header Motor Insurance

How to Transfer Your RC from One State to Another?

27 June 2022, 10:25 AM

The need for transferring the RC (Registration Certificate) of a vehicle to a different state may arise due to several reasons: buying a car in another state, buying a car in one state and then moving to another sometime later, or selling the car to someone in a different state. Whatever the reason, transferring the vehicle registration is an extremely important step. Neglecting this process may have serious legal consequences.

This article will explain how you can transfer your vehicle registration from one state to another, especially in instances where it is mandatory - 

  1. When you're moving from one state to another permanently and would like to take your vehicle with you.
  2. When you're moving from one state to another for more than one year and wish to take your vehicle.

If you're going for a temporary period of less than one year,  you DO NOT have to transfer your vehicle registration. 

This article will take you through the process of transferring your RC. But, before we move on to the HOW of it all, let us first understand the WHY

Also check - Buy Two wheeler Insurance Online

Meaning, Relevance and Consequences

The reason behind registering your vehicle is to keep the government informed about who the vehicle owner is. From the government's perspective, the owner is responsible for the vehicle in all respects. Payment of road tax is one such responsibility.

The road tax mandates differ from state to state, so transferring a vehicle's RC when moving to a different state for a long or permanent duration becomes necessary. According to Section 47 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, if a vehicle has been kept in a state for longer than 12 months, it needs to get a new registration mark issued by the registering authority under whose jurisdiction the vehicle lies.

Failure to do so can result in the vehicle getting detained and paying a hefty fine.

Required Documents

1. Personal Documents 

  • Self-attested copy of PAN card
  • Self-attested copy of the address proof
  • Self-attested copies of passport size photographs

2. RTO Documents

  • Previous Registration Certificate in original -  Your car needs to be registered before getting re-registered. So make sure your vehicle is registered in your current state and that all the paperwork has been verified and approved.
  • Form 28 for the NOC issued by the previous state’s RTO - You will need three copies of Form 28 (which acts as a no-objection certificate) to apply for the NOC that will be issued by the previous RTO where the vehicle was initially registered.
Important Information about NOC: If your vehicle has been financed through a loan, you will need to first get the NOC papers from your lender and then go to your original state's RTO to obtain the RTO's NOC papers. 
  • Form 20 and Form 27 - Three copies of each of these forms are required to initiate the re-registration process in the RTO of the new state.
  • Vehicle Sale Forms - If you're selling your car to a person in a different state and need to transfer ownership, you will require copies of Form 29 and Form 30.

3. Vehicle Documents

  • Copy of the Vehicle's Insurance Policy - In case you haven't insured your vehicle yet, you will need to get it done to complete your registration process. Your vehicle insurance is an important document required in the RC transfer process.
  • Attested Copy of Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUC) - Make sure your vehicle has completed all emission and pollution tests and that you have the required documents for proof.


Now that you have an understanding of the paperwork you will need before starting this process, let us understand the procedure you must follow to transfer your RC from one state to another.

  • Avail the No-Objection Certificate: Your first step is to download a copy of Form 28, print it, fill it and apply for the NOC at the RTO of your current state or the state where your vehicle was initially registered. Please note that you will need a clear imprint of your chassis number and the form when applying for the NOC.

You may use a pencil to trace the chassis number of your vehicle on the form itself or do it on a separate paper in a tidy manner and attach it to Form 28.

  • Drive to your new state: After the NOC has been issued to you by your local RTO, you can drive your car to the new state. Your NOC has a short eligibility period, so you have to start the re-registration process before your NOC crosses its expiry date.
  • Find the RTO of the new state: Carry all the required documents mentioned above and take a trip to the local RTO of your new city to submit your papers. You will have to provide Form 20 and Form 27. You will also need to provide your new address proof.
  • Pay the fees - The RTO agent will ask you to pay an amount for issuing a new challan.
  • Vehicle Verification - Get your vehicle verified in the presence of the RTO Officer. They will collect the imprinted number of your chassis and verify your vehicle for use.

You will then be given a date to collect your new RC, and voila! You're done! You can collect your RC and your smart card on the given date and start a new chapter in your life.

Tax Refund

If you have already paid the road tax in your previous state, you are eligible for a tax refund within six months of migration to the new state. The documents you will require are listed below:

  • Application letter for a refund of the road tax
  • RTO Form 16 and Form DT
  • The motor vehicle's chassis imprint
  • Copy of the vehicle's new insurance papers
  • Copy of the new PUC papers
  • Copy of state transfer NOC
  • Road tax receipt for payment of road tax in the original state
  • Copy of the new road tax receipt
  • New address proof, which will act as proof of migration to the new state.
  • Notarised copy of the new smart card.
  • Original or notarised copy of the old smart card
  • Envelope having self-affixed stamp with an equivalent value for registered post.

Also check - Buy Car Insurance Online


As you can see, the procedure for transferring your RC from one state to another seems complicated, but it isn't in reality. Once you know the procedure, which has been clearly explained above, the process becomes fairly simple. If you follow these steps, getting the RC transfer process done will be a walk in the park, enabling you to enjoy more time to build your life in your new location.


1. How long does the RC transfer process take?

While some RTOs claim to complete the process in a week, it takes around 28-30 days when it comes to inter-state RC transfer.

2. What are the registration costs involved in transferring the RC from one state to another?

The registration costs vary from one state RTO to another and typically range between INR 300-500. The costs are higher when a smart card is issued.

3. What is a smart card, and how do I get it?

Smart cards are replacements for old and outdated RC books. They contain details like registration number, chassis number, the colour of the vehicle, type of vehicle, etc. You can apply for an RC smart card online or visit your nearest state RTO.

4. Under whose responsibility does the transferring of RC fall in the event of a vehicle sale? Buyer or seller?

The onus is on the vehicle seller to complete the RC transfer process. Failure to do so will result in the original owner (seller) being implicated in any mishap or illegal activities the vehicle may be involved in.

5. What to do if I have lost my RC card/book?

File an FIR at your nearest police station and provide all relevant details pertaining to your vehicle. The police will issue a challan that states that you've lost your RC card. After that, you have to apply for a new RC card by filling up Form 26.

Car Insurance banner
Car Insurance

Starting at only ₹6 per Day*

Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
Proceed without car number