Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Enter 4-Wheeler number to get Quote
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
Ladakh is a union territory carved out from the erstwhile Jammu and Kashmir in 2019. Accordingly, the two RTOs functioning under Section 213 (1) of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, have been converted into components of Ladakh RTO. Though Ladakh is sparsely populated, the task of the RTO in Leh and Kargil is cut out due to the massive influx of tourists using vehicles administered by the Territory’s Transport Department. Therefore, safety, pollution control, and providing a seamless transport network are the primary concern of the commissioner heading the department.
Functions of Ladakh Regional Transport Department
- Driving Licence: The act does not permit driving vehicles on Indian roads without a valid driving licence. Accordingly, the Ladakh RTO Office manages the entire gamut of driving licence-related activities, including issuance, renewal, and duplicate. However, the Learner and Permanent licence is issued after conducting appropriate tests.
- Conductor Licence: In addition to the elaborate driving licence mechanism, you can obtain a conductor’s licence at the LA RTO.
- Registration of Motor Vehicle: It is mandatory to register all the vehicles sold at the company showroom or at the dealer to enable the buyer to drive them home. Therefore, the dealer applies to the respective RTO on behalf of the buyer for registration to expedite the process.
- Fitness/NOC: A fitness certificate is necessary for commercial vehicles and private vehicles renewing registration. While it is annual for the former, the registration period is expiring for the latter. On the other hand, the NOC from the LA RTO is essential when ownership transfer is proposed or shifting the vehicle to another location.
- Online Permits Application and Objection System for Vehicles: The Ladakh RTO Online services issue various tourist and transportation permits for commercial, passenger, and school vehicles. In addition, interstate and national permits are also managed by the RTO.
Ladakh (LA) RTO Codes
|Kargil||LA01||Kargil District||Old JK07|
|Leh||LA02||Leh District||Old JK10|
How to Get Motor Insurance in Ladakh (LA)?
Driving on Ladakh roads poses multiple challenges. The territory boasts the highest motorable road and some of the world’s highest mountain passes. However, these are just the tip of the iceberg. In such a landscape, insurers provide suitable insurance plans to protect man and the machine. In addition, it complies with the MV Act mandating compulsory motor insurance. Thus, you find all the major insurers serving the Union Territory providing cashless garages in Leh to cater to the maintenance and service requirements.
How to Get Car Insurance in Ladakh (LA)?
The dealer facilitates the first insurance during the sale process. Then upon renewal, the car owner has an eclectic choice in buying a suitable policy. The best option is to buy the policy online at the insurer’s or the aggregator’s portal in the following steps.
- Enter the Ladakh vehicle registration details and the contact information.
- The list of plans from various insurers in the zone pops up, displaying the proposed quotes assuming there were no claims in the interim.
- You are free to change and refresh the quotes to select the best matching preferences.
- Pay the premium and download the policy.
How to Get Two Wheeler Insurance in Ladakh (LA)?
The rules applicable to the two-wheeler policy are no different from the car policy, except that you can choose tenures of 2 or 3 years to avoid the hassle of annual renewal. While you can choose compulsory third-party insurance, most owners choose a comprehensive policy for its broader coverage, including an add-on for extending it further.
How Does the RTO Impact Your Vehicle Insurance Premium in Ladakh?
Many factors come into play while insurers decide to quote a premium for your vehicle. A crucial factor is the registered RTO signifying its location. It is assumed that vehicles encounter fewer perils in the districts than in cities for the difference in traffic volume. The benefit is passed on to the insured at a lower premium for identical coverage.
How to Get Vehicle Registration in Ladakh?
According to Section 39 of the MV Act, 1988, no vehicle should be using the Indian roads without registration. Vehicle buyers are saved the hassle of registering their vehicles on purchase as the dealer does the needful on their behalf. However, Ladakh RTO is equipped to handle all registration-related services, apart from new registration.
Registration Types in Ladakh RTO
Permanent: Private vehicles are initially registered for 15 years which are renewable in 5-years blocks. However, commercial vehicle registration is subject to an annual fitness certificate.
Temporary: The validity period is 30 days, during which the vehicle must be registered permanently. However, the period is extended for failure to register within one month.
Ownership Transfer in Ladakh RTO
You can apply for ownership transfer under three scenarios. First, in the case of a normal transfer. In this, the transferor has to inform the ownership change to the Ladakh RTO in which both the concerned parties reside or have a place of business.
Second, in case of death, the possession's successor can utilise the vehicle for three months as if the vehicle has already been transferred to them. This must be done after informing the authorities. However, the successor must get the vehicle assigned to their name within these three months.
Third, if you buy a vehicle at an auction conducted publicly on behalf of the State or Central Government, you must register the car within 30 days of taking possession.
Registration Renewal in Ladakh RTO
In addition to the typical application in the prescribed form, present the vehicle for inspection before approval. The following documents are required:
- R.C. Book
- Pollution Under Control Certificate
Duplicate RC in Ladakh RTO
Apply for a duplicate RC at the Ladakh RTO if your original RC is mutilated, damaged, lost, or stolen. In addition to the prescribed form, submit a copy of the police complaint about loss or theft. You will need the following documents:
- Police Certificate
- Pollution Under Control Certificate
Contact Information of Ladakh RTO:
Address: ARTO Agling, Leh, Ladakh 194101
Phone: + 91 9419144996
Address: Kargil, Ladakh 194103
Phone: 01985 234038
Ladakh RTO FAQS
1. How do you obtain a Learner’s Licence at Ladakh RTO?
Apply at the Ladakh RTO Online and upload documents before paying the requisite fees. Appear at the online evaluation test, and on passing, you receive a Learner’s Licence valid for six months.
2. How much is the deadline for registering your vehicle after purchase at Ladakh RTO?
You must register the newly bought vehicle at the local RTO within seven days from the purchase date.
3. Is your insurance coverage denied if your vehicle is damaged while driving with an invalid driving licence?
Driving without a valid licence is an exclusion from motor insurance across all the insurers as it also violates the MV Act, 1988.
4. How much is the validity period of a driving licence?
The driving licence is valid from the date of issue for 20 years, or the holder turns 50, whichever is earlier. Subsequently, the validity periods are ten and five years for private vehicles.
5. What is fine for driving an uninsured vehicle in Ladakh?
If caught driving an uninsured vehicle in Ladakh, you will have to pay INR 2000.
Recent ArticlesView All
Availing a car insurance without a driving license can be possible under certain circumstances. Know what are ...Read More
Are you looking for the difference between third-party and first-party insurance? Learn the difference on the ...Read More
Difference between comprehensive and third-party car insurance: Comprehensive policy covers both own damages a...Read More