Starting at only ₹6 per Day*
Enter your details to buy Car Insurance
By proceeding you agree to Terms & Conditions
- Compare and buy at best price
- Instant Policy Issuance
- No unwanted calls. We promise!
The Ahmedabad RTO was established under Section 213(1) of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, to enforce provisions enshrined in the Act, allied acts, and rules for transport management in Gujarat. In addition, the office is empowered to frame policies, implement, monitor, coordinate, and regulate roles aligned with Gujarat’s transport system. A commissioner of transport heads the department to oversee the implementation of the Act’s provisions and rules to ensure an organized transport network in the city.
Functions of Ahmedabad Regional Transport Department
The Ahmedabad transport department is primarily mandated to enforce the MV Act, 1988, in the city. In addition, the RTO Office implements laws related to registration, licences, and appropriately applied tax collection. They are also empowered to penalize transport lawbreakers in the city. The below-mentioned list describes various RTO functions.
1. Driving Licence: The Ahmedabad RTO Office provides offline and online driving licence related services aligned with the national Sarathi portal. The various types of licences issued to individuals over 18 years are:
- Motor Cycle of 50 CC capacity or below
- Gearless two-wheelers
- Geared two-wheelers
- Light Motor Vehicle (LMV), the category covers all cars
- Medium/ Heavy Duty commercial vehicles
2. Vehicle Registration: The MV Act prohibits any unregistered vehicles on Indian roads. Accordingly, the Ahmedabad RTO provides the citizens comprehensive registration services, including new, renewal, transfer, duplicate, and NOC for vehicles relocated to other states.
3. Fitness/ NOC: Commercial vehicles must mandatorily obtain fitness certificates every year to continue their operations. On the other hand, private vehicles seek the certification while renewing their registration, for which the Ahmedabad RTO conducts a physical inspection.
4. Online Permits Application and Objection System for Vehicles: The Ahmedabad RTO issues all kinds of permits to enable the vehicle to operate nationally besides conducting tourism. In addition, school buses and passenger transport need to obtain suitable permits for their operations.
In addition to the above-listed functions, the Ahmedabad RTO plays a crucial role in the following areas:
- Revenue collection
- Inspecting vehicles passing through the check-posts
- Enforcing Pollution Under Control norms with compulsory tests
- Environment upgrades through the proactive promotion of LPG and CNG fuel
- Enforcing road safety norms and regulations
Ahmedabad (GJ) RTO Codes
How to Get Motor Insurance in Ahmedabad?
Ahmedabad is the capital of Gujarat and the country’s fifth-largest city. The growing commercial hub boasts a prolific increase in vehicular traffic, compelling insurers to throng the city with innovative insurance plans. Moreover, motor vehicle insurance is compulsory for all vehicles plying on Indian roads according to the MV Act, 1988. You can choose from a third-party and comprehensive insurance policy for your vehicle.
How to Get Car Insurance in Ahmedabad?
You can tailor your car insurance online in simple steps at the insurer portal and the aggregators. The user-friendly interface guides you through the hassle-free process.
- Input your car’s registration number and other information, including contact details.
- Select the add-on cover and enter it if claimed during the expiring tenure.
- A series of plans from various insurers quoting premiums pop up.
- Choose the plan quote that matches your requirements and pay the premium online to get the insurance of your choice.
How to Get Two Wheeler Insurance in Ahmedabad?
The procedure for buying two-wheeler insurance is similar to car insurance, with the added benefit of longer tenures of 2 or 3 years, helping avoid the hassle of annual renewal. While only the third-party cover is compulsory, most owners prefer the comprehensive cover.
How Does the RTO Impact Your Vehicle Insurance Premium?
The insurer considers the RTO details in the vehicle’s RC to quote a premium while evaluating your application for an insurance plan. The assumption is that city traffic poses enhanced hazards for the vehicle than the countryside. Accordingly, vehicles registered in city RTOs pay a higher premium than district RTOs.
How to Get Vehicle Registration in Ahmedabad?
The Ahmedabad RTO Office provides two types of registration – temporary and permanent. Let us study them in greater detail.
Vehicle Registration Types in Ahmedabad RTO
- Temporary Registration: The dealer temporarily registers the vehicle while selling to enable the owner to drive home. It is valid for thirty days within which the vehicle must be registered permanently.
- Permanent Registration: The permanent registration or the RC must be with the vehicle at all times. You can register your vehicle at the Ahmedabad RTO Office with the required documents.
Vehicle Ownership Transfer in Ahmedabad RTO
To begin, you must obtain a NOC from the RTO in the location where your vehicle is registered. If your vehicle is not registered in Ahmedabad, you must first begin the RC transfer process by de-registering it at the original RTO. This can be accomplished by following the steps below:
- By submitting a completed Form 28 to your original RTO, you can obtain a NOC.
- You must obtain a Form 29 from your original RTO if your vehicle is not registered with any RTO in Ahmedabad.
The new owner of the vehicle must submit all required documentation to the Ahmedabad RTO, as well as pay a fee. The owner can begin the re-registration process after he or she receives the NOC from the state.
RC Renewal in Ahmedabad RTO
The Ahmedabad RTO renews the RC of personal vehicles as the 15-year validity nears expiry. The procedure involves application using the following:
- Application in Form 25
- Original RC
- PUC certificate
- Up to date road tax receipt
- Insurance policy
- Owner’s KYC documents
Duplicate RC in Ahmedabad RTO
If your original RC is mutilated, damaged, lost, or stolen, you can get a duplicate RC at the Ahmedabad RTO. However, you must adhere to the following procedure before the duplicate RC is handed over.
- Apply using Form 26
- Furnish a copy of the police report about the loss or theft of the RC
- NOC from the financier if the vehicle is under hire purchase
- Owner’s KYC documents
- PUC certificate
- Insurance document
Ahmedabad RTO Contact Details
Ahmedabad RTO (GJ01)
Address: Subhash Bridge, Sabarmati, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, 380037
Phone: +91 79 27559696
Ahmedabad RTO East (GJ27)
Address: Mahadev Nagar, Vastral, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, 380023
Phone: +91 79 27559695
Add ons for your Car Insurance
Ahmedabad RTO FAQs
1. What is the time frame for vehicle registration in Ahmedabad RTO?
The vehicle must be registered permanently at the Ahmedabad RTO within seven days from the sale. However, you can buy additional 30 days through a temporary registration before completing formalities for the permanent.
2. What is the permitted period to convert the learner license to a permanent driving license at Ahmedabad RTO?
The Learner’s License is issued after passing the evaluation test and is valid for 3 months. However, you must appear at the driving test for the proper driving license within six months.
3. When and why do you need a NOC and NDC?
When you relocate from another state to Gujarat and apply for a registration new mark, a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the parent RTO is compulsory. On the other hand, The NDC (No dues Certificate) is required when registering ownership transfer of a vehicle brought from another state.
4. When is the physical inspection of the private vehicle necessary at Ahmedabad RTO?
The vehicle is physically inspected when applying for address updates in the RC, ownership transfer, and registration renewal.
5. What are the working hours of Ahmedabad RTO?
The working hours for Ahmedabad RTO are 10.30 AM to 6.00 PM.
Recent ArticlesView All
Availing a car insurance without a driving license can be possible under certain circumstances. Know what are ...Read More
Are you looking for the difference between third-party and first-party insurance? Learn the difference on the ...Read More
Difference between comprehensive and third-party car insurance: Comprehensive policy covers both own damages a...Read More