Roadside Assistance Cover in Bike Insurance
Roadside assistance cover is an add-on that is meant to assist the owner of a bike if she/he gets stranded in the middle of the road with a bike that isn’t functioning properly. The cover can help if you encounter a mechanical failure, or if there is a breakdown.
Consider this example to understand this add-on:
Yash was on his way to meet his best friend and now he is stranded in the middle of the road when his bike broke down. The lifesaver of the day was the Road Assistance Cover that Yash had on his comprehensive bike insurance policy. Wish to own such a lifesaver for this not-so-uncommon contingency of a bike break down? Read on!
Features & Benefits of Roadside Assistance Add-on
- Some insurers call this cover an ‘Anywhere Assist’ cover.
- This add-on promises round the clock services such as emergency services, towing, refuelling, resolving technical issues, change of flat tyres etc.
- The insurer sends the concerned person to the site of the accident/ breakdown.
- It is a service that can be availed all year round and at any time of the day.
- The premium involved is very low and affordable.
- Would be best suited for bikes less than 5 years old.
- Under this cover, a policyholder can get various services and assistance related to:
- Fuel shortage
- Flat tyres
- Engine breakdown
- Oil leakage
- Minor repairs, etc.
What is Covered?
- A situation where the bike has an empty tank in the middle of the road and is in need of a refuel.
- A situation where the bike faces a minor breakdown and needs to be towed to the nearest garage or service station.
- A situation where the bike has a flat tyre.
- In a situation where the policyholder has misplaced the keys or has lost them, then the insurer will provide spare keys.
- Telephonic guidance for minor faults that can be repaired by the policyholder himself or herself.
- Accommodation and Transportation facility to the hotel or garage.
- Some policies help the policyholder coordinate with the nearest medical centre in case of emergencies.
What is Not Covered?
- Damages caused to the bike by virtue of it being driven under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Damages caused to the bike by virtue of contributory negligence of the insured.
- Damages caused to the bike when it was being driven by a person who lacked a valid driver’s license.
- Repair and labour cost can be covered for only the time period as stipulated in the policy. For any additional time, the charges will have to be met by the policyholder as an out-of-pocket expenditure.
Who Should Buy Road Assistance Cover?
- If one wishes to have prompt service at all times then he or she should opt-in for this cover.
- If you travel often, especially out of the station, then road assistance is warranted.
- If the age of the bike is less than 3 years and you wish to be extra careful about the condition of the bike then it is best to opt for such a cover.
- If you wish to have a hassle-free driving experience and are finicky about the minutest of issues, then it is advisable to opt for this cover.