Two-wheeler insurance is required before legally driving a bike on the road. If a driver survives an accident, the insurance policy covers the damages caused to a third party. It even helps the rider's family in case of his unfortunate demise due to the accident.
However, there are various reasons why people may not renew their motorcycle insurance policies:
- Poor roadside and police management on Indian roads.
- High insurance expenses.
- Insurance providers neglect to follow up with policyholders about upcoming renewals.
The Indian government is dedicated to decreasing road accidents, as shown by the many sections of the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act. The punishment for driving without insurance has been doubled from INR 1,000 to INR 2,000 under the new laws.
Furthermore, any driver found breaking the regulation might face jail time or three months of community service. They may also face a punishment of INR 4,000 if they violate the regulations repeatedly. So, if you wish to drive lawfully on Indian roads, you must renew your vehicle insurance coverage on time.
Two-wheeler insurance has to be renewed regularly for it to be valid. Each insurance has a date when it will expire. Hence, it is vital to be informed of the policy's expiry date to avoid missing the renewal deadline. Expiration dates can readily be found online following the ways outlined in this article.
How Can You Check Your Bike Insurance Expiration Date Online?
The policy papers provide the expiration date as well as other policy specifics. There are three options to check the expiration date of the bike insurance online:
1. Visit the Insurance Information Bureau Website
The Insurance Information Bureau has all the necessary information on bike insurance policies. Follow the step-by-step procedure mentioned below to see the expiration date of your bike insurance policy:
- Visit the official website of IIB.
- Click on 'V Seva' through the 'quick links' section of the main page. It will display a form requiring vehicle-related details.
- Fill out this form with the essential information.
- Click on 'submit' after entering the captcha code.
You can also examine insurance data on the Insurance Information Bureau by following these two easy steps:
- Visit the IIB website.
- Fill out a request form. An IIB official will contact you using the number you provide and assist you.
The website will display your bike insurance policy information, including expiration details. Please remember that the site only contains data on bike insurance plans purchased after April 1, 2020. Any policies acquired before this date would not be available in the website's database. Using the same cellphone number and email address, you can view the information up to 3 times.
2. Use VAHAN to Check the Expiration Date
The Road and Transport Ministry keeps track of all insurance plans and policies on the VAHAN website. Thus, you have the option to check the date your insurance expires through VAHAN. Just follow these steps:
- Visit the VAHAN e-service site.
- Click on 'know your details' via the navigation tab.
- Enter your vehicle number and the security code.
- Choose 'search vehicle' using the drop-down menu.
- The bike insurance policy information will then be displayed on the website. In addition, the expiration date can be accessed through the 'insurance upto' column.
3. Contact Your Insurance Provider to Find out When Your Policy Expires
Your bike insurance company keeps a record of your bike insurance plans. You can view the information on your insurer's official website. Depending on the insurance provider, you can access the data by submitting your bike's registration number.
A policy document includes all of the policy's specifics, along with its validity. However, you do not have to carry your insurance documents with you all the time. You can just look it up online instead.
If you do not get your bike insurance policy renewed before it expires, you will be given a 90-day grace period during which you must renew your policy. If you are unable to do so, the insurance will lapse and you will be required to purchase it again.
So, keep track of your expiration date using the methods listed above and renew your insurance policy within time. You will be able to preserve various advantages such as a no-claim bonus and comply with traffic laws applicable to riding bikes in India.
Also read -