The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has laid down rules that require two wheeler owners to have certain certifications related to their two wheeler's health and working in order to ensure that two wheelers ply Indian roads in the best possible condition. The two wheeler fitness certificate is one such significant certificate. According to the Motor Vehicles Act of 1989, a two wheeler's registration is only valid if it is accompanied by a valid two wheeler fitness certificate.
A certificate of fitness for two-wheelers is a government-issued document that certifies that the two-wheeler is safe to ride on public roads in terms of its overall health. Law requires both commercial and private two wheelers to have a fitness certificate. You can get the fitness certificate for your two-wheeler by submitting all documents to the MoRTH electronically.
What is a Fitness Certificate for a Two Wheeler?
A two-wheeler fitness certificate is a document that certifies that a two-wheeler is in good working order. Along with the registration certificate, all commercial motor two wheelers must have a valid two wheeler fitness certificate. According to the rules of The Motor Vehicles Act, 1989, a vehicle's registration is only valid if it has a valid and up-to-date two-wheeler fitness certificate.
How to Apply for a Fitness Certificate for a Two Wheeler?
You can apply for a fitness certificate for your two wheeler by following the below-mentioned steps -
- Visit the Government of India's official website, Parivahan Sewa Road & Highways.
- Choose "Vehicle Related Services," under "Online Services".
- You will see two options to select the state you reside in, choose the relevant option.
- Create an account and enter the registration number of your two wheeler.
- Select Fitness Certificate Application.
- Enter your two wheeler’s chassis number.
- Enter your mobile number and generate an OTP.
- Click "Show Details" after entering the OTP sent to your registered phone number.
- Check if details are right, then click "Payment" and then "Confirm Payment".
- Then choose your preferred payment method and make an online payment.
- Note keep your application number handy and go to the nearest RTO for information on the vehicle inspection date, time, and location. Arrive at the specified time and date to get your two wheeler inspected.
If the two wheeler has any defects or technical faults, the inspector will recommend repairs. If the defects are not corrected by the next inspection date, a fitness certificate will not be issued. If no problems are found, you will be given a vehicle fitness certificate.
When Mr. Gaurav went on a road trip in January, 2021, he made sure to take the fitness certificate of his two wheeler. While on his trip, he was asked to provide the fitness certificate at a toll booth. He had known about such measures which is why he had made sure to obtain the Fitness Certificate from his Regional Transport Office. The process had been quite simple and smooth and he only had to submit documents like a copy of his driver’s licence, a valid bike insurance certificate etc., to get the fitness certificate. Since he was able to show the Fitness Certificate for his two wheeler, he did not have to pay any fine or face any hassle. However, his friend, with whom he was on the trip, could not provide the fitness certificate when asked. As a result, his friend had to face legal penalties for not complying with the law.
Why is a Two Wheeler Fitness Certificate Needed?
Following are the key reasons why a two wheeler fitness certificate is required -
- To search and track the emissions caused by the emission of smoke from a two wheeler. This is critical in light of the ongoing issue of rising pollution due to two wheeler smoke emissions.
- To maintain and operate a two-wheeler in a safe and reasonable manner.
- To prevent road accidents that can arise as a result of a vehicle's poor condition.
Two Wheeler Fitness Certificate Fees and Charges
|Fees||Conducting Test Fee (INR)||Issue of Fitness Certificate (INR)||Service Charge (INR)|
|Class of vehicle|
|Three Wheeler/Quadric cycle/LMV||400||600||200||50|
|MGV / HGV||600||1000||200||50|
Eligibility, Validity, Processing Time, Renewal of Two Wheeler Fitness Certificate
- Eligibility: All registered owners of two-wheelers, having a driver’s license, are eligible to apply for a two-wheeler fitness certificate.
- Fitness Certificate Validity: A two wheeler fitness certificate is valid for a period of 15 years from the date of issuance.
- Fitness Certificate Processing Time: A two wheeler fitness certificate can be obtained on the same day of application.
- Renewal : A fitness certificate every 5 years subsequent the initial issue which is valid for 15 years. It is important to keep in mind that the processing time limit for renewing a Registration Certificate with a two-wheeler fitness certificate is three business days.
List of Documents Needed to Obtain a Two Wheeler Fitness Certificate
The following is a list of documents required to apply for a two wheeler fitness certificate:
- Application Form 20
- Sales certification Form 21
- Road worthy Certificate Form 22
- Receipt of road tax paid
- Original registration certificate of the vehicle
- Valid insurance certificate
- Valid Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate
- Certificate of permit
- A pencil imprint of the two-wheeler chassis
- Valid address proof
- Valid identification proof
- Passport size photographs
- Temporary registration, if any
After submitting the above documents, your two-wheeler will receive a fitness certificate by the RTO (Regional Transport Office). Your two wheeler will be reviewed by a two wheeler. Examiner at the time of the first registration.
A two wheeler fitness certificate authenticates the condition of your two wheeler and its ability to ply on Indian roads with safety. It is important to remember that riding a two wheeler without a valid fitness certificate is an offense and the two wheeler is treated unregistered in such a case. Thus, to avoid legal penalties, you must get a fitness certificate for your bike in time.