Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Mumbai
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
Proceed without car number
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
Mumbai is the sixth most populous metropolitan city in the world covering a population of 2.3 crores. Hence, the more people in the city, the more vehicles on the roads. It is mandatory by the law, Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, to have a valid driving licence (Saarthi). Without spending an extra penny on any middleman, this page will help you to know how you can apply for a driving licence in Mumbai. As it is a mandated task to drive any vehicle on the roads, one must have the necessary knowledge about every crucial information related to Saarthi in Mumbai.
Different Types of Driving Licence in Mumbai
Types of DL are based on the type of vehicle the person is driving. Hence, below are some important types of DL in Mumbai-
- Light Motor Vehicle Licence: Vehicles like a scooter, bikes are covered under this category of driving licence.
- Medium Motor Vehicle Licence: People using the vehicle for delivery purposes are required to obtain DL under this very category.
- Heavy Motor Vehicle Licence: Under this, commercial trucks, tempos are covered.
- Motorcycle Without Gear Licence: This type of driving Licence is issued for individuals who want to drive a motorcycle having a limit of less than 50CC.
- Motorcycle With Gear Licence: Issued for people who wish to drive a motorcycle with a gear limit of 50CC or more.
What is the Eligibility Criteria to Avail Driving Licence in Mumbai?
The Maharashtra Transport Department is working to make the driving licence procedure simple and easy. Below criterion must be fulfilled by the Mumbaikars to avail a DL in Mumbai city-
- Age Criteria: Minimum age is prescribed by the government to ride different types of vehicle such as –
- A motor vehicle with gear or a four-wheeler- 18 years or above
- Motor vehicle without gear- 16 years or above
- Heavy Commercial vehicle- 20 years or above
- Knowledge of rules and guidelines- The individual must have a proper understanding of traffic rules and regulations to apply for a driving licence in Mumbai.
Documents Needed to Apply for Driving Licence in Mumbai
The below documents for obtaining a driving licence in Mumbai must be fulfilled-
- PAN card copy
- Passport-sized photos- 2
- Address proof- passport/ Voter ID card/ Ration card
- Age proof- birth certificate/ school TC
- A fee of INR 200 is applicable
- Learner’s licence copy
- Duly filled Application Form 4
- Duly filled Application Form 5 (commercial DL)
How to Apply for a Driving Licence in Mumbai?
An individual can apply for a driving licence (Saarthi) in Mumbai online or also can visit the office in physical mode. Step required would be as follows-
- Visit the official website or visit the nearest RTO
- Click on "e-services” and select “driving licence related services” or obtain the application form from the officers
- Fill required fields in the application form
- Choose the new DL option from the form
- Upload scanned documents or attach the application form on paper
- Pay the prescribed fee
- Book a time and date slot for the test
- Appear for the test on a selected date and time
- If you pass it, you will get the DL at your registered address
How to Avail of a Duplicate Driving Licence in Mumbai?
Now, you can also apply for a duplicate driving licence in Mumbai by following the below steps-
- The application fee is INR 250
- The FIR copy ( in case of theft DL)
- Age proof, identity proof, address proof
- Original DL details
- Application form- LLD
How to Avail of a Renewed Driving License in Mumbai?
The permanent DL is valid up to earlier of the following dates-
- 20 years passed from issue date
- DL holder acquires the age of 50 years
You can get a renewed driving licence in Mumbai through both online and offline methods. The following documents are required for Mumbai’s driving licence (Saarthi) renewal
- Application Form-9
- Application Form -1A applicable for drivers aged over 40 years
- Age and address proof (self-attested)
- Expired DL copy
How to Apply for an International Driving Licence in Mumbai?
Requirements for obtaining an international driving licence in Mumbai (both online and offline methods) are as follows:
- Filled application form along with a fee of INR1000
- Passport-size photographs- 2
- Residence proof
Requirements for Availing a Commercial Driving Licence in Mumbai?
You can apply for a commercial driving licence in Mumbai through the online or offline process discussed earlier. For obtaining a commercial driving licence (Saarthi) in Mumbai, you need the following documents:
- Address proof
- Identity proof
- Form 2, 1A, 5
- Passport-size photographs- 2
How to Check Driving Licence in Mumbai?
You can check the status of your driving licence (Saarthi) in Mumbai through the official website of the transport department, the following steps are required to be followed:
- Visit Parivahan Sewa’s official website https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/
- Select "Online Services" from the webpage
- Then select "DL-related services"
- Select the state (Himachal Pradesh)
- Click on “Apply online”
- Click on “Application status”
- Submit your details and captcha
- Your application status will appear on the page
Driving Licence Test Procedure in Mumbai
Once you pass the DL test, it will be issued by the respective RTO within 2-3 weeks. In a case where you fail the test, you can reappear for it after 7 days. The DL test comprises 20 questions of two sections as below-
- Practical – Under this, the inspector will inspect the driving skills of the applicants.
- Theoretical- Under the theoretical, general questions related to traffic guidelines are asked.
Add ons for your Car Insurance
FAQs on How to Get a Driving Licence in Mumbai
1. Can I apply for DL in any RTO location in Mumbai?
Yes, you can apply through any RTO in Mumbai online.
2. Can I obtain a duplicate DL in UP if my original DL was from Mumbai?
Yes, but for that, you need to obtain a NOC from Mumbai RTO.
3. What would be the validity of the learner's licence in Mumbai?
The validity of a LL would be for up to 6 months.
4. What would be the validity of Commercial DL in Mumbai?
It is for 3 years.
5. What is the time limit for obtaining a permanent DL in Mumbai?
A learner’s licence is mandatory for a permanent DL. One should apply for a permanent DL after 30 days or within 180 days from the date of issue of learner’s licence.
You May Also Like
Buy Insurance Plans
Recent ArticlesView All
How to Check SBI General Insurance Claim Status?
Have you recently claimed your SBI car insurance policy? If so, you may be wondering how to check the status o...Read More
A Guide to Checking HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Claim Status
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company offers various ways to check comprehensive, third-party, or own-damage car...Read More
Convert Your Third Party Car Insurance to Comprehensive Car ...
The comprehensive car insurance policy offers better risk coverage on the road than third-party car insurance....Read More
Permissible Car Insurance Claims in a Year
In India, having a valid car insurance coverage is obligatory by law. This implies that anybody who owns an au...Read More
Top 10 Small Cars in India – Price, Mileage, Specifications
Check out this list of the best ten smallest cars in India, ranked by features including price, gas economy, a...Read More
Top 10 Most Expensive Cars in India - Prices, Mileage, Specs...
In a way, the most expensive cars are more than just cars; they are a statement of excellence in all aspects. ...Read More
A Guide to Buy the Best CSD Car In 2022
If you have been planning to buy a CSD car in India, read on to know the prices of all the models in the categ...Read More
A Complete Guide to Different Bharti AXA Car Insurance Plans
One of the leading players in the Indian insurance marketplace, Bharti AXA has a lot to offer when it comes to...Read More
Mistakes to Avoid While Renewing Shriram Car Insurance Polic...
Shriram General Insurance, undoubtedly, offers best car insurance policies with attractive renewal features. B...Read More