Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Enter 4-Wheeler number to get Quote
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
Thane Regional Transport Office (RTO) serves the citizens of the Thane region in Maharashtra. Thane is the 16th largest urban settlement in India and handles a lot of traffic. The need for transportation networks connecting the city to Mumbai and Navi Mumbai is paramount.
The Thane RTO office is responsible for monitoring and implementing the various provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. Headed by the Commissioner of Transport Thane, the BRTO office executes the relevant clauses of Section 213(1) of the Motor Vehicles Act in ensuring the road safety of the citizens of the Thane region.
Functions Performed by the Thane Transport Department
The Thane RTO office is responsible for the following functions:
- Issuing Learner Licences: All instances of issuance, renewal, and monitoring of Learner’s Licences within its jurisdiction.
- Controlling Permanent Licences: The Thane RTO is the go-to place for all permanent driving licences in the Thane region. Individuals who have cleared their driving and knowledge test and would want a driving licence need to approach the RTO office for new issues, renewal, and updating of details.
- Facilitating Conductor Licences: Conductor licences for the state carriages can be obtained from the Thane RTO office.
- Vehicle Registration Services: All owners and operators within the RTO jurisdiction area need to register their vehicles with the Thane RTO office. The registration needs to be periodically renewed for the vehicle to be considered roadworthy.
- Ownership Records: Thane RTO office is responsible for maintaining records of all vehicle ownerships, both commercial and private, within its jurisdiction. No transfer of ownership is deemed complete without the RTO being in the loop.
- Fitness/No Objection Certificates: Vehicle owners and operators can approach the RTO office for issuance of Fitness/No Objection Certificates. These are essential documents for a vehicle's mandatory paperwork.
- Taxation: The Thane RTO office holds power to collect government-mandated road and vehicular taxes. All taxation records are maintained at the RTO office in compliance with the statutory requirements of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
- Permits and Approvals: National permits and approvals necessary for cross-state travel and operation can be obtained from the Thane RTO office.
Thane RTO Code
How to Get Motor Insurance in Thane?
As per the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, all motor vehicles must carry motor insurance coverage to be considered roadworthy. The onus here is on the owner/operator before legally operating their vehicle. They can therefore choose to opt for either comprehensive or third-party coverage based on their risk appetite before taking their vehicle on the road.
How to Get Car Insurance in Thane?
Car owners in Thane can choose to avail insurance cover through both online and offline mode from a host of vehicle insurers. They can compare the insurance package in terms of both premium required and other features offered. Once they have identified their preferred car insurance company, they need to follow these steps to gain coverage for their vehicles:
- Log on to the insurer’s website (for online) or visit their office (for offline mode).
- Fill out the relevant application form, indicating the preferred insurance plan.
- Submit all applicable documents, failing which the insurance application may be rejected.
- Pay the indicated premium amount either online or in person.
- Collect the payment and insurance details, either by email or in person.
Please note that the insurance details must always be carried alongside the vehicle paperwork.
How to Get Two Wheeler Insurance in Thane?
In line with the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, all two-wheeler owners must have third-party insurance at all times. Under Thane RTO, they have the option of availing of this in either offline or online mode. The insurance premium payable is calculated based on the age, make, and model of the two-wheeler.
Owners then need to follow the steps covered above in the last section to ensure that their vehicle complies with the mandatory insurance coverage requirements.
How Does RTO Impact Your Vehicle Insurance Premium in Thane?
RTO jurisdiction plays a vital role in deciding the premium amount while insuring a motor vehicle. RTO offices across the nation have been graded based on the amount of risk involved, directly impacting the payable premium. Metro city jurisdiction RTOs, with a higher associated risk of accidents, theft, or vandalism, tend to have higher associated premiums as compared to the Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities with smaller population and minimal traffic.
Thane is considered to be a Metro City RTO for this purpose.
How to Get Vehicle Registration in Thane?
Vehicle owners can opt for temporary or permanent registration under the Thane RTO office, depending on the stage of ownership of their automobile.
Vehicle Registration Type in Thane RTO
New vehicle owners need to apply for a seven-day temporary registration, with the proviso that they must apply for permanent registration within this period. They may also choose to apply for an extension in case of any unforeseen delays. Applications for registration must be made in Form 20, backed by the relevant documents as may be mandated from time to time. The same Form 20 can be used to apply for permanent registration.
Ownership Transfer in Thane RTO
Vehicle ownership transfer under the Thane RTO office can be divided into three categories.
- Normal Transfer: The current owner and the transferee must inform the RTO of their intention. The sale process would need to be accompanied by a No Objection Certificate for the transaction to be considered legal.
- Succession: In the event of the death of the registered owner, their successor has the right to operate the vehicle for three months. Within this time, they need to inform the RTO office of the change in ownership and apply for new registration under their name.
- Auction Sale: For vehicles purchased at Central or State Government auctions, the new owner needs to apply with the respective RTO for a change in the ownership details within 30 days from the conclusion of the auction.
Registration Renewal in Thane RTO
As per the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, all current vehicle registrations need to be renewed at least 60 days before the expiry of the current registration. Owners need to apply with the following:
- Form 25
- R.C. Book
- P.U.C Certificate
Duplicate Registration in Thane RTO
Vehicle owners can seek a duplicate of their original registration by applying on Form 26, supported by a Police certificate. The concerned fee would be submitted to the RTO.
Thane RTO Contact Details
Address: Opposite Central Jail, Thane, Maharashtra, 400601
Phone: +91-22-25343580, +91-22-25363838, +91-22-25442555
Email: rto.04‐ email@example.com
Thane RTO Website: https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in
Thane RTO FAQS
1. What age should I be applying for my Learner’s Licence in Thane RTO?
You should be 16 years or above to apply for a learner’s licence.
2. Do I need a medical certificate for getting a permanent driver’s licence in Thane RTO?
A fitness certificate is applicable only for applicants above the age of 50.
3. What are the office hours for the Thane RTO office?
Thane RTO office hours are 10 AM – 5:30 PM.
4. What documents do I need for an address change in the Certificate of Registration from Thane RTO?
- Registration Certification
- Residency proof within RTO jurisdiction
- PUC certificate
- Tax payment proof
4. Is a manufacturer’s certificate necessary to register a commercial vehicle under Thane RTO?
Yes, to register a commercial vehicle under the Thane RTO, you have to submit a certificate by the manufacturer.
Recent ArticlesView All
Availing a car insurance without a driving license can be possible under certain circumstances. Know what are ...Read More
Are you looking for the difference between third-party and first-party insurance? Learn the difference on the ...Read More
Difference between comprehensive and third-party car insurance: Comprehensive policy covers both own damages a...Read More