The engine is the heart of a bike, and without it, no bike can run properly. As a result, it's important to keep your bike's engine in top shape at all times. However, as the bike ages or is driven often, the engine can malfunction. If the bike is driven multiple times through waterlogged areas or floods, it may also incur major damage. The engine, being the most critical component of the bike, maybe costly to fix or replace.
Damage to the insured bike's engine can be a costly affair. If it's due to flooding, which has caused harm to parts of the engine, or oil leakage, which has disrupted the engine's operation, you'll need financial compensation to fix the damage. Although engine repairs are uncommon, there is no denying that the cost of doing so is prohibitively high.
What is an Engine Protection Bike Insurance Add-on Cover?
A Bike Engine Protection Cover is an additional add-on that is available for purchase with standalone own-damage plans and comprehensive plans. It expands the standard insurance coverage of your plan and protects your finances in the event of engine damage. Since, by default the engine is not protected under a standard insurance policy, you can purchase it as an add-on cover to keep your engine shielded against the cost of repairing or replacing engine and gearbox parts damaged by water ingression, lubricant oil/coolant leaks, or a hydrostatic lock.
What All is Included Under an Engine Protection Bike Insurance Add-on Cover?
A Bike Engine Protection Add-on provides coverage for the following -
1. Bike Engine Damage - It covers the expense of fixing or removing the bike's engine or all of its components, such as the crankshaft, connecting rods, and so on.
2. Gearbox Damage - This coverage covers the expense of fixing or removing the bike's gearbox.
3. Water Ingression - This two wheeler insurance covers any loss or harm to the bike's engine as a result of outside water entering the engine.
Mr. Singhania, who lives in Meghalaya, had purchased a two-wheeler and a comprehensive two wheeler insurance policy for it in May 2019. However, since the area where he lives experiences heavy rains and frequent water logging issues, soon the engine of his two wheeler stopped working properly due to water ingression. He soon contacted the customer care team of Reliance General Insurance from whom he had purchased the two wheeler insurance policy to register a claim for the damage. However, since he had not purchased an Engine Protection Add on with his two wheeler insurance policy, the insurance provider informed him that the engine damage due to water ingression is not covered in his insurance coverage by default. Thus, Mr. Singhania had to pay for the repair expenses of his bike’s damaged engine himself.
4. Leakage of Lubricant Oil - It covers the costs of repairs resulting from lubricant oil leakage from the bike's engine.
5. Damage to the Bike's Hydrostatic Lock - This insurance covers any failure or damage to the bike's hydrostatic lock caused by an attempt to start the two-wheeler when the engine was wet.
6. Damage to the Bike's Undercarriage - This insurance covers any damage to the bike's undercarriage.
7. Consumables Costs - This includes the costs of consumables used in the automobile during the engine repair. Lubricant oil, nuts and bolts, coolants, and other consumables are examples.
8. Labor Costs - It covers the labour costs associated with repairing or replacing the bike's engine or components.
Why Engine Protection Add-on Cover is a Must For Flood-prone Areas?
An Engine Protection Add-On Cover Is A Must For Flood-Prone Areas for the following reasons -
- Engine Is The Most Expensive Part of Bike: The engine is the most costly part of a bike. Naturally, removing the engine or all of its components can be very costly. Furthermore, replacing the bike's engine is very costly. However, with engine safety, you won't have to think about the cost of having your bike's engine fixed or replaced.
- Hefty Engine Repair Expenses: In the event that your bike's engine is damaged, your simple motor insurance policy would not be helpful. However, if you purchase engine safety as an add-on cover, the bike insurance company will cover the cost of fixing any damage to your bike's engine or its components. This helps you escape the hefty engine repair expenses.
- Significant Labor And Material Charges: Choosing add-on insurance coverage will raise the premium, but you will save a lot of money in the long run. This is especially important in the awful situation that your bike is involved in an accident. The Engine Protector insurance is one such add-on cover that offers extremely valuable asset protection. You will incur substantial labour and material costs for the repair of your bike engine if you do not have an Engine cover.
- Ensures Longevity of Bike: The engine is one of the most vital components of a bike. The engine of a bike must work properly in order for it to last as long as possible. If your bike's engine is damaged and you are unable to get it repaired due to a lack of funds, your bike will cease to work entirely. Engine safety insurance, on the other hand, will provide for the maintenance of your bike's engine, ensuring that it runs smoothly for years to come.
An engine protection add-on cover will provide you with the required protection for your bike’s engine if you want to shield your vehicle against damage from oil leakages or water during the rainy season. In short, if your bike insurance policy has the right inclusions, you won't have to pay from your pocket in case of engine damage.