header Car Insurance

How Do I Apply for a No Objection Certificate Online?

By Juhi Walia
12 October 2022, 10:10 AM

If you want to sell a car or relocate to another area of India, you must provide a considerable amount of documentation, including your car insurance.

The buyer, seller, and owner must provide all required documents to complete the process. When moving a car from one jurisdiction to another, a NOC is one of the documents required. 

A NOC is required when selling or purchasing used cars or transferring them from one state to another. Moving a vehicle from one jurisdiction authority to another requires a NOC or No Objection Certificate and an auto insurance policy.

NOC focuses are essential when moving from one jurisdiction to another, whether a passenger or commercial vehicle.

Consequently, if you plan to sell or purchase a used car or transfer it from one state to another, you must know what NOC is and how to obtain it. The information below covers every aspect of NOC for a vehicle, from understanding to documentation. 

An overview of a vehicle's NOC is provided in the following article, along with documentation and instructions on how to obtain it.

How Does the NOC Work?

The Regional Transport Office (RTO) issues a No Objection Certificate as a legal document allowing a vehicle's release of jurisdiction authority.

Vehicles that receive a NOC from their home RTO can be registered under the jurisdiction of another RTO once all clearances have been obtained. A vehicle's transfer is authenticated without needing the owner's challans, dues, or taxes paid.

Vehicles can be transferred from one RTO to another within the same state or from one state to another. A vehicle may be transferred between states or intra-states depending on its circumstances.

What is the Requirement for the NOC for a Vehicle?

A No Objection Certificate for a vehicle is required under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, in the following circumstances:

When the Car is Transferred to the New Owner

The ownership of a vehicle can be transferred in three ways; through the sale or purchase of the car, the death of the original owner, or auction.

A NOC from the initial RTO where the vehicle was registered is required to legitimise the resale or transfer of ownership of a car owned by a new owner.

If You are Re-registering Your Vehicle in Another State or Union Territory

When you (the vehicle's owner) permanently move from one state to another, your car must be re-registered. Your vehicle's registration agency can usually provide you with a NOC. As mentioned, however, you do not need a NOC if you move for fewer than three months.

Make sure you also possess other necessary documentation, such as car insurance for the same.

What is the Process for Applying for a NOC for a Vehicle?

Under the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, a NOC can now be obtained through the online portal 'Parivahan.' Some states, however, still do not allow applicants to apply online for NOCs. Ensure that online NOC is available in your condition before proceeding.

To apply for a vehicle's NOC online, confirm the availability by following the steps below:

  • To access the Parivahan portal, go to the website.
  • Click on 'Proceed' after entering the registration number of your vehicle.
  • You can pick the 'Application for No Objection Certificate' option from the list of options on the page you are redirected to.
  • You will need to enter your vehicle's last five digits of chassis number on the next page.
  • Upload all the necessary documents after providing all the details asked for.
  • Your concerned RTO will now charge you the appropriate fees.
  • Please obtain a copy of the completed application form and the acknowledgement receipt generated so far, and take a printout of them.
  • The application form must be submitted with the acknowledgement slip and the required documents.

You can expect your NOC to be approved as soon as the documents have been verified with this process.

Who Should Apply for a Vehicle No Objection Certificate?

If the vehicle owner plans to change their RTO from one state to another, a NOC must be applied since its purpose is to allow a change in registered jurisdiction authority.

The seller of a vehicle must obtain a NOC before selling it from one state to another. In the new state, the RTO will submit the certificate to the buyer once it is received. Make sure you possess car insurance for your vehicle while applying, as it is a mandatory document.

Those who inherit a vehicle from a decedent and live in an RTO other than the RTO that registered the vehicle must initiate the application through a different RTO. It is required that the legal heir applies for a NOC at the RTO where the initial registration may have taken place.

Vehicle NOC Documents

Owners must submit the following documents with their application form or Form 28 to obtain NOC from the RTO where their vehicle is registered.

  • RC or registration certificate attested by a notary public
  • Car insurance policy certified by a notary public
  • Tax payments are received up-to-date
  • Chassis and engine numbers printed on paper
  • A valid Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate
  • Identification and signature of the vehicle owner
  • A photocopy of the owner's ID and a copy of their address

To ensure an easy verification process and clearance to obtain a NOC, keep these documents handy when applying with your RTO.

Fees for Getting a Vehicle's NOC

CMV Rules 1989 Rule 81 mandates you to pay the fees applicable to your respective RTO when you apply for a NOC for your vehicle. There is usually a fee of INR 100 payable for such certifications.

The Validity of the NOC

The validity of a NOC is limited to 6 months once it has been issued. When moving a vehicle from one state to another, you must re-register the vehicle with your new jurisdictional RTO within this timeframe.

Vehicles sold must be registered within six months to the new RTO in another state upon sale. Failure to comply with the requirements will result in the certificate expiring, and one will have to start over to obtain a NOC.

Wrapping Up

If you have purchased your car with the help of a loan or if you have moved to a new state or within your current form, the NOC is essential.

If you are moving within a state, it is not necessary to change your RTO, but if you are moving to another state, you must change your registration details. 

A vehicle cannot be registered within the new RTO's jurisdiction without the NOC. Furthermore, you will need the bank's authorisation letter if you sell your car.

Until the bank that provided you with the auto loan for your car issues a NOC, the RTO won't remove the hypothecation.

Therefore, obtaining a NOC is necessary. Ensure you have other documents while applying, such as a car insurance policy.



1. Can I drive my car to another state in India?

A statement from the ministry states, "Under the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, a person may keep a vehicle for 12 months in any state other than the state where it is registered. Within 12 months, a new registration must be made with the new state-registration authority." Ensure the presence of car insurance too.

2. What is NOC issued for the vehicle?

A No Objection Certificate (NOC) is a legal document issued by regional RTOs for re-registering vehicles between states. It is a document certifying that a car does not owe any taxes.

3. How can I find the NOC of my car online?

You can access 'Parivahan online. Click on 'Proceed' and enter the registration number of your vehicle. Please choose from the following page 'application for No Objection Certificate' options.

4. Can vehicle NOC be cancelled?

A NOC obtained from the RTO will have to be cancelled if it remains unused due to a change in your plans. The RTO to which the NOC was issued must issue you a Non-Utilisation Certificate (NUC).

5. How can I locate to the RTO of my area?

You can search for the same online and know the RTO located in your area.

Car Insurance banner
Car Insurance

Starting at only ₹6 per Day*

Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
Proceed without car number