Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Driving Licence in Chennai
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
Proceed without car number
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
A driving licence is mandatory to drive on Indian roads. Any motor vehicle should be driven in India with a valid DL. If not, the rider would be prosecuted by the law. Within 6 months of availing of a learner’s licence, you have to appear for a driving test to get a permanent driving licence. This can take a matter of 2-3 weeks.
In Chennai, the Regional Transport Authority (RTA) is responsible for issuing driving licences. Read on to find out the various other functions of the Chennai RTO.
Different Types of Driving Licence in Chennai
The type of driving licence in Chennai depends on the kind of vehicle the person drives. Here is a list of different types of driving licences in Chennai:
- Light Motor Vehicle Licence (LMV): This is issued for light motor vehicles.
- Medium Motor Vehicle Licence: This is issued for medium motor vehicles.
- Heavy Motor Vehicle Licence (HVM): This is issued for heavy motor vehicles.
- Motorcycle Without Gear Licence: This is issued for motorcycles without gears.
- Motorcycle With Gear Licence: This is issued for motorcycles with gears.
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Licence: This is issued for commercial motor vehicles.
What are the Eligibility Criteria to Get a Driving Licence in Chennai?
To obtain a driving licence in Chennai, the applicant has to comply with all the following conditions mandatorily:
- To drive a motorcycle without gear, the person must be at least 16 years of age.
- To drive a light motor vehicle, the person must be at least 18 years of age.
- To drive a heavy motor vehicle, the person must be at least 20 years of age.
- The person must have a valid learner’s licence.
- The person must know about traffic rules and regulations in Chennai.
What are the Documents Required to Apply for a Driving Licence in Chennai?
The following documents are required to be submitted for obtaining a driving licence in Chennai:
- A valid learner’s licence
- Age Proof: Aadhar card, Voters ID, etc.
- Address Proof: PAN card, Aadhar card, etc.
- Passport-sized photos
- Form 4
How to Apply for a Driving Licence in Chennai?
A person can apply for a driving licence in Chennai online or offline.
- Online method: Visit the official Saarthi website and click on the ‘Drivers/ Learners Licence’ under the 'Licence Related Services’ section. Select ‘Bihar’ as your state in the drop-down menu. Now click on the ‘Apply for Driving Licence’ option available on the page. Fill the form and upload the documents. Pay the fee and book a driving test slot.
- Offline method: Visit the Regional Transport Authority (RTA) office and collect the application form. Fill out the form and attach the required documents. Then, pay the application fee and book a slot for the driving test.
How to Get a Duplicate Driving Licence in Chennai?
You can get a duplicate driving licence in Chennai online or offline by referring to the process mentioned above. The following documents are required for availing the same:
- Details the original DL
- Torn/damaged DL
- Application form LLD
- Copy of the FIR, if DL is stolen
- Passport size photographs
- Age and address proofs
- Application fee of INR 215
How to Do Chennai Driving Licence Renewal?
You can get a renewed driving licence in Chennai by following the online or offline process mentioned above. The following documents are required for driving licence renewal in Chennai:
- Application Form 9
- Form 1 and 1A (for drivers over 50 years of age)
- Aadhar card
- Passport-sized photos
- Application fee of INR 200
How to Get an International Driving Licence in Chennai?
If you want to drive a motor vehicle abroad, you can apply for International Driver's Permit (IDP) in Chennai, which is valid for a year from the date of issue. You can avail the same through the online or offline method mentioned above. Documents required for applying for an international driving licence in Chennai are as follows:
- Form 4A
- Passport-sized photos
- Copy of permanent DL
- Attested copy of the visa
- Attested copy of passport
- Medical Form
- Medical certificate
- Application fee of INR 1000
How to Apply for a Commercial Driving Licence in Chennai?
You can avail a commercial driving licence in Chennai through the online or offline process mentioned above. The documents required for applying for a commercial driving licence in Chennai are:
- Form 5
- Form 5A
- Form 15
- Valid LMV Driving Licence
- Application Form 2
- Certificate by a recognized driving school
- Application fee of INR 1100
How to Check Driving Licence Status in Chennai?
You can check the status of your driving licence in Chennai through the Saarthi portal online, by following the given steps:
- Visit Saarthi official website (https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/).
- Click on the 'Drivers/Learners Licence' tab under the 'Licence Related Services' section.
- Choose the state as ‘Chennai.'
- Click on 'Application Status' in the top bar menu.
- Enter required details like application number and date of birth and click on 'Submit.'
- Your application status will then be displayed on the screen.
Driving Licence Test Procedure in Chennai
As a final step, the applicant applying for a driving licence in Chennai has to undergo a driving test in the presence of a motor vehicle inspector. To take the test, the applicant has to get his vehicle. In addition to this test, the applicant will have to appear for an online exam about traffic rules and regulations. If the applicant clears both tests, DL will be issued within a few days.
Add ons for your Car Insurance
FAQs on How to Get a Driving Licence in Chennai
1. How much does a driving licence cost in Chennai?
The cost of a driving licence in Chennai is INR 200, whereas the driving licence test costs INR 300.
2. How many days will it take to get a driving licence after qualifying a driving test in Chennai?
It will take around 30 days to receive a driving licence after qualifying the driving test in Chennai.
3. How can I get a smart driving licence in Chennai?
You can apply for a smart driving licence in Chennai by visiting the official website of Parivahan Sewa/Saarthi (https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/).
4. How do I apply for a driving licence online in Chennai?
Visit the Saarthi website (https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/) and click on the 'Drivers/ Learners Licence' under the 'Licence Related Services' section. Then, select 'Chennai’ as the state and fill out the application form.
5. Is the automatic car allowed in the driving test in Chennai?
Yes, an automatic car is allowed in driving tests in Chennai.
You May Also Like
Buy Insurance Plans
Recent ArticlesView All
How to Check SBI General Insurance Claim Status?
Have you recently claimed your SBI car insurance policy? If so, you may be wondering how to check the status o...Read More
A Guide to Checking HDFC ERGO Car Insurance Claim Status
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company offers various ways to check comprehensive, third-party, or own-damage car...Read More
Convert Your Third Party Car Insurance to Comprehensive Car ...
The comprehensive car insurance policy offers better risk coverage on the road than third-party car insurance....Read More
Permissible Car Insurance Claims in a Year
In India, having a valid car insurance coverage is obligatory by law. This implies that anybody who owns an au...Read More
Top 10 Small Cars in India – Price, Mileage, Specifications
Check out this list of the best ten smallest cars in India, ranked by features including price, gas economy, a...Read More
Top 10 Most Expensive Cars in India - Prices, Mileage, Specs...
In a way, the most expensive cars are more than just cars; they are a statement of excellence in all aspects. ...Read More
A Guide to Buy the Best CSD Car In 2022
If you have been planning to buy a CSD car in India, read on to know the prices of all the models in the categ...Read More
A Complete Guide to Different Bharti AXA Car Insurance Plans
One of the leading players in the Indian insurance marketplace, Bharti AXA has a lot to offer when it comes to...Read More
Mistakes to Avoid While Renewing Shriram Car Insurance Polic...
Shriram General Insurance, undoubtedly, offers best car insurance policies with attractive renewal features. B...Read More