With the increasing number of road accidents, insurance becomes a must to offer financial protection to you and your loved ones in case of any unfortunate incident. If you recently bought a new bike, it’s time to ensure that it is properly insured. The insurance status of your bike should be regularly checked to prevent any inconvenience in the future.
You are also required to carry valid bike insurance if you own a two-wheeler in India, but not all insurance companies allow you to check your bike insurance status online. If you have been wondering how to check your bike insurance status online via Parivahan Sewa and RTO, then you are in the right place!
In this blog post, we will be taking you through step-by-step instructions on checking your bike insurance status online via Parivahan Sewa and RTO – since both of these organisations provide up-to-date information on the insurance of the vehicles registered with them.
The Validity of Your Bike Insurance Policy
A bike insurance policy is generally valid for one year from the date of purchase. You can renew your policy before it expires or if it lapses then need to purchase a new one. If you do not have a valid insurance policy, you cannot drive on Indian roads and are liable to be penalised. So if you want to avoid getting fined by traffic cops, get your bike insured as soon as possible!
Why Should Bike Insurance Policies be Renewed Before Expiration?
Bike insurance policies should be renewed before they expire for several reasons. Here we have mentioned some of them that will help you get a clear idea:
1. Violation Leads to Penalty
Under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, every vehicle owner must have a valid insurance policy. If caught riding without insurance, you will be liable to pay a fine of INR 2,000. Additionally, your Registration Certificate (RC) and Driving Licence (DL) can be suspended for a period of 3 months. You must check your status online before renewing your RC or DL with the RTO.
2. Loss of NCB
No Claim Bonus (NCB) is a reward that you get from your insurance company for not making any claims during your policy period. If you have NCB, it can help reduce your premium when you renew your policy. However, if you make a claim, you will lose your NCB. You can check your bike insurance status online by logging into your account or contacting your insurance company.
3. Rejection of the Claim
One of the most common reasons for the rejection of a bike insurance claim is that the policyholder did not have a valid driving licence at the time of the accident. To avoid this, make sure you have a valid driving licence before you buy a bike or renew your insurance policy. Other reasons for claim rejection include riding without a helmet, riding under the influence of alcohol, and not following traffic rules.
4. Higher Premium Rate on Renewal Post Expiry
Even though third-party bike insurance is mandatory in India, a lot of bike owners let their policy lapse. This usually happens because people are unaware of the consequences of riding without insurance. If you have been caught riding without insurance, you will have to pay a higher premium when you renew your policy.
How to Check the Bike Insurance Policy Status on Parivahan Sewa?
In order to check the status of your bike insurance policy online on Parivahan Sewa, you will need the following information handy:
-Your policy number
-The date of birth of the policyholder
-The registered mobile number associated with the policy
Once you have this information, follow these steps:
- Visit the online web portal of the Parivahan Sewa.
- Find a tab on the menu bar that reads "Informational Services" and select it.
- After that, you will find a "Know Your Vehicle Details" option from the drop-down menu; select it.
- Now you will be navigated to the Vahan NR e-Services Page.
- Enter your registered mobile number to log in.
- Now you need to fill in your bike registration number with the verification code.
- Select the "Search Vehicle" tab.
- You should be able to see your bike's details and its expiry date now.
How to Check the Bike Insurance Status through the RTO?
Every bike is registered with the Regional Transport Office. To find your bike insurance status online, you can visit the online website of the RTO. Here are the steps to follow:
- First, visit the online web portal of the RTO.
- Find the "Online Services for Citizens" option and click on it.
- Click on the "Vehicle Related Online Services" option.
- Now, you need to click on the link for "VAHAN Citizen Services".
- Select the "Status" option on the tab on the menu bar.
- Then again, click on the "Know Your Vehicle details" and click on it.
- You will need to enter your engine number, bike registration number and chassis number.
- Fill in the Captcha code that is visible on the screen and click to submit the details.
- Now you should be able to see all the details related to your bike insurance policy.
In conclusion, it is very important to keep track of your bike insurance status and make sure that it is up to date. By following the steps above, you can easily check your bike insurance status online and ensure that you are protected in case of an accident or theft.