Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Andaman and Nicobar Islands RTO
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
The vehicle registration of the Indian Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands is governed by the Motor Vehicles Act laid in 1988 under Section 213. To effectively manage the Union Territory’s transportation department, there are currently 18 RTO offices located in Andaman and Nicobar Islands. They fulfill their primary duty of committing to customer service and effectively maintain a fully operational Andaman and Nicobar RTO website for the benefit of the users.
Various Functions of the Andaman and Nicobar Transportation Department
All the Union Territory’s RTOs are located in Car Nicobar and Port Blair cities. Here we list the primary tasks carried out by the Andaman and Nicobar RTO offices:
- Administering the RTO based on the frame lines provided by the Motor Vehicles Act and its underlying rules and regulations
- Vehicle registration and its associated tasks
- Issuance and renewal of international driving permits and driving licences
- Granting permits to all types of transport vehicles and issuing countersignatures for other-state transport vehicles
- Offering online permits for pucca, temporary, duplicate, renewal, vehicle replacement, transfer, LPG, and CNG retro fitment
- Licence issuance to conductors through form CL
- Issuing a no-objection certificate/ fitness certificate provided the applicant submits the Motor Vehicle tax payment proof
Andaman and Nicobar RTO Codes
Port Blair - Andaman District
Car Nicobar - Nicobar District
How to Get Motor Insurance in Andaman and Nicobar Islands (AN)?
According to the 1988 Motor Vehicles Act, all vehicles must be properly insured before driving on the roads. The 2 broad categories of car insurance include 3rd party car insurance and comprehensive car insurance.
How to Obtain Andaman and Nicobar Car Insurance?
For the purpose of purchasing car insurance from the Andaman and Nicobar RTO, you might opt for either an online or offline application process. There are various insurance providers offering different insurance sum amounts for you to choose from. The detailed steps are as follows:
- Reach your car insurance company in person or through their online portal
- Fill out the application form
- Choose your required car insurance policy by submitting all the necessary documents
- Make the payment offline or via online mode
- Collect the receipt and policy information at their office or ask them to email it to you
How to Buy Two Wheeler Insurance in Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
In our country, third-party two-wheeler insurance is compulsory. While buying a policy, it is recommended to notice the policy terms, 3rd party coverage, no claim bonus, personal accident cover, claim settlement ratio, and garage network. The insurance premium to be paid will be based upon your two-wheeler's type, make, and model number.
How Will RTO Affect Your Vehicle Insurance Premium in Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
The AN RTO, where your 2-wheeler or car is registered, will play a significant role in arriving at your final motor insurance premium amount. Based on the risks linked with the vehicles, the country's locations are categorized into several 'insurance zones' by the insurance companies. For example, vehicles registered in urban areas are expected to pay a higher premium cost due to their increased risk of theft, accidents, and vandalism. Whereas the premium amount due will be very less if your vehicle is being registered in a 2nd or 3rd tier city with a low population rate.
How to Get Vehicle Registration in Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
According to the MV Act, buying a new car or transferring a car from another state, you must register the car at the appropriate AP RTO office.
Vehicle Registration Types in Andaman and Nicobar RTO
Two types of vehicle registration are currently possible in the RTOs located in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands:
- Permanent Vehicle Registration: The Motor Vehicle Act’s Section 39 makes it mandatory for obtaining permanent vehicle registration for driving within the limits of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Hence it is a punishable offense if someone tries to drive without possessing a valid Registration Certificate (RC)
- Temporary Vehicle Registration: Suppose, if a vehicle's owner wishes to take it to another state other than its state of registration, they have to apply for temporary registration. However, such temporary vehicle registration is not renewable and valid for one month only.
Ownership Transfer Andaman and Nicobar RTO
Under AN RTO, ownership transfer can be made under any of the following three different situations:
- For normal transfers, the transferor has to report an ownership change to the AN RTO, where both transferee and transferor reside or operate their business
- In death cases, the vehicle's successor can use it for 90 days after giving prior information. The successor has to register it in their name at this grace period allotted.
- Vehicles bought at public auctions done by the Central or State governments must be registered in the buyer's name within a month of possession.
Registration Renewal in Andaman and Nicobar RTO
To renew your Certificate of Registration in Andaman and Nicobar RTO, the application must be made through Form 25. Bear in mind that you must apply at least two months before the expiry date of your existing registration. The registration renewal fee will be paid to the Registration Authority at AN RTO, as per rule 81 of the 1989 Central Motor Vehicle Regulations. The pre-requisite for registration renewal are your RC book, vehicle, and Pollution under control certificate.
Duplicate R.C in Andaman and Nicobar RTO
For obtaining a duplicate R.C certificate at Andaman and Nicobar RTO, the application must be made through Form 26. The fee will be collected based on Rule 81 of the Central Motor Vehicles Act to the Registration authority at AN RTO. It is mandatory to produce a police certificate and a "pollution under control” certificate when applying.
Andaman and Nicobar RTO Contact Details
Andaman and Nicobar RTO Port Blair
Address: Tagore Road, Port Blair, Andaman District - 744101
Andaman and Nicobar RTO Car Nicobar
Address: Nicobar District, Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Add ons for your Car Insurance
Andaman and Nicobar Islands RTO FAQS
1. Can I pay road tax in Andaman and Nicobar Islands online?
Yes, you can opt for online road tax payment in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
2. How many RTOs are there in Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
There are two RTOs in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
3. What is the fine for driving without a driving licence in Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
You would have to pay a fine of INR 500 for driving without a driving licence in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
4. Can I drive a vehicle in Andaman and Nicobar Islands registered in another state?
Yes, you can drive a vehicle registered in another state in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
5. Can I change the ownership of a vehicle online under Andaman and Nicobar RTO?
Yes, you can change the ownership of a vehicle online under Andaman and Nicobar RTO.
Recent ArticlesView All
Availing a car insurance without a driving license can be possible under certain circumstances. Know what are ...Read More
Are you looking for the difference between third-party and first-party insurance? Learn the difference on the ...Read More
Difference between comprehensive and third-party car insurance: Comprehensive policy covers both own damages a...Read More