Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Meghalaya
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
Proceed without car number
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
If you want to use motorized vehicles on the streets of Meghalaya, you need to have a valid Driving Licence. As per the Motor Vehicles act 1988, it is important to have a valid Driving licence to ride motorized vehicles on public roads. The Road Transport Authority of each state issues the driving licence. There are many other functions performed by the transport department in Meghalaya. Let us read on to find out more about different types of licences and the essential details for availing them.
Types of Driving licence in Meghalaya
- Light Motor Vehicle licence: This type of licence is issued to people who want to drive a light motor vehicle like a car or a bike.
- Medium Motor Vehicle licence: This type of licence is issued to people who want to drive medium motor vehicle like a commercial truck.
- Heavy motor vehicle licence: This type of licence is issued to people who want to drive heavy motor vehicle like a big 10-wheeler truck.
- Commercial Motor vehicle licence: This type of licence is issued to people who want to drive medium motor vehicle like pickup trucks or taxis
- Motorcycle without Gear licence: This type of licence is issued to people who want to drive vehicle without a gear system like a scooter or scooty and vehicles not exceeding the limit of 500CC
- Motorcycle with gear licence: This type of licence is issued to people who want to drive a medium motor vehicle like a motorbike with gears
What is the Eligibility Criteria to Avail Driving Licence in Meghalaya?
All the below-mentioned criteria are mandatorily required for a person to be eligible to apply for a driving licence in Meghalaya.
- A person must hold a learner’s licence.
- A person must apply for a permanent driving licence after completing 30 days and within 180 days of obtaining a learner's licence.
- To apply for a non-geared licence in Meghalaya, a person must be of 16 years or above age.
- For a permanent driving licence, a person must be of 18 years or above.
- A person must be at least 20 years to apply for a commercial motor vehicle licence.
What are the Documents Required to Apply for Driving Licence in Meghalaya?
The below-mentioned documents must be submitted while applying for a permanent driving licence in Meghalaya.
- Proof of age
- Address proof
- Passport-sized photographs
- Valid and original Learner’s licence
- Application form 4
- Application Form 5 for Commercial DL
How to Apply for Driving Licence in Meghalaya
Application for driving licence in Meghalaya can be made online or offline in the following manner:
Online process: Visit the official website of Parivahan Sewa > Click on the option ‘online Services’ > Click on the option ‘Driving Licence Related Services’ > Select your state (Meghalaya) > Click on 'Apply for Driving Licence' >Read all the instructions and click on 'continue' > choose the type of licence you want to apply for. Also, enter the details of your learner’s licence and DOB > Click on ‘OK’ > fill the application form and upload all the necessary documents > select your time slot in which you want to take the test> Pay the application fees.
Post this; you need to visit your nearest RTO Office to take the test.
Offline: To apply in the offline mode, you need to visit your nearest RTO office. You can also download the form online, fill in the details and submit it with all the relevant documents in the RTO office. After this, select the time slot for the test and take the test. All the traffic rules and regulations must be known before taking the test.
How to Avail of a Duplicate Driving Licence in Meghalaya?
In order to apply for a duplicate driving licence in Meghalaya, the following documents must be submitted:
- Copy of original DL
- Application form 1
- Application form LLD
- If stolen, a copy of the FIR
- Challan clearance report (commercial DL)
Duplicate DL can be availed both offline and online in Meghalaya.
How to Avail a Renewed Driving Licence in Meghalaya?
Renewal of DL in Meghalaya is a very easy process. It can be done both online and offline. Application for renewal of DL must be made within the grace period of 30 days.
The following documents are required to apply for the renewal of DL in Meghalaya with the RTO:
- Original DL
- Application Form 1
- Form 2
- Form 1A
How to Avail an International Driving Licence in Meghalaya?
For International DL in Meghalaya, the following documents are mandatory to be submitted:
- Passport Sized photographs
- Attested copy of permanent DL
- Attested copy of address proof
- Attested copy of the Visa
- Attested copy of the passport
- Nationality proof
- Medical form 1-A
International DL can also be availed through both online and offline modes in Meghalaya using the process mentioned above.
How to Avail Commercial Driving Licence in Meghalaya?
As mentioned above, a person must be at least 20 years old while applying for Commercial driving licence in Meghalaya. The following documents are necessary while applying for commercial motor vehicle DL:
- Address proof
- Identity proof like Adhar card, passport, voter card, etc.
- Form 2
- Form 1A
- Form 5
- Passport size photographs
How to Check Driving Licence in Meghalaya?
Follow the process given below to check the status of your driving licence in Meghalaya:
- Visit the official website https://parivahan.gov.in/.
- From the’ online services’ menu, select ‘Driving licence-related services.’
- Select your state.
- Click on renewal option from driving licence menu.
- Read all the instructions and click on continue.
- Fill in the details and upload all the necessary documents.
- Click on proceed.
After this, you need to visit your nearest RTO for further procedures.
Driving Licence Test Procedure in Meghalaya
Applicant must appear for the test with the type of motor vehicle he has applied for. If the applicant does not pass the test, they can reappear after seven days. However, after three such tests, the applicant will not be permitted to reappear before 60 days of the completion of such tests.
Add ons for your Car Insurance
FAQs on How to Get a Driving Licence in Meghalaya
1. Do I have to get my own vehicle?
Yes, you need to carry your own vehicle to take the test.
2. Do I have to carry a medical certificate for obtaining learner’s licence?
No, you do not need to carry any medical certificate for obtaining a learner’s licence in Meghalaya.
3. What is the official website for the Meghalaya Transport Department?
The official website of the Meghalaya Transport Department is http://megtransport.gov.in/driving_licence.html.
4. How much does a driving test for a licence cost?
A driving test will cost you INR 50.
5. How many RTOs are there in Meghalaya?
There are 11 RTOs in Meghalaya.
You May Also Like
Buy Insurance Plans
Recent ArticlesView All
How to Check SBI General Insurance Claim Status?
Have you recently claimed your SBI car insurance policy? If so, you may be wondering how to check the status o...Read More
A Guide to Checking HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Claim Status
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company offers various ways to check comprehensive, third-party, or own-damage car...Read More
Convert Your Third Party Car Insurance to Comprehensive Car ...
The comprehensive car insurance policy offers better risk coverage on the road than third-party car insurance....Read More
Permissible Car Insurance Claims in a Year
In India, having a valid car insurance coverage is obligatory by law. This implies that anybody who owns an au...Read More
Top 10 Small Cars in India – Price, Mileage, Specifications
Check out this list of the best ten smallest cars in India, ranked by features including price, gas economy, a...Read More
Top 10 Most Expensive Cars in India - Prices, Mileage, Specs...
In a way, the most expensive cars are more than just cars; they are a statement of excellence in all aspects. ...Read More
A Guide to Buy the Best CSD Car In 2022
If you have been planning to buy a CSD car in India, read on to know the prices of all the models in the categ...Read More
A Complete Guide to Different Bharti AXA Car Insurance Plans
One of the leading players in the Indian insurance marketplace, Bharti AXA has a lot to offer when it comes to...Read More
Mistakes to Avoid While Renewing Shriram Car Insurance Polic...
Shriram General Insurance, undoubtedly, offers best car insurance policies with attractive renewal features. B...Read More