header Two Wheeler Insurance

How Relocation Affects Bike Insurance Premium

07 June 2022, 2:27 PM

There are various factors which affect the premium of a two wheeler insurance plan. One of these factors which affect the premium is the location of the RTO (Regional Transport Office) at which it is registered. Thus, the premium gets changed when you relocate your two wheeler from one city to another. This is because cities are divided into different zones. And for each of the zones, the premium amount of a two wheeler insurance plan is different.

So, how does relocation from a Zone B city to a Zone A city affect the premium to your two wheeler insurance plan? Let’s find that out in this article.

How Many Insurance Zones are There in India?

Zone A and Zone B are the two insurance zones in India. Zone A includes 8 cities namely New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Pune, and Ahmedabad and the rest of the Indian cities are a part of Zone B.

In the 8 cities that make up Zone A, the cost of two wheeler insurance is higher than Zone B cities. This is due to the fact that these areas have a larger population and heavier traffic, putting your two wheeler at greater risk.

Two Wheeler Insurance Rates for Different Zones 

Based on the vehicle's age and engine size, the following table shows the two wheeler insurance premiums for the different zones:

Premium Rates For Zone A

Age of the Two Wheeler/ Cubic CapacityLess than 1000 CC1000 - 1500 CCAbove 1500 CC
Less than 5 years3.127% of the IDV3.283% of the IDV3.440% of the IDV
5 to 10 years old3.283% of the IDV3.447% of the IDV3.612% of the IDV
Above 10 years3.362% of the IDV3.529% of the IDV3.698% of the IDV

Premium Rates For Zone B

Age of the vehicleLess than 1000 CC1000 - 1500 CCAbove 1500 CC
Less than 5 years3.039% of the IDV3.191% of the IDV3.343% of the IDV
5 to 10 years old3.191% of the IDV3.351% of the IDV3.510% of the IDV
Above 10 years3.267% of the IDV3.430% of the IDV3.596% of the IDV

How does Relocation Affect Your Two Wheeler Premium From Zone B City To Zone A City?

If you are moving from a Zone B city to Zone A city, it is very much likely that your two wheeler insurance plan’s premium will increase. This is because, unlike the city you are from,  the Zone A cities are metropolitan/upcoming metropolitan cities where the population is considerably very high. Consequently, the risk of accidents while riding a bike in these cities is higher. Thus, insurance companies tend to charge higher premiums due to the higher risk in the city.

In December 2020, Mr. Raman moved from Bhubaneshwar to Delhi to pursue his higher studies. He decided to take his bike with him as travelling with a bike around the new city seemed more convenient to him. When he went to update his address details for his two wheeler insurance, he was informed by the customer support team of his insurance provider that there would be a change in the premium amount due to the relocation. The customer support executive explained to him that this was because he was moving from a Zone B city (Bhubaneshwar) to a Zone A (Delhi) city. Since the risks of accidents in Zone A cities are considered to be higher than Zone B cities, he was required to pay a higher premium amount post relocation.

How to Get Your Address Changed in Your Two Wheeler Insurance Policy?

A bike insurance policy includes vital information about your bike as well as your personal information. Your home address is one of them. This is why it's important to get your policy records changed if your address changes. There are several steps to the procedure, and you will be required to make certain payments.

Follow these basic steps to update the address on your bike insurance papers:

  1. First and foremost, you must submit an application to update your address information on your motor vehicle's Certificate of Registration. To do so, fill out Form 33 and send it along with an INR 20 fee.
  2. Form 33, along with proof of your new address, must be sent to complete the process of changing your name on your two-wheeler insurance papers. A copy of the RC book must also be submitted.

If you've moved from one state to another, you'll need to change your bike's registration. Your bike insurance premium can also adjust due to the effect of your residence's geographic position on the premium price. In comparison to tier 2 and 3 cities, tier 1 cities charge a higher premium. As a result, you must complete this move. You must take the following steps:

  • Fill out an application for a change of registration. This is by filling out Form 27.
  • Along with the Form 27, you also need to submit various documents. These include:
  1. RC Book
  2. Address Proof
  3. NOC Certificate
  4. Bike Insurance Certificate
  5. PUC Certificate
  6. Tax Receipts

Your bike will have new registration after you complete these steps and submit the documents. The insurance documents should then be updated accordingly. You'll have a year to update your address and registration. So you could do it when you renew your two-wheeler insurance. However, it is strongly advised that you do so as soon as possible and keep your insurance records up to date.                


If you are relocating from Zone B city to Zone A city, be prepared to pay a higher premium. The premium rates of Zone A cities are higher than Zone B cities or the rest of India. While relocating make sure you follow all the procedures carefully to have a hassle-free experience. 

Two wheeler Insurance banner
Two wheeler Insurance

Starting at only ₹1.5 per Day*

Enter your details to buy Bike Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
Proceed without two wheeler number