Passenger Cover in Bike Insurance
Passenger cover is a type of insurance add-on that ensures that the passengers on your bike are financially covered. A passenger cover gives financial protection to the pillion rider of the bike in case any mishap occurs. The cover helps you financially in such cases.
Consider this example:
A particular question has been bothering Karthik’s mind while he was purchasing his bike, ‘If Yashna and I go to work together every day using this bike, how can I secure her safety through an insurance policy?’
On enquiring with his insurance company and doing some research on his own, Karthik found out that he can opt-in for the passenger cover to his comprehensive bike insurance policy, which will take care of the financial liabilities arising out of the death, temporary or permanent disabilities of co-passengers on the bike. Relieved, he decided to purchase this new cover.
Wish to learn more about this cover? Read on to find out!
Features & Benefits of Passenger Cover Add-on
- A passenger cover add-on can only be availed for a comprehensive policy and not a third-party liability insurance plan.
- This add-on safeguards the interests of the passengers in the vehicle by providing for –
- cost of medical treatment,
- disability liability,
- financial assistance in case of death during an accident.
- The scale of compensation depends on the nature of the injury. For example, death and permanent disability would get the insurer to pay 100% compensation, whereas, loss of one eye or limb will result in 50% compensation.
The bike insurance company will pay the compensation as stated below:
|Types of Injury||Compensation (%)|
|Loss of sight of two eyes or two limbs/sight of one eye and one limb||100|
|Loss of sight of one eye or one limb||50|
|Permanent disability from injuries other than mentioned above||100|
What is Covered?
The following is included in the policy –
- The coverage of disability liability to passengers of the insured vehicle.
- The cost of medical treatment for passengers in case of an accident.
- Financial assistance in case of the death of passengers.
What is Not Covered?
The following is not included in the passenger cover policy –
- Damages caused to the bike by virtue of it being driven under the influence of alcohol.
- Damages caused to the bike by virtue of self-injury.
- Damages caused to the bike by virtue of contributory negligence of the insured.
- Damages caused to the bike when it was being driven by a person who lacked a valid driver’s license.
- If the damages or losses were incurred when the passenger was no longer on the bike.
Who Should Buy a Passenger Cover?
Such a policy cover is usually recommended for those who frequently travel with a co-passenger on the bike and for those who use the bikes for commercial purposes.
Factors to Keep in Mind Before Choosing Passenger Cover
- It is better to choose an online insurance policy to make the process shorter and simpler.
- The compensation that is provided by the insurance company in case of the death of the passenger is fixed.
- Having this add-on in one’s bike insurance policy will help avoid legal liabilities in case of a mishap.