweep, make sure to avail a commercial DL through the online or offline process. You would need the following documents:
- Address proof
- Identity proof
- Form 2
- Form 1A
- Form 5
- Passport-sized photos
How to Check a Driving Licence in Lakshadweep?
Once you have applied for a DL in Lakshadweep, you must check its status. To do so, you should follow the steps given below:
- Visit Parivahan Sewa’s official website
- Click on 'Online Services' and then on ‘Driving Licence-Related Services'
- Choose the state or Union Territory
- Click on the drop-down menu titled 'Apply Online'
- Click on ‘Application Status’
- Enter the required details
- Enter the Captcha
- Click on 'Submit'
Lakshadweep (LD) Driving Test Procedure
The driving test is conducted as per Rule 15 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The RTO motor vehicle inspector will be the invigilator for this particular test. The RTO will pass or fail a candidate based on their performance. The applicant must bring his vehicle for attending the test purpose, which is of the same category for which the licence is sought. Suppose, if he did not own that kind of vehicle, they could utilize their motor driving school's vehicle.
FAQs on How to Get a Driving Licence in Lakshadweep
1. Is it possible to avail an LMV DL online in Lakshadweep?
Yes, any type of DL can be applied online in Lakshadweep.
2. Is it necessary to avail a permanent DL after my learner’s licence has expired?
Yes, you have to avail a permanent driving licence after a learner’s licence expires.
3. Do I have to submit notarized documents for a driving licence in Lakshadweep?
Yes, all the documents submitted for a driving licence should be notarized.
4. Can I apply for a duplicate DL if I misplace my original driving licence?
Yes, if the original DL is misplaced, a duplicate one must be availed.
5. Can I download an LLD form online?
Yes, an LLD form can be downloaded and filled out online.
Recent ArticlesView All
Availing a car insurance without a driving license can be possible under certain circumstances. Know what are ...Read More
Are you looking for the difference between third-party and first-party insurance? Learn the difference on the ...Read More
Difference between comprehensive and third-party car insurance: Comprehensive policy covers both own damages a...Read More