Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Shimla
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
Shimla is a city of Himachal Pradesh state in India. It is famous for its temples, churches, and architecture, and hence it has become a big attraction for tourism. To drive a vehicle on the roads in Shimla, one must obtain a driving licence. It is illegal to drive without a valid driving licence in India as per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and one may need to pay heavy penalties and fines for breaking the rules. Hence, it becomes highly important for an individual to apply for a DL if they want to drive any type of motorized vehicle on the roads of Shimla.
Different Types of Driving Licence in Shimla
The types of driving licences depend upon the type of motor vehicle one is driving. There are the following types of driving licence (Saarthi) in Shimla:
- Light Motor Vehicle Licence: For individuals riding non-transport light motor vehicles such as bikes, cars, etc.
- Medium Motor Vehicle Licence: Licence to ride commercial (delivery) or medium vehicles like truck, tempo, or minivan.
- Heavy Motor Vehicle Licence: For Individuals wanting to drive heavy vehicles like commercial trucks.
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Licence: This type of licence is mainly an issue for people driving taxis, box and pickup trucks, trailers, etc.
- Motorcycle Without Gear Licence: Licence issued for individuals who want to drive a motorcycle having a limit of less than 50CC.
- Motorcycle With Gear Licence: Issued for people who wish to drive a motorcycle with a gear limit of 50CC or more.
What is the Eligibility Criteria to Avail Driving Licence in Shimla?
As per the MVA, 1988, the below conditions must be fulfilled to apply for a driving licence (Saarthi) in Shimla:
Minimum age is prescribed by the government to ride different types of vehicles such as –
- Non-transport vehicle- 18 years or above
- Transport vehicle- 16 years or above
- Motorcycle without gear- 16 years or above
- Commercial vehicle- 20 years or above
- A learner’s licence is mandatory for a permanent DL.
- One should apply for a permanent DL after 30 days or within 180 days from the date of issue of learner’s licence.
- The individual must have a proper understanding of traffic rules and regulations to apply for a driving licence in Shimla.
What are the Documents Required to Apply for Driving Licence in Shimla?
You must submit the documents listed below for obtaining a driving licence in Shimla:
- Age and address proof
- Photographic copies of your passport
- The prescribed fee of INR 200 (including 50 for the DL test)
- Original and valid learner’s licence
- Application Form 4
- Application Form 5 for a commercial DL
How to Apply for a Driving Licence in Shimla?
An individual can apply for a driving licence (Saarthi) in Shimla via online and offline mode. Step required would be as follows-
Via Online: Visit the official website and click on "e-services," and select “driving licence-related services.” Now, click on “Apply online” and select "new Dl." Fill in the details in the application form and upload scanned documents before paying the fee. The next step would be to book a slot to appear for the DL test
Via Offline- You can also visit your nearest RTO Office to apply for a driving licence in Shimla and ask for an application form. Fill the details and attest all the necessary documents. Pay the fee and schedule your DL test timing and date.
How to Avail of a Duplicate Driving Licence in Shimla?
You need to submit the following documents for obtaining a duplicate driving licence (Saarthi) in Shimla in case your DL gets stolen, damaged, or lost. This procedure can be done via both online and offline methods:
- The application fee is INR 250
- The FIR copy (theft DL)
- Age and address proof
- DL details
- Application form- LLD
How to Avail of a Renewed Driving Licence in Shimla?
You can get a renewed driving licence in Shimla through the online or offline method discussed above. The following documents are required for Shimla's driving licence (Saarthi) renewal.
- Application Form-9 (Form -1A for drivers over 40 years of age)
- Age and address proof (self-attested)
- Expired DL copy
How to Avail of an International Driving Licence in Shimla?
International DLs are issued to individuals who are foreigners driving in India or Indians who want to drive in foreign. Requirements for obtaining an international driving licence in Shimla (both online and offline methods) are as follows:
- Photographs of passport size
- Original DL
- The Valid Visa and passport
After verifying the above docs, RTO will issue the international DL to you.
How to Avail of a Commercial Driving Licence in Shimla?
You can apply for a commercial driving licence in Shimla through the online or offline process discussed earlier. For obtaining a commercial driving licence (Saarthi) in Shimla, you need the following documents:
- Address and identity proof
- Form 2, 1A, 5
- Passport-size photographs
How to Check Driving Licence Status in Shimla?
You can check your status of driving licence (Saarthi) in Shimla through their website; the following steps are required to be followed:
- Visit Parivahan Sewa’s official website https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
- Select "Online Services" and then select "DL-related services."
- Select the state (Himachal Pradesh).
- Click on "Application status."
- Submit your details and captcha.
Driving Licence Test Procedure in Shimla
The DL is issued within 2-3 weeks by the RTO only after passing the test. If you fail the test, you can reappear after seven days. Rule 15 is the application of MVA, 1988 for this provision. The motor vehicle inspects the applicant's driving skills. He will also check whether the applicant is well-versed in traffic rules and regulations. The test paper consists of 20 questions, out of which the applicant will have to answer 12 or more questions correctly for passing the test.
Add ons for your Car Insurance
FAQs on How to Get a Driving Licence in Shimla
1. Can I apply for DL in any RTO location in Shimla?
Yes, you can apply through any RTO in Shimla.
2. Can I obtain a duplicate DL in UP if my original DL was from Shimla?
Yes, for that, you need to obtain a NOC from Shimla RTO.
3. What would be the validity of the learner's licence in Shimla?
The validity for a learner’s licence in Shimla is six months.
4. What would be the validity of Commercial DL in Shimla?
The validity of commercial DL in Shimla is three years.
5. What is the application fee for availing an international driving licence in Shimla?
The application fee for an international driving licence in Shimla is INR 1000.
Recent ArticlesView All
Availing a car insurance without a driving license can be possible under certain circumstances. Know what are ...Read More
Are you looking for the difference between third-party and first-party insurance? Learn the difference on the ...Read More
Difference between comprehensive and third-party car insurance: Comprehensive policy covers both own damages a...Read More