What Documents are Required to Buy Two Wheeler Insurance Policy?
It is important for all two-wheeler owners to be financially secure at all times. Having a two-wheeler insurance policy guarantees a safe bike riding experience. However, data reported by the Ministry of Road and Transport shows that only one out of three vehicles is completely insured. The most common excuse two-wheeler owners make is the complex buying process. In reality, the process is very simple. You only need a few documents and a simple application form for buying two-wheeler insurance. Read more to find out -
Documents Required to Issue Two Wheeler Insurance
IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India) has released a predetermined list of documents that are mandatory to issue two-wheeler insurance. This list is common both - the public as well as the private sector.
The list of documents to be submitted along with the insurance policy form are:
- Basic details of the policyholder such as DOB, name, gender, address, occupation.
- Driving license of the vehicle owner.
- Vehicle registration certificate number and registration number.
- Policy number of the expired two-wheeler insurance (if applicable)
- Credit or debit card (for online transaction)
PRO-TIP: Failure to present any of the above documents can result in the rejection of the two-wheeler insurance application.
1. What should I do if my Documents are Lost?
The above-mentioned documents are mandatory at the time of buying two-wheeler insurance. If you fail to submit those, your application may be rejected. However, depending on the document that you have lost, you can contact your insurance provider and offer to submit an alternate document.
2. I don’t have original documents with me, can I submit the photocopies of the documents?
There is almost no paperwork involved when you buy two-wheeler insurance online. You can simply upload the scanned pictures of your documents on the website and get your policy issued within minutes.
3. Can I get a duplicate copy of my policy documents from an insurance company?
Yes! When you buy online, a copy of your policy document is instantly sent to your registered email ID.
4. Is there any difference between online and offline document submission?
The main difference between online and offline document submission is the involvement of agents. Since the entire offline process is mediated by agents, the process is time-consuming. When you buy two-wheeler insurance online, you do not have to interact with any agents. You can compare and buy the policy on your own without any help. Document submission is as simple as clicking a picture on your smartphone.
5. How can I rectify mistakes in my documents?
If your policy document has any mistakes like wrong spelling or incorrect gender, you can make the changes via the policy endorsement process. You will need to contact your insurance provider via call or send an email describing the error.
6. What documents do I need to submit at the time of policy renewal?
Usually, the policy term for two-wheeler insurance is 1 year from the date of issue. Therefore it is important to renew your two-wheeler insurance. Depending on your insurer, you can also choose a long term multi-year plan. The documents to be submitted remain the same. They are:
- Identity Proof (driving license or passport or any other government-issued ID eg: PAN card, Aadhaar card).
- Address Proof (driving license or passport or any other government-issued address proof)
- Passport-size photo
- Driving license of the vehicle owner.
- Vehicle’s registration certificate (RC) and registration number.
- Policy number of the expired two-wheeler insurance
- Credit or debit card (for online transaction).
These documents need to be submitted along with the insurance renewal form. Once the documents are verified, you will be informed about the successful renewal of your two-wheeler insurance.