A two wheeler insurance policy is an ultimate solution for the protection of your two wheeler against uncertainties. But, an often asked question is, does it cover the damages incurred by your bike in a fire accident? Well, the answer to this question, depends on the type of two wheeler plan opted by you. Although fires seem like an unlikely incident, it is always wise to check if your two-wheeler insurance policy covers damages against fire or not.
Types of Two Wheeler Insurance Plans Which Cover Damages By Fire
On the basis of coverage, there are three types of two wheeler insurance policies namely third-party two wheeler insurance, standalone own-damage two wheeler insurance policy, and comprehensive two-wheeler insurance plan. Read on to know which of them shield your two-wheeler against fire damages -
1. Third-party Two Wheeler Insurance Policy
A third-party two-wheeler insurance only shields you against the third-party damages incurred by your bike such as bodily injuries, disability, death, and property damage incurred by a third party in an accident involving your two wheeler. Thus, a third-party two-wheeler insurance plan does not protect your vehicle against its own damages including those incurred due to fire.
2. Standalone Own-damage Two Wheeler Insurance Policy
As the name suggests, a standalone own-damage two wheeler insurance policy protects your bike against all own damages incurred by it in any unfortunate event such as road accident, natural calamity, man-made disaster, fire, theft, burglary, riots, strikes, etc. Thus, this plan does protect your two wheeler against fire damages. However, please note that a third-party two wheeler insurance plan is a mandatory requirement as per the Motor Vehicles Act and thus, you must have a third-party two wheeler insurance along with this plan to avoid legal penalties.
3. Comprehensive Two Wheeler Insurance Policy
A comprehensive two wheeler insurance policy offers all-around protection against all kinds of damage which your two wheeler might incur including third-party liabilities as well as own-damages incurred by your two-wheeler. Thus, this plan also protects your two-wheeler against fire damages. In fact, a comprehensive two wheeler insurance plan offers the maximum insurance coverage among all two wheeler insurance plans.
Let’s take a look at the example below to have a better clarity on the claim against fire.
Mr. Akhil had purchased the IFFCO Tokio Comprehensive Two Wheeler Insurance in the month of August, 2021. In October, his bike seats were damaged by fire from crackers, from a Diwali celebration. For the repair of his two-wheeler seats, he decided to claim the benefit under his two wheeler insurance plan. He called the customer support team of IFFCO Tokio General Insurance and shared his policy number and details of the incident. He was provided with a claim intimation number on successful claim registration.
The insurance company sent a surveyor to Mr. Akhil’s place and inspected the two wheeler for damage. Upon submission of the damage assessment report, the insurance provider started with the claim verification process. At this stage, Mr. Akhil was required to submit required documents like his Driver’s licence copy, RC copy, duly signed claim form, etc. On successful verification of the documents, IFFCO Tokio General Insurance approved his claim and he was able to get the damages seats of his two wheeler repaired at a network garage of the insurance company.
How to Make a Two Wheeler Insurance Claim for Fire Damages?
It is important to follow the right steps while making a two wheeler insurance claim for fire damages to avoid claim rejection. You can follow the below-mentioned steps to make a fire claim for your two wheeler -
- The first and the foremost step is to inform the insurance provider about the accident. You will be required to provide your policy number along with details like date and time of the incident, location of the damage, individuals involved, etc..
- Upon intimation, the insurance provider will provide you with a claim intimation number and send a surveyor at the place of the accident to assess the damages.
- Post assessment of the damages, the surveyor will send a report to the insurer basis which the claim will be processed.
- After the report submission, you will be required to submit required documents to the insurance provider.
- Upon verification of the submitted documents and acceptance of the claim request, the repair work of your two wheeler will get initiated.
- If you visit a network garage of the insurer for the repair work, your claim will be settled in a cashless manner, otherwise, you will be required to make the payment for the repairs yourself and get the reimbursement for the same later from the insurer which usually takes 7-10 working days.
Documents Required to Make a Two Wheeler Insurance Claim for Damages Due to Fire
Following documents are usually required to make a two wheeler insurance claim for damages due to fire. However, it is recommended that you consult your insurance provider to check the exact documents required for submission.
- Filled and signed claim form
- Copy of Registration Certificate (RC)
- Copy of Driver’s License
- Proof of incidents like photographs or newspaper cuttings, if it is a public incident
- FIR report, if applicable
- Repair bills, in case of reimbursement claim.
Best 5 Two Wheeler Insurance Plans for Protection Against Fire Damages
There are a host of two wheeler insurance plans that offer protection against damages caused by fire. Here are the best 5 two wheeler insurance plans which you can choose as per the claim settlement ratio registered by insurance companies in FY 2019-2020.
|Two Wheeler Insurance Plan||Claim Settlement Ratio FY 2019-2020*|
|IFFCO Tokio Comprehensive Two Wheeler Insurance||95.30%|
|Royal Sundaram Comprehensive Two Wheeler Insurance||92.66%|
|Oriental Comprehensive Two Wheeler Insurance||91.76%|
|HDFC ERGO Comprehensive Two Wheeler Insurance||91.23%|
|Universal Sompo Comprehensive Two Wheeler Insurance||90.78%|
(*Data As Per IRDAI Annual Report FY 2019-2020)