Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Patna
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
Proceed without car number
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
Driving without a valid licence in Patna is an offence as per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. Accordingly, the Bihar Transport Department oversees the functions of the Patna RTO empowered to manage the issuance and maintenance of driving licences across the city. In addition, the Patna RTO is aligned with the National Parivahan Portal offering the citizens the option for online and offline services. Thus, you can choose any mode for a driving licence in Patna.
What are the Types of Driving Licences (Saarthi) in Patna?
The two clinching factors considered for classifying driving licences are the vehicle class and the purpose for which it is used. Accordingly, the driving licence types in Patna are:
- Driving licence for two-wheeler without gears: People who own and ride two-wheelers without gears are eligible to get this type of DL. Their vehicles should have an engine capacity below 50 CC.
- Driving licence for a two-wheeler with gears: People who own and ride two-wheelers with gears are eligible for this type of licence.
- Driving licence for Light Motor Vehicle (LMV): People who own and ride light motor vehicles can apply for this licence at the Patna RTO.
- Driving licence for Medium Motor Vehicle (MMV): People who own and ride medium motor vehicles can apply for this licence at the Patna RTO.
- Driving licence for Heavy Motor Vehicle (HMV): People who own and ride heavy motor vehicles can apply for this licence at the Patna RTO.
- Driving licence for Commercial Vehicle (CV): Owners of commercial vehicles are eligible for this licence.
Eligibility Criteria to Apply For a Driving Licence (Saarthi) in Patna
The applicant must meet the following criteria to apply for a suitable driving licence in Patna.
- Minimum 16 years for the motorcycle of 50 CC or lower
- Minimum 18 years or above for other two-wheeler and four-wheeler vehicles in the LMV category
- Minimum 20 years for commercial vehicle driving licence
- Must possess a valid learner’s licence
- Must be aware of the general traffic rules in Patna
Documents Required to Apply For the Driving Licence (Saarthi) in Patna?
A driving licence in Patna is obtained in two stages. First, the primary documentation is done at the learner licence stage, where you must submit the following documents.
- Application in Form 2
- Self-declared physical fitness certificate in Form 1
- Medical certificate in Form 1A
- Address and age proof using officially valid documents like the Aadhaar and Pan cards
- Recent photographs
- In addition, you must pay the requisite fee
The documents to be submitted when applying for the permanent licence are:
- A copy of the learner’s licence
- Forms 4 or 5 for personal and commercial licences, respectively
Procedure to Apply For a Driving Licence (Saarthi) in Patna
Online application: Visit the Parivahan portal and click on the “Online Services” button. Click on the driving licence option and then on new. Choose Bihar from the drop-down menu. The system guides you through the navigation process to complete and submit the form. Fix a slot for the test, passing which you receive the DL.
Offline application: Visit the Patna RTO in person and collect the form to submit, supported by the required enclosures. Next, fix an appointment for the test and appear on the scheduled date and time. Finally, you receive the DL on passing the test.
Procedure to Obtain a Duplicate Driving Licence (Saarthi) in Patna
According to the MV Act mandate, the driving licence must always be on the driver’s person while driving. When it is lost, stolen, mutilated, or damaged beyond redemption, the only option is to apply for a duplicate DL at the Patna RTO. The documents to submit are:
- LLD application form
- Damaged or mutilated DL
- Age and address proof
- An FIR copy for the stolen or lost DL
The duplicate DL is approved and issued after verification, regardless of your online or offline application.
Procedure to Obtain a Renewed Driving Licence (Saarthi) in Patna
The process for driving licence renewal online in Patna is straightforward. A non-transport DL is valid for 20 years or till the holder reaches 50. On the other hand, commercial licences are renewed after every 3 years. The indicative Patna driving licence renewal documents to submit are:
- Form 9 application
- Forms 1 and 1A for a medical certificate and physical fitness declaration
- Expired DL
- Recent photographs
Procedure to Apply for an International Driving Permit (Saarthi) in Patna
If you are travelling abroad and like to drive on foreign shores, apply for an International Driving Permit at the Patna RTO. You must possess a valid driving licence to apply, and the IDP is issued without any additional test if the documentation is flawless. Accordingly, submit the following:
- Application form 4A
- Copy of the permanent licence
- Residence proof
- Nationality proof and a valid Visa
- Medical form 1A
- Recent photographs
Procedure to Obtain a Commercial Driving Licence (Saarthi) in Patna
The commercial driving licence differs from the non-transport in the vehicle class and usage. You can apply for the licence online and offline with the fundamental difference in the application in Form 5, all others remaining the same. You would also require the following:
- Address proof
- Identity proof
- Form 2
- Form 1A
- Passport-sized photos
Procedure of Checking Driving Licence in Patna
For checking the status of your driving licence in Patna, use the following process:
- Visit the Saarthi website
- Find 'Online Services’ and click on 'Driving Licence-Related Services'
- Choose the state as Bihar
- Click on the drop-down menu titled 'Apply Online'
- Click on ‘Application Status’
- Enter the required details
- Enter the Captcha
- Click on 'Submit.'
Driving Licence Test Procedure in Patna
You must appear on two tests for obtaining a driving licence in Patna. First, the online test assesses your knowledge about the general transport rules for the learner’s licence. The second is a more critical driving test involving the applied vehicle class. The test is conducted at the designated spot under the supervision of the Motor Vehicle Inspector to evaluate your driving skills. Finally, your application is approved, and the DL is issued if you are found capable of independent driving.
Add ons for your Car Insurance
FAQs on How to Get a Driving Licence in Patna
1. What is the time frame to renew a driving licence in Patna?
You must renew the driving licence within 30 days from the expiry date as the outer limit.
2. How long is the international driving permit obtained from the Patna RTO valid?
The International Driving Permit is usually valid for one year from the issue date for driving in foreign lands.
3. How long is a renewed driving licence valid in Patna other than commercial?
The non-commercial driving licence renewed in Patna is valid in 5-year blocks after reaching 50 years.
4. What is the outcome of a failed driving licence test in Patna?
You can reappear at the test after 7 days from the failed test till you pass and obtain the driving licence.
5. What is the fee for the issuance of a renewed driving licence in Patna?
You have to pay a fee of INR 200 for availing a renewed driving licence in Patna.
You May Also Like
Buy Insurance Plans
Recent ArticlesView All
How to Check SBI General Insurance Claim Status?
Have you recently claimed your SBI car insurance policy? If so, you may be wondering how to check the status o...Read More
A Guide to Checking HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Claim Status
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company offers various ways to check comprehensive, third-party, or own-damage car...Read More
Convert Your Third Party Car Insurance to Comprehensive Car ...
The comprehensive car insurance policy offers better risk coverage on the road than third-party car insurance....Read More
Permissible Car Insurance Claims in a Year
In India, having a valid car insurance coverage is obligatory by law. This implies that anybody who owns an au...Read More
Top 10 Small Cars in India – Price, Mileage, Specifications
Check out this list of the best ten smallest cars in India, ranked by features including price, gas economy, a...Read More
Top 10 Most Expensive Cars in India - Prices, Mileage, Specs...
In a way, the most expensive cars are more than just cars; they are a statement of excellence in all aspects. ...Read More
A Guide to Buy the Best CSD Car In 2022
If you have been planning to buy a CSD car in India, read on to know the prices of all the models in the categ...Read More
A Complete Guide to Different Bharti AXA Car Insurance Plans
One of the leading players in the Indian insurance marketplace, Bharti AXA has a lot to offer when it comes to...Read More
Mistakes to Avoid While Renewing Shriram Car Insurance Polic...
Shriram General Insurance, undoubtedly, offers best car insurance policies with attractive renewal features. B...Read More