A driving licence (DL) and a registration certificate (RC) are two important documents for a bike owner. Although you don't need a driver's licence when buying a bike, you must have a valid one to ride it legally on Indian roads. Getting a bike insurance policy claim without these documents is untenable. When you are applying for a claim, you must include a copy of your driver's licence and RC with the claim form.
But, what if you cannot produce these documents for the bike insurance claim due to some unforeseen situations? A loss of licence or RC add-on from your insurance company can help you out.
How to Purchase the Loss of Licence or RC Add-on Cover for Your Two Wheeler Insurance?
An add-on is to further accessorise your already existing two-wheeler insurance scheme. You need to pay an additional premium to get it included in the pre-existing policy. The add-on helps make a successful insurance claim if you cannot access your registration certificate and driver's licence. You can apply for this bike insurance add-on by visiting your insurance agent or online. Go for the trusted insurance agent with a neat record.
The Benefits of Including the Loss of Licence or RC Add-On Cover in Your Bike Insurance Policy
The benefits of the loss of licence or registration certificate add-on cover are as follows:
- You can file a claim even if you don't have your driver's licence or registration certificate.
- Compensation/reimbursement in case you have misplaced your DL or RC, or it has got lost or stolen.
- You only need to pay a nominal amount to include the add-on to your bike insurance policy.
- The add-on offers more security to your two-wheeler documents.
Ways to Buy the Loss of Licence or RC Add-on Coverage Policy
To purchase the loss of licence or RC add-on, you can get it added either with your comprehensive insurance policy or with the standalone own damage policy. There is no need to provide additional information or documents when purchasing an add-on cover.
If you want the insurance amount, you may be required to present an FIR to your insurer. However, the add-on may be utilised only if your bike insurance policy is active and has not lapsed in the earlier quarter.
What Should You Do After Losing Your Driving Licence or RC?
You must follow the steps below in case you lose your RC or driver's licence:
- File a police report at the station of the area where your documents were misplaced.
- Submit an application for a copy of the RC/DL at the RTO by paying the fees. You can also submit an online request using the Parivahan website.
- You must undergo the biometrics process for the smart card driver's licence.
The RTO shall deliver you a copy of the RC/DL within a given timeline.
Things to Consider When Raising a Driving License RC Loss Insurance Claim
If you lose your bike's RC or driver's licence, abide by the following points when you file a bike insurance claim.
- Include all the required information completely and accurately in offline and online submissions.
- Ensure you have all the necessary documentation and a police report for the loss of your DL/RC.
- To file a two-wheeler insurance claim, you must do it within the time range set by your insurer.
- Before you start the claim procedure, be sure you have active insurance coverage.
- Carefully read your policy document and the terms and conditions included therein.
Bike insurance protects you against theft, unintentional damage and any challan on Indian roads. Including add-ons will undoubtedly cost you more money, but it will safeguard you in emergencies, such as losing your driver's licence and registration certificate. The insurance provider will compensate you in such unforeseen situations.